SASS Wire Forum

To rebarrel or sell

sassnetguy50

The Hero Of Canton's thread reminded me of a 7mm-08 collecting dust.  It has never seen a round nor likely to see one.  Typically a factory rifle would hit the road and be replaced with another.  That replacement will be expensive given the current market.  

Should it be kept and rebarrel to .243 Win or sell as is and try to find a replacement?

7mm-08 is a great big game rifle. I’ve taken antelope, deer, elk, bison with mine usually one shot kills. I’d leave it alone

It's a great round. Why are you not shooting it? Grafts lists 36 loads for it (all out of stock).

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/190?

Youngest son had a Remington 788 carbine in 7mm/08.  I shot a doe dead, dead, dead with it. It would be a valuable gun now. 

I should have explained more clearly.  I have several rifles from .260-338, including another 7mm-08.  This is a spare that Savage bore sighted and I never shot.  Some of the cartridges I've thought about in a field barrel are .204 Ruger, 222 .243 Win, 6.5 Creed, 350 Legend, .35 Rem.  Take off 243 barrels are available and everything else will be the same.  Typically I would sell the extra rifle and buy a factory built .243 Rem. 

Given the current market, would I be better off rebarreling it instead of selling it?  Keeping the rifle as is, collecting dust is not an option.

For the next few years factory ammunition and reloading components are going to be scarce.  Which caliber will you be able to feed a rifle more reliably?  No point in having a rifle without ammo to shoot in it.

27 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Have you calculated the cost of rebarrelling? Barrels ain't cheap.

JHC

Yes, I figure on selling the unfired 7mm-08 barrel to cut down the cost.  With the market so high.  Selling the 7mm-08 rifle and buying another won't be cheap in the current market.  Not sure which is cheaper and if it is worth giving up the rifle warranty because it is a user modified rifle.

How about seeing if you can find someone to trade with? That can be a way to avoid some of the high prices these days. Same with components.  I just traded 2,000 Federal small pistol primers for 2,000 CCI large rifle primers.

59 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

How about seeing if you can find someone to trade with? That can be a way to avoid some of the high prices these days. Same with components.  I just traded 2,000 Federal small pistol primers for 2,000 CCI large rifle primers.

Good idea, I'll put an ad on armslist and maybe gunlistings tomorrow.

Being a Savage, rebarreling isn't that expensive (all things considered).  Pre-fit barrels from Shilen at Northland Shooters Supply start at $299. Criterion barrels start at $285.

That said, trying to find a new barrel in stock during these times is another story.  Especially common calibers.

The 7-08 has a .473" rim diameter.  For short action cartridges this is the same as the 22 BR, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 358 Win, 6mm BR and 7mm BR (among others).  Replace the bolt head and you can open the choices up even more.

Archived