SASS Wire Forum

Mobile Home

Subdeacon Joe

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
Can you imagine moving and entire house....using horses?
(San Francisco, 1908)

May be an image of railroad

My wife and I own an old house (circa 1890’s) that was moved to a new foundation around 1918 to get it out of a flood plain of the Colorado river.  Photos of the move are in the Museum of Western Colorado archives. The move was accomplished using wagons and horses similar to your image. The current state of the house means it is uninhabitable but the basic structure and the interior of plaster and lathe is still there. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I am sure they could not do that in today's world, in that city.

I am sure there is a city ordinance there, that prohibits horses, because of the pollution of the droppings.

Not to mention peta, and the spca, having a fit over the use of animals.

But....great post....

Horses did move houses, once-upon-a-time. They can do amazing things. 

In the same year they took this photograph, an earthquake moved many more homes. 

I wonder....reckon there is now a city ordinance against earthquakes?  

7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I am sure there is a city ordinance there, that prohibits horses, because of the pollution of the droppings.

Close.  PETA made them pass the ordinance so the horses didn't have to walk through human feces.  Their choices were to bar horses from the city or clean up the human poop. 

In the mid '50's, they moved a Greek Orthodox church here from mid city to the north east section because it was in the way of construction of I-77 through the city. Took almost a week to go that far, but they were using trucks instead of horses by then. Church is still standing and in use today.:blush:

Therte is 2 houses in my neiborhood that were moved in in the 1960's

My Grandfather use to move houses in the early days.Have some pictures somewhere.

Largo

In 1959 the highway US Route 2/90 was extended and took our home. It was a huge double house. My father looked into moving it but because of power lines and traffic lights etc. it was not recommended. My parents then bought the house that I live in currently brand new, no mortgage from the state of Ohio pay off.

4 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

In the mid '50's, they moved a Greek Orthodox church here from mid city to the north east section because it was in the way of construction of I-77 through the city. Took almost a week to go that far, but they were using trucks instead of horses by then. Church is still standing and in use today.:blush:

Forgot about that one. They actually cut it in half and moved the halves separately. I was a young kid but I remember. It was 1958.

21 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I am sure they could not do that in today's world, in that city.

But....great post....

Horses did move houses, once-upon-a-time. They can do amazing things. 

In the same year they took this photograph, an earthquake moved many more homes. 

I wonder....reckon there is now a city ordinance against earthquakes?  

The picture is labeled SF 1908.  The earthquake & fire that destroyed a lot of SF was in 1906.  The fire which did most of the destruction didn't burn all the buildings.

Archived