SASS Wire Forum

Prince of the Pistoleers, June 10-12, 2021

Parson Remington

The nights are still cold right now, but it's time to start planning for the 2021 Prince of the Pistoleers hosted by the Powder Creek Cowboys! This is an awesome match you don't want to miss!  Get your apps in today!

The application went up last week and we already have over 30 in.  Folks coming from California, Texas, Colorado and other points heading to EOT.  We only have room for 150 shooters, so looking like we will fill up.

We hope you can join us outside of Kansas City.  

Here is the application: https://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/  

Dang, was going to get this sent last week better get on it before I forget again, see you there Parson!  SCJ

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have to see if I can make it this year.

Hope you can.  I can promise you a number of good laughs if you are on my posse - I am switching to FRONTIERSMEN for this.  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Parson Remington said:

Hope you can.  I can promise you a number of good laughs if you are on my posse - I am switching to FRONTIERSMEN for this.  :rolleyes:

I have corrupted another soul...muwahahaha

I'll look into this match, It's my birthday weekend so seems like a good way to spend it.  Maybe I'll have enough stuff figured out by then to shoot frontiersman, so far I haven't made the switch to BP in my rifle and shotgun.

I sent our apps to Cooncan the day they came out.

Hmmmmm that would be the weekend before I go through there headed to EOT.  Not sure I can swing those days off only 1-1/2 weeks after the Classic Showdown in Iowa and right before I am gone for 11 days for the EOT trip. I always wanted to attend this event.

2 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Hmmmmm that would be the weekend before I go through there headed to EOT.  Not sure I can swing those days off only 1-1/2 weeks after the Classic Showdown in Iowa and right before I am gone for 11 days for the EOT trip. I always wanted to attend this event.

We would love to have you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we have almost 50 applications in, about one third of capacity and three and half months to go.  It is lookin' like we will fill up.IMG_5566(1).jpg.0f0316d651f282f5b50c9aedd48be460.jpg8

As an incentive to get your application in early (and help us on planning meals, etc.) the Board agreed that those that get their applications in by April 1, will be put in a drawing and one lucky shooter will get a their entry fee returned.  

When you come we don't want to see you go home empty handed.  Lots of door prizes and raffle items, including a CZ long gun, Hornady powder, a Mernickle Wild Bunch rig, and a Frederick Remington based bronze statute, titled "Outlaw", which stands 14 inches tall.

Still thinking about this, are bigger matches like this pretty good places for new guys like me to come and shoot?  or would it be better to save my cash, show up and watch and shoot some monthlies first?  I definitely have Powder Creek on my list of clubs I want to check out.  I think I'd like to come, meet people and check out any vendors etc even if I don't shoot.  Let me know what you guys think.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

Still thinking about this, are bigger matches like this pretty good places for new guys like me to come and shoot?  or would it be better to save my cash, show up and watch and shoot some monthlies first?  I definitely have Powder Creek on my list of clubs I want to check out.  I think I'd like to come, meet people and check out any vendors etc even if I don't shoot.  Let me know what you guys think.

Have you shot any monthly matches yet? If not do you plan to do so before the match?

No one will turn you away if your first match is a big match. Your fellow shooters will do everything they can to assist you.

That said; paying the extra cash and discovering on the first stage that you have a firearm issue, gun leather issue, or end up getting a MDQ on the first day because you are in information overload trying to process everything can really sting.

What separates the men from the boys is how a shooter reacts when they MDQ the 2nd or third round fired on the first stage of a two day match. The true Cowboy / Cowgirl will be able to laugh at themselves, put their firearms away, and spend the rest of that day and the next doing posse chores. It isn't an easy thing to do. I know because I did just that at a two day match. First day, First stage, First Firearm. Had a cap jam and while attempting to clear it I put a round into the table. I bit my tongue then laughed and kept a stiff upper lip. per local custom, I even autographed the hole in the table. Did posse chores the rest of the day. Showed up the next morning and did them all the next day. Figured I paid my money just as well make the best of it. The upside was I didn't have any guns to clean or any dirty brass.

Only you can make the determination, but you should consider all the possibilities

Sedalia Dave's advise is spot on.  I have had the pleasure to shoot with him twice and there is not a finer person to have on your posse.

El Cupa Joe, come up and do a match at Powder Creek.  Bring the guns you have.  Let us know before you come and we will have folks ready to help.  Your first monthly  shoot is free.  Even though primers (caps, too) and ammo are a bit tight, we will help you out.  We will let you try out our guns so you can learn options you may not have thought of.  We were all new once and benefited from the kind assistance of others.

"Bigger" matches are good places for all levels of shooters.  They are a great place to learn by watching those who are accomplished - watch how they stage their guns, how they transition from one to another.  You can ask questions and folks will be happy to answer and suggest matters you would not have thought of.  More than that, "Bigger" matches offer you a chance to meet folks like Dave, and make friends.  Cowboy shooting is a competition but it is more - it is the people who partake that make the sport.  Go to the surrounding monthly matches; meet the folks; come to Annual matches and meet others from a bit farther.  Your life will be enriched.

@Sedalia Daveand @Parson Remington, Thanks for the advice, I went to a monthly in Wichita in December and I had known issues with my guns and some of those are still unresolved. Still weighing my options.  I may work to better my shooting abilities and safety practices at another monthly or two but try to drop in for this match to meet people.  

I have wanted to shoot this match for some time and can this year. I will be dropping my application in the mail today and will bring Trail Agent with me.  Looks like it will be a fun one!

• 2 weeks later...

Less than a week remains to get your application in (before April 1) to be in a drawing to get your application fee refunded.

Last week I had a few messages from people traveling to the Prince of Pistoleers on their way to EOT asking about what there is to do in Kansas City while they stop over.  So I put together a brief list that should have something for everyone:

MUSEUMS

1.     NATIONAL WWI MUSEUM AND MEMORIAL   - National WWI Museum and Memorial (theworldwar.org)  The Liberty Memorial, located at the National World War I Museum in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, is a memorial to service men and women who served in World War I. Fundraising began October, 1919 and groundbreaking commenced on November 1, 1921 when the city held a site dedication. The memorial was completed and dedicated on November 11, 1926. On September 21, 2006, Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne declared Liberty Memorial a National Historic Landmark. It is the only Museum in North America dedicated to the events leading to World War I, the War and its aftermath.  It is easy to spend an entire day looking at the exhibits and participating in the interactive displays. 

2.    THE NELSON-ATKINS MUSEUM OF ART - The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art - Kansas City (nelson-atkins.org)   One of the premier Art Museums in the United States and Nelson-Atkins has the largest collection of Oriental Art in North America as well as an extensive collection of Renaissance and Classical pieces.  

3.    The Johnson County Museum - Museum | Johnson County Park & Rec, KS (jcprd.com)  Nostalgic for the 1950’s?  If so, this is the place to visit with its “All Eclectic House of the Future” built in 1953, car collection and more.

4.    THE PRAIRIEFIRE MUSEUM - Museum at Prairiefire (visitthemap.org)  A towering Tyrannosaurus rex. Colossal sea creatures. Soaring reptiles from our ancient Kansan past. Live animal encounters, dinosaur digs, and missions to Space in a Virtual Reality experience.  As well as hosting a variety of dynamic, authentic Natural History exhibitions, the Museum at Prairiefire offerings include regular events, interactive activities and programs for adults and kids.

5.    THE NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL MUSEUM - Baseball Museum - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum - Kansas City, MO (nlbm.com)  The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum (NLBM) is the world’s only museum dedicated to preserving and celebrating the rich history of African-American baseball and its impact on the social advancement of America. The privately funded, 501 c3, not-for-profit organization was established in 1990 and is in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri’s Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District. The NLBM operates two blocks from the Paseo YMCA where Andrew “Rube” Foster established the Negro National League in 1920.

6.    THE AMERICAN JAZZ MUSEUM - American Jazz Museum |  Located in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District in Kansas City, MO, the American Jazz Museum showcases the sights and sounds of jazz through interactive exhibits and films, the Changing Gallery exhibit space, Horace M. Peterson III Visitors Center, The Blue Room, and Gem Theater. Since its inception in September 1997, the Museum hosts thousands of students, scholars, musicians and fans of the arts for over 200 performances, education programs, special exhibitions, community events and more each year, providing an opportunity to learn about the legends, honor their legacy, or simply enjoy the sounds of modern day jazz.

7.    MAHAFFIE STAGECOACHSTOP AND FARMSTEAD - Visit | Mahaffie, Olathe, KS  Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm invites visitors of all ages to discover a working 1860s farm with horses, chickens, sheep, and other livestock. You and your family can engage in some of the activities that were a part of daily life for the Mahaffie family and their neighbors.

8.    OLD MISSOURI TOWN 1855 - Missouri Town 1855 - Mask required for entry | Jackson County Parks + Rec, MO (makeyourdayhere.com)  Experience the sights, sounds, and smells of a small Missouri town on the eve of the Civil War. Missouri Town 1855 is a living history museum with more than 25 buildings dating from 1820 – 1860 spread across nearly 30 picturesque acres. Original structures from seven western Missouri counties are filled with historic tools and furnishings, setting the stage for life in the mid-1800s.  During your self-guided tour, living history interpreters, heirloom crops, and heritage breed livestock will tell the story of daily life in the small 19th century towns of this region.

9.   JESSE JAMES BIRTHPLACE AND MUSEUM - Jesse James Birthplace :: Jesse James Museum  The James log cabin farmhouse, built-in 1822, has witnessed many generations of James family history. It was to this isolated cabin that the Reverend Robert James brought his young wife Zerelda and infant son Frank in 1845. This is where Jesse was born in 1847, and years later, Union soldiers seeking the whereabouts of Frank James, beat Jesse and tortured his stepfather Dr. Reuben Samuel by repeatedly hanging him from a tree in the front yard.

10.  THE MINE CREEK BATTLEFIELD STATE PARK - Mine Creek Battlefield - Plan your visit - Kansas Historical Society (kshs.org)  An hour south is the site of the Mine Creek Battle.  On October 25, 1864, on the banks of Mine Creek, two Union brigades of approximately 2,500 troops defeated approximately 7,000 Confederates from General Sterling Price's Army of Missouri.  The visitor center tells the story of the Civil War in the West and the significance of the Battle of Mine Creek.

11.  THE HARRY S. TRUMAN PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY AND TRUMAN HOME, NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE -  https://www.nps.gov/hstr/index.htm AND https://www.trumanlibrary.gov.  The Truman home is open for tours, but the Presidential Library and Museum are currently closed.

SPORTS

1.   THE KANSAS CITY ROYALS - Buy Tickets Now | 2021 Season (royals-tickets.org)  The Weekend of POP the Kansas City Royals will be hosting the Oakland Athletics.  There will be games Friday night, after the stages are over, and Sunday afternoon.

2.   KANSAS CITY SPORTING (SOCCER) – no games scheduled in town in the two weeks before or after POP.

Come and enjoy the Match and our hospitality!

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If I visit all that I'll be too tired to shoot????

:P

Naw, not you.  You may need to spend a week or so here to do it justice.  

My opinion - for what it's worth - they are all worth a visit, but if I had to pick one it would be the National World War I Museum and Memorial.  It is unique.  It is also an excellent treatment of The War to End all Wars.  

12 hours ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

Parson you forgot the Arabia boat museum

Good catch and thanks for mentioning it.  I most certainly did forget it, which is bad on me, for it is also worth a visit.  https://www.1856.com/

Our newest stage - the AT&SF  caboose - is nearing completion.  Still needs the baffling installed, a board walk and a berm on the north side - but when you come you will see this, the church  and other renovations to the range.  

We are filling up.  Get those applications in!

FB_IMG_1617393470398.jpg

The question as should you come to this "big match".

This is a "BIG" match in reputation and attendees only.  Smaller range and attitude.  Instead of trying to submerge you in that stinky stuff you might find in my bull pen, they go way out of their way to allow you to rub shoulders with some of the best while seeing how a "professionally run match" feels.

My first "big match" I attended rather than shoot.  Was disappointed cause I could have done better than several of the old timers.  I would not have won anything but I would not have come in last either.  Take your guns make sure the posse is aware it is your first event, have fun.

El CupAJoe,

Too many new shooters wait till they think they have all they need squared away - pistols, rifle, shotgun, leather, gun cart, costume - before ever attending a match as a shooter.  While understandable, this is NOT the best course to follow.

Once you have all of the tools you think you want, you are going to find issues.  For example, you may think that Frontiersman sounds cool (it is), but in competition it can be very frustrating: caps fall into the action for multiple reasons, the pistols may not index for some unknown reason, shotgun shells stick in chambers and on and on.  If it rains or is very humid the guns may not fire.  You will become frustrated and suddenly what was supposed to be fun becomes anything but.  I write this as someone who shot cap and ball pistols at my first match.

After you shoot a few times you may find the category or guns you thought were just right, aren't quite what you thought.  Instead, after talking with other shooters and trying their "toys" you may find that another path is a better fit.     You will only know this once you start shooting.

Like any "game" this one has a learning curve.  The best way to approach that curve, perhaps the only way, is to start shooting.  

You can start at any match.  Big, small, monthly or annual, makes little difference on how fast you climb that curve.  It can make a difference, however, on how you enjoy yourself - and with any game this is foremost about having fun.

At a monthly you have fewer folks and less pressure to move matters along and keep to a schedule.  Most clubs at a monthly match will assign you a mentor to help you follow the safety rules (hammer down on your rifle as you go to the firing line, watch the 170, how to properly stage your guns, don't leave the loading area with your loaded guns because you forgot enough shotgun shells, etc.).  The RO will know to help you follow the shooting  scenario or pattern correctly.  It is more likely that the focus will be on you as the new shooter, to help you.  This also means that if you have a gun issue, people will let you try their guns.  They will talk to you about how little changes, e.g., replacing the nipples on your cap and ball pistols, will solve many potential issues.  Folks will try to do all of this at an annual or big match, but there is a lot more going on, which can lead to you having issues as Sedalia Dave described, which as he also wrote, is not fun after you spent you entry fee and blocked out your weekend.

As Noz wrote, there is no sense being intimidated by the size of a match or waiting till you are at some level to attend.  The key is to get out and just do it.  Start the learning process in earnest.  The people at every club around these parts are not only ready to help, they WANT to help you.  Whether it is Powder Creek, Free State Rangers, Wichita (Chisholm), Capital City Cowboys, Butterfield Gulch, or somewhere else, what matters is getting out and learning.

The thing is you can "do it all".  You can come to a monthy and do one or more annuals.  Prince of Pistoleers is a great annual, but it will not be the only one you can attend.  In mid May there will be Spring Round Up at the Free State Rangers (Parker, KS).  Chisholm Trail will be hosting their annual September 11-12.  A week later, September 17-19, will bring T-Town at the Capital City Cowboys (Topeka).  Two weeks later will be the Kansas State Championship at Parker hosted by the Free State Rangers.  The Blackpowder State Championship will be at Powder Creek October 30-31.  In nearby Missouri, at Marshfield you have the Missouri Blackpowder Championship July 24-25, and the Missouri State Championship September 23-25.

Do we want you and everybody else to come to the Prince of Pistoleers?  Heck, YES.  We are putting a lot of work into making it special.  But more, we want to see you shooting and having fun.

13 hours ago, Parson Remington said:

El CupAJoe,

Too many new shooters wait till they think they have all they need squared away - pistols, rifle, shotgun, leather, gun cart, costume - before ever attending a match as a shooter.  While understandable, this is NOT the best course to follow.

Once you have all of the tools you think you want, you are going to find issues.  For example, you may think that Frontiersman sounds cool (it is), but in competition it can be very frustrating: caps fall into the action for multiple reasons, the pistols may not index for some unknown reason, shotgun shells stick in chambers and on and on.  If it rains or is very humid the guns may not fire.  You will become frustrated and suddenly what was supposed to be fun becomes anything but.  I write this as someone who shot cap and ball pistols at my first match.

After you shoot a few times you may find the category or guns you thought were just right, aren't quite what you thought.  Instead, after talking with other shooters and trying their "toys" you may find that another path is a better fit.     You will only know this once you start shooting.

Like any "game" this one has a learning curve.  The best way to approach that curve, perhaps the only way, is to start shooting.  

You can start at any match.  Big, small, monthly or annual, makes little difference on how fast you climb that curve.  It can make a difference, however, on how you enjoy yourself - and with any game this is foremost about having fun.

At a monthly you have fewer folks and less pressure to move matters along and keep to a schedule.  Most clubs at a monthly match will assign you a mentor to help you follow the safety rules (hammer down on your rifle as you go to the firing line, watch the 170, how to properly stage your guns, don't leave the loading area with your loaded guns because you forgot enough shotgun shells, etc.).  The RO will know to help you follow the shooting  scenario or pattern correctly.  It is more likely that the focus will be on you as the new shooter, to help you.  This also means that if you have a gun issue, people will let you try their guns.  They will talk to you about how little changes, e.g., replacing the nipples on your cap and ball pistols, will solve many potential issues.  Folks will try to do all of this at an annual or big match, but there is a lot more going on, which can lead to you having issues as Sedalia Dave described, which as he also wrote, is not fun after you spent you entry fee and blocked out your weekend.

As Noz wrote, there is no sense being intimidated by the size of a match or waiting till you are at some level to attend.  The key is to get out and just do it.  Start the learning process in earnest.  The people at every club around these parts are not only ready to help, they WANT to help you.  Whether it is Powder Creek, Free State Rangers, Wichita (Chisholm), Capital City Cowboys, Butterfield Gulch, or somewhere else, what matters is getting out and learning.

The thing is you can "do it all".  You can come to a monthy and do one or more annuals.  Prince of Pistoleers is a great annual, but it will not be the only one you can attend.  In mid May there will be Spring Round Up at the Free State Rangers (Parker, KS).  Chisholm Trail will be hosting their annual September 11-12.  A week later, September 17-19, will bring T-Town at the Capital City Cowboys (Topeka).  Two weeks later will be the Kansas State Championship at Parker hosted by the Free State Rangers.  The Blackpowder State Championship will be at Powder Creek October 30-31.  In nearby Missouri, at Marshfield you have the Missouri Blackpowder Championship July 24-25, and the Missouri State Championship September 23-25.

Do we want you and everybody else to come to the Prince of Pistoleers?  Heck, YES.  We are putting a lot of work into making it special.  But more, we want to see you shooting and having fun.

Thanks all for the replies, I think I'll save my match fee for equipment and ammo and try to come observe and meet some people, maybe just Saturday.  We'll see how my schedule works out.  

Abilene Slim, even if you cannot shoot, you need to come for the food, friendship and vendors.  (More on the vendors, later.)

Thought I'd pass along the work being done on the facades.  The old storage container has been gussied up and is now the town church. 

There is more to come!  So get those Prince of Pistoleers Applications in and come join us!

IMG_5602.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of the Vendors who will be at Prince of Pistoleers:

Bill's Custom Ear Plugs
Gibby's Custom Gun Leather
Boiler Plate Jackson
Cowboy Shooters Supply
D Barr J Hats
Shotgun Boogie
T-Star Leather

Here is the application: https://www.powdercreekcowboys.com/  

Come see us this June!

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't sent your application in, your time is disappearing.  We already have more folks this year than last year.   Wait too long and you will miss out.

Archived