SASS Wire Forum

Is it possible to convert a Uberti Bisley to a plow handle or birdshead ?

Willy B.SASS#26902

I have a pair of Uberti Bisley's that are nice guns but I just can't get used to how low my hand sits on them, I was hoping I could just swap out the grip frames and grips  and convert them to plow handles or birds heads but it looks like it won't be that simple, Has anyone else done this ? and what was involved.

Thanks 

Willy B'

One of John Wayne's SAA's, which looks perfectly normal, apparently started life as a Bisley model according to its factory letter.  So, it had to have been converted.   So, I don't see why an Uberti could not be so changed.

However, it's not just a simple swapping of the grips.   It's probably a LOT easier to trade it for one in the configuration you want than to change this one.

On the other hand, I CAN tell you that you can swap bird's heads for a plowhandle just by swapping them.   All I had to do was some minor fitting of the stocks.

If they are like the originals, the mainspring and hammer are different so I think it would take some major skills to get things right. I imagine it would take a huge investment to modify them into something that is already offered on the market.

I said the frames are different and I've always thought that but actually I am not positive.  However, as Cholla said, even if the frame is the same the cost for changing would include a hammer assembly as well and not be very cost-effective.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:20 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

On the other hand, I CAN tell you that you can swap bird's heads for a plowhandle just by swapping them. 

Do you have some more gouge on how to go about this?  Is it as simple as getting the new plow-handle parts and swapping them?  Where would one get such parts?  I have a couple of Uberti bird's head grip pistols and have thought about what it would take to change them to plow handle grips.

1 hour ago, ZigMar said:

Do you have some more gouge on how to go about this?  Is it as simple as getting the new plow-handle parts and swapping them?  Where would one get such parts?  I have a couple of Uberti bird's head grip pistols and have thought about what it would take to change them to plow handle grips.

You will need a new Uberti backstrap and wooden grip for each gun.  The triggerguard should be the same for birdshead or plowhandle.  Note that the grip will 99% NOT be a good fit if it is a new part, and fitting will be required.  If you have a new finished grip, then the fitting will probably go through the polyurethane coating on the edges and you may want to strip the whole grip and give it an oil finish.  If you buy a used grip that has already been fit to a gun, there is a better chance that it will fit okay, but still may need some fitting.

Your best bet is to find someone with plow handle guns that wants birdshead, and swap the entire gripframe and grips with them.  Then you will both be happy and no fitting required.

Archived