SASS Wire Forum

A Question For Our Saloonatics - Metal Roof

Calamity Kris

Uno and I went to dinner this evening and passed a house with this type of roof on it.  It's metal textured to look like clay tile.  Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of roof?  We're trying to gather more info on it to determine if it would work for us.

Thank you for your time.

960x0.jpg.04df10c4871ad0bc263a5fb426787ade.jpg

All my buildings have metal Roofs ... 

The house has Inter-lock teflon coated Aluminum Shingles with a 50 year warrantee ...

Jabez Cowboy

I saw several being installed when I lived in Amarillo.  They seemed to hold up well to wind and hail.

Duffield

Thank You for posting this , I had not seen that style of metal 

I have "G" metal on the roof , and will never put a shingle roof on anything again 

I dislike roofing almost as much a plumbing 

be aware it is real slick with even the slightest amount of water on the roof 

CB 

it ain't the fall , it be the sudden STOP at the end , what hurts ya :unsure: 

IMNSHO, metal roofing is fantastic.  My cottage sees wind and driven rain directly off of the ocean.  Asphault shingles flip up, break off and allow water to penetrate.  I've been dry since we shifted to standing seam Galvalume metal roofing, with the added benefits of quick cleaning with the hose and snow that slides right off.  No experience with your particular form of metal roof, but can't see where there would be any significant difference.  Lifetime guarantee is great, too.

LL

10.10.2007 001.jpg

We put a metal roof on our house decades ago, love it. I don't recall seeing the kind you posted, but I pay little attention to such things. May have seen it and thought it was tile.

JHC

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I thought they were common in California. (????)

I live in Florida.  Yes metal roofs are quite common here, especially near the coast.  The picture is of a metal roof designed to look like a clay tile roof.  They do have clay tile roofs in Florida but they aren't very common, for some pretty obvious reasons, like hurricanes.

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

IMNSHO, metal roofing is fantastic.  My cottage sees wind and driven rain directly off of the ocean.  Asphault shingles flip up, break off and allow water to penetrate.  I've been dry since we shifted to standing seam Galvalume metal roofing, with the added benefits of quick cleaning with the hose and snow that slides right off.  No experience with your particular form of metal roof, but can't see where there would be any significant difference.  Lifetime guarantee is great, too.

LL

10.10.2007 001.jpg

If the "Villa Tile" as it's called turns out to be ridiculously expensive, your roof is the style we'll be going with.  We have several neighbors who have it and they love it.   Thanks for the review. 

I'm gonna do my roof this spring in Pro-Panel.The shingles are about 25 yrs old now.

Largo

16 YEARS ON A STEEL ROOF. Happy with it.

It looks like plain ol' delta rib roofing, but in widths instead of lengths - instead of 3' wide x 20' long, or whatever, it looks like 20' wide x 1 long', or whatever.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:19 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

10.10.2007 001.jpg

Loophole,

Beautiful cottage.

After a harsh and severe windstorm, three shingles stood up and stayed there, looked like hands raised in greeting, one row below the peak of our roof.

Our original builder sent a roofer, it's fixed now, he said our roof is reaching the end of its useful life (20 years)

My wife and I discussed metal roofs, so when I first espied this thread, I proceeded to imitate Paul Harvey:

"I am listening with both eyes!"

I will say it's been a REAL learning experience.  Here in Florida, metal is close to double what an asphalt shingle roof is BUT it has much better hurricane rating than shingles and will get us reduced insurance rates.  Cry now or cry later.....  Then there are different types of metal, different thicknesses, painted or sealed then the formed,  like in my picture at the top.  

Mom lives here in Wisconsin.  House is 20+ years old.  She and dad built it.  It was Dad's dream house.  Dad is gone.  I'm in charge of her affairs now.  Dad didn't do maintenance and did a lot of things on the cheap when building so now the house needs to be re-roofed.  Quote for conventional shingles, $46K.  Quote for a metal roof $90K.  It's a big house.  Shingles have a 20 year warranty.  Mom is 94.  I chose the conventional shingles. This also included putting gutters on the sides of the house that don't have them as the water was splashing up on the lower level windows rotting the panes.  Dad did this on the cheap because it wasn't an area of the house you would really spend any time at while outdoors.

11 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Mom lives here in Wisconsin.  House is 20+ years old.  She and dad built it.  It was Dad's dream house.  Dad is gone.  I'm in charge of her affairs now.  Dad didn't do maintenance and did a lot of things on the cheap when building so now the house needs to be re-roofed.  Quote for conventional shingles, $46K.  Quote for a metal roof $90K.  It's a big house.  Shingles have a 20 year warranty.  Mom is 94.  I chose the conventional shingles. This also included putting gutters on the sides of the house that don't have them as the water was splashing up on the lower level windows rotting the panes.  Dad did this on the cheap because it wasn't an area of the house you would really spend any time at while outdoors.

:blink: FORTY SIX THOUSAND/NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS to re-roof a house?

In east Texas I have seen the standard metal roof, cedar shakes metal roof, and tile metal roof. I saw one other, but the description escapes me. We have a standard metal roof, and I have no complaints.

6 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I would seriously get some more estimates.  The highest we had was $45K for a premium metal roof on a large house. 

15 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

$46,000.  Wow!  Is that the labor union price?  I can send you a van full of Mexicans that will have it done for a lot less and be gone by dark.

Send them over her to paint my house.  Last quote I got was north of $10,000.00. Neighbor paid $17000.00 for his. :( I watched them do it and by my calculations they were making about $400.00 an hour. :wacko:

Archived