SASS Wire Forum

Unknown 22LR headstamp

sassnetguy50

Ammunition and firearms, though mostly shotgun ammunition and shotguns, from the Eastern Bloc were by no means uncommon here in Denmark during the cold war. There were a few Danish importers who specialized in that field.

Baikal is still a big brand when it comes to shotguns here - and you will also find the occasional Baikal Margolin pistol in .22LR.

13 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

What level is a Baikal shotgun there?  I've only seen economy models imported here years ago.

It is my impression that Baikal has always been a budget brand here, the more high-end models being reserved for the Soviet elite at the time.

Generally Baikals, even the cheaper optians, are fairly high quality - if not slightly rough. Baikals are known to requite a fairly long break-in period due to very tight tolerances.

Today it would probably be possible to import Baikals more high-end offerings, but considering the lack of prestige connected to the brand outside of Russia, I doubt anyone would find it feasible.

Baikal made (makes?) a very nice double barrel pseudo hammer shotgun (the "hammers" are not hammers, but external cocking pieces) which I am rather fond of, I would very much like to get my hands on one for CAS. They are extremely durable and hard wearing guns.

Archived