SASS Wire Forum

Covid 19 Injection Adventure

Yul Lose

Last night in bed as I was reading my wife showed me a notification that she received from Rite Aid about covid 19 vaccines being available at our local, newly built store. My wife made her appointment, through her HMO and it’s not until March 23rd. I went online last night and made my appointment for 2:45 today. 

I got to the store and walked back to the pharmacy and was second in the check in line. In front of me was an older African American lady using a cane to help her stand and walk and I offered to watch her place in line if she wanted to sit down in a chair about 8 feet away. She told me that she didn’t need my help and was doing just fine on her own. Just then an older African American man came up to me and told me to never talk to his wife like that again!!! Never, ever talk like that again to my wife, is what he again said for emphasis. I tried to explain what I told her and he told me if I said anything more to her that he would open some Marine Corps whup ass on me, he had a MC Vietnam veteran baseball cap on. I backed off and another lady customer in line tried to explain what I had said and he told her to be quiet.

Well, she got called up to the pharmacy window and he went over and sat down in the chair that I offered his wife. A young homeless man who I’ve seen around town lately walked past me into the restroom. As I waited a few men tried to get into the restroom but the door was locked. I finally got checked in and went and sat down in the previously mentioned chair because Mr. Personality had left. I got called in for my injection and told the pharmacist about the young man being in the restroom for so long and he told me that he’d notify the manager and that I needed to wait 15 minutes before I left. So I went back to the Chair and began my wait. About 5 minutes in the lady manager came back and banged on the men’s room door and then unlocked it and went in. She came running out to the pharmacy, opened the door and yelled to the pharmacist and his assistant and grabbed the phone and dialed 911. The pharmacist and assistant ran into the men’s room and I heard some of what the manager was telling 911 and one thing I heard clearly was un responsive. I had a strong feeling that that area was going to get crowded in a hurry so after only 6-7 minutes I took off. As I pulled onto the main road I saw the first emergency vehicle responding.

On March 26, I get to do it again.

• Yul Lose changed the title to Covid 19 Injection Adventure
2 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

WOW! 

Yul - are you still looking at getting out of ca (NCca)?

Yeah, but a divorce at my age is going to be costly. Mrs Lose ain’t leaving, to much family.

Wow! People can be so rude. Good for you for holding in your temper, it would have been easy to lose it with that guy. 

I have been noticing a whole new level of belligerence and hatred from people lately. At the same time I am seeing people acting a little more upbeat. The belligerence, we can do without. 

Who knows, Yul. That guy could be one of those crazy guys that think everyone is out to get his woman. Or maybe he’s just an arse. Either way you did the right thing. 

I hope your next trip there is completely uneventful. 

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been noticing a whole new level of belligerence and hatred from people lately. At the same time I am seeing people acting a little more upbeat. The belligerence, we can do without. 

Who knows, Yul. That guy could be one of those crazy guys that think everyone is out to get his woman. Or maybe he’s just an arse. Either way you did the right thing. 

I hope your next trip there is completely uneventful. 

Thanks, PR.  They already sent me my new appointment date and time, exactly 30 days away. You’re right about the belligerence and hatred. When I told my wife about what happened she said it may have been because I was wearing a mask and they didn’t understand what I said, who knows. The lady behind me didn’t have a problem hearing me and she was further away and behind me.

Yep, held a door for a Lady recently and got told in no uncertain terms the error of my politeness. "I'm perfectly capable of opening a door" " I don't need some old man to do it for me". Was difficult to not say "FU very much ___ch".  They're everywhere!

Johnson and Johnson has yet another vaccine out. It requires only one shot and is supposedly covers the new strain. This is a never ending herding cats scenario. Each time a new strain shows up, and it will, they'll be out with yet another vaccine.  A 98.7% survival rate. Slightly lower than the yearly flu.

And what you guys say is rude is your assumption that the couple was being rude. They have their reasons for not wanting to deal with whomever. As I'm getting older and in need of a cane it adds to my discomfort when someone holds a door for me. Yet another notch in the 'he can't fend for himself' old man reality.

Clearly your “privilege” showing through, somehow you expect not to have homeless people shooting up next to you and you do not realize being polite is racist/sexist/homophobic now.  Expecting and wanting a safe, kind community where people follow laws, are helpful to others, etc is a sign that you need “woke” training as soon as possible.

My Mother and Father had an incident about 40 years ago.

"Lady" barged in front of my Mother and Dad in a line-up waiting their turn at the cash.

"Lady" pushes her way in front of them with the words, " I'm in a hurry!"

My Father, a usually patient and courteous man, in his 70's says "Yes, but so are we" to which "Lady" tells him to "F.O. Old Man!"

Now, my Mother was about 5'2", 1/8 Algonquin and 7/8 Fightin' Irish.

Mother reached up and back-handed the "Lady" and knocked her on the butt.

54 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My Mother and Father had an incident about 40 years ago.

"Lady" barged in front of my Mother and Dad in a line-up waiting their turn at the cash.

"Lady" pushes her way in front of them with the words, " I'm in a hurry!"

My Father, a usually patient and courteous man, in his 70's says "Yes, but so are we" to which "Lady" tells him to "F.O. Old Man!"

Now, my Mother was about 5'2", 1/8 Algonquin and 7/8 Fightin' Irish.

Mother reached up and back-handed the "Lady" and knocked her on the butt.

Your mother was lucky! Today, you never know when someone could respond to that by 1) accusing her of assault; or b) pulling a knife or gun and doing much worse!  Same thing with road rage!  Sadly, there is almost no such thing as courtesy nowadays!  You were safer in Dodge City or Tombstone on a Saturday night than in most cities in this country! :(  Whole world's gone nucking futs! 

Stay well and safe, Pards!  Wife gets "95% immunity Tuesday.  I get 95.2-1/2 on Thursday!  Still gonna wear masks in public. 

Well, it was in a small Canadian town beside Ottawa and Mother's family was well known in the area.

(Part of the Red Scarif Clan from Ireland.)

23 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah, but a divorce at my age is going to be costly. Mrs Lose ain’t leaving, to much family.

Have the same problem...Stuck till tagged and bagged....But I am allowed to leave once in  while...For short stays....But have to come back...

Texas Lizard

Well, this reminds me of a story.

Upon arriving home yesterday evening, I was met at the door by my wife, sobbing her eyes out. Tearfully she explained, "It's the druggist. He insulted me terribly this morning on the phone."  Immediately, being the caring husband I am, I got into my pickem-up truck and drove downtown to confront the druggist and demand an apology (or I was gonna open up a whole can of whoop-ass on him).

Before I could say more than a few words, the druggist told me, "Now, just a minute, please listen to my side of it... This morning the alarm failed to go off, so I was late getting up.  I went without breakfast and hurried out to the car, just to realize that I locked the house with both house and car keys inside.  I had to break a window to get my keys.  Then, driving a little too fast, I got a speeding ticket. Later, about three blocks from the store, I had a flat tire. When I got to the store there was a bunch of people waiting for me to open up. I opened and started waiting on these people, and all the time the darn phone was ringing off the hook."

He continued, "Then I had to break a roll of nickels against the cash register drawer to make change, and they spilled all over the floor.  I got down on my hands and knees to pick up the nickels; the phone was still ringing.  When I came up I cracked my head on the open cash drawer, which made me stagger back against a showcase with bunch of perfume bottles on it...all of them hit the floor and broke.  Meanwhile, the phone is still ringing with no let up, and I finally got to answer it.  It was your wife.  She wanted to know how to use a rectal thermometer...and, honest mister, all I did was tell her!"

21 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yep, held a door for a Lady recently and got told in no uncertain terms the error of my politeness. "I'm perfectly capable of opening a door" " I don't need some old man to do it for me". Was difficult to not say "FU very much ___ch".  They're everywhere!

Yep.
I saw that MANY years ago in San Francisco at #1 Market street.
A guy held the door open for the woman in sneakers carrying her heels in a bag.

She obviously had a Masters degree in Sailor and Truck Driver.. with the amount of invective she unleashed on that poor guy.

There was a cranky person where I last worked. She used a walker and would harangue anyone who held the door for her. One day, I opened the door into her. I should have looked through the glass. Of course, she let me have it and said I did it on purpose.

The three of us, who were on our way to get coffee, met our boss's boss in the cafeteria. I told her what happened. Shortly after that, we heard the crank was retiring. We joked about having a party after she was gone.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

When I was in my 20's a woman once held the door for me.  I stopped dead in my tracks and just kinda looked on confused.  Until she said "come on.  It's OK.  I won't tell your dad."  As I walked by I said something like "Thanks he'd probably whoop my butt if he found out."  She was kinda cute too and I was scared of girls back then.  I think that was a big part of the reason I froze. 

The idea of it being sexist to hold a door is ridiculous though.  It's not as if people don't hold doors for each other all the time regardless of gender or age or race. 

Sorry that happened Yul.  I try to be helpful and polite.  In most cases, it is appreciated, but I've also had people react like they did to you.

Lately, people have seemed to being getting crazier.  I recently participated in a local police civilian academy and the instructing officers confirmed my suspicions with statistics and anecdotal observations.  They speculated that it might be Covid regulations or lock-down stress.

Whatever; I'm still going to try to be a good person, but I've also started carrying a second pistol.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Had a similar thing happen to me.  I said, "Sorry, I mistook you for a lady." That's when a **ll broke lose!

Archived