SASS Wire Forum

Need help on pricing a vaquero please delete if inappropriate

Heartbreak Highway

Howdy y’all, I am thinking about selling a Ruger new vaquero stainless steel 45 colt 4 3/4 barrel. It’s the Cowboy Fast Draw version with the Dooly Gang grips and shorter hammer spur. It’s only had 25 rounds through it. I bought it thinking I was going to do fast draw and then I had an accident and that is not possible. What would be a fair price for this revolver. Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Four years ago, I bought three of the "fast draw" short spur models in .357 for $610 each. At the moment, centerfire Ruger single actions can't be had, so prices have gone up considerably. As an example, a local shooter here just paid $2225, shipped, for a pair of NIB .45 SASS Vaqueros, plus transfer fee. A year or so back, they could be found for close to half that. Looking at completed auctions on Gunbroker, SASS Vaqueros are consistently selling for over $2000/pair in either caliber. Four weeks ago, a set of new, box stock .357 SASS Vaqueros went for $2449.95, shipped.

This set, I'm really baffled by. The seller's description says, "They appear to have been action tuned...", but no receipts, or even a description of what he thinks may have been done. Consecutive numbered, 5 1/2" stainless .45 original model Vaqueros, in used condition, with an extra set of white plastic grips, and they sold for $3140, shipped. :blink: 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889273009

14 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Four years ago, I bought three of the "fast draw" short spur models in .357 for $610 each. At the moment, centerfire Ruger single actions can't be had, so prices have gone up considerably. As an example, a local shooter here just paid $2225, shipped, for a pair of NIB .45 SASS Vaqueros, plus transfer fee. A year or so back, they could be found for close to half that. Looking at completed auctions on Gunbroker, SASS Vaqueros are consistently selling for over $2000/pair in either caliber. Four weeks ago, a set of new, box stock .357 SASS Vaqueros went for $2449.95, shipped.

This set, I'm really baffled by. The seller's description says, "They appear to have been action tuned...", but no receipts, or even a description of what he thinks may have been done. Consecutive numbered, 5 1/2" stainless .45 original model Vaqueros, in used condition, with an extra set of white plastic grips, and they sold for $3140, shipped. :blink: 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889273009

The only thing I could figure on that set was the grips were real Ivory. Otherwise the bidders got swept up in auction fever.

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The only thing I could figure on that set was the grips were real Ivory. Otherwise the bidders got swept up in auction fever.

That never crossed my mind... If you look at full-resolution pics, they are not symmetrical, neither to themselves nor the other set, as plastic grips should be. There are also areas where the surface isn't uniformly "flat", as if a rasp was used to shape them, and there is a small chip at the bottom of one that doesn't look like fractured plastic.

If they are genuine ivory, can he even legally sell them without some provenance of when/where the ivory came from, as per the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)? If he has that documentation, it makes sense he would have mentioned it in the description. Who knows.

Thanks y’all... I ain’t gots no ivory to sell just the one Ruger with the wood grips there... Some where between 700-900 I guess, I’ll look at gun broker for few days I’m would just want to get a fair price and not take advantage or be taken advantage of... thanks again. 

After all that, I forgot to mention I won an auction on Gunbroker two weeks ago for an essentially new stainless 4 5/8" .44 special New Vaquero for $807.00, so your estimate is probably in the ball park. ;)

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

After all that, I forgot to mention I won an auction on Gunbroker two weeks ago for an essentially new stainless 4 5/8" .44 special New Vaquero for $807.00, so your estimate is probably in the ball park. ;)

I'd say you are correct in your assessment, Sir. I just picked up an older blue 5.5" .357 New Vaquero, unfired with the case for $655.00 off of Gunbroker. It's definitely higher than I would've paid at the beginning of last year. So I would guess the same as far as a special edition model is concerned. Of course, pricing is getting nuttier, too. 

Archived