SASS Wire Forum

Who is John Barleycorn?

John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

Where to begin? I was born in Pittsburgh, my Dad was Korean War veteran and Westinghouse technician, Mom was a nurse. I've worked since I was 11 years old delivering the Pittsburgh Press. In my teens I worked at McDonalds and, put roof's on with my dad. We went to church every Sunday. We were not rich, but we were not poor. I was lucky to get C's in high school, I stared out the window waiting for the bell to ring. Looking back I wish I had paid more attention. In my senior year I joined the Army Reserve as an E-1. I went to basic training 6 days after I graduated high school, I turned 18 at Ft McClellan. Some how I made it through college, I even managed a commission In the United States Army Reserve. I met my first wife at Officers Basic Course in 1991. I attended the Police Academy in 1992 and have been a full time police officer since 1993. She gave me 2 wonderful sons. I worked for the City Of Johnstown for 5 years before I got hired in my hometown, where I have been since 1998. I've seen, and done it all. Car chases, caught a serial bank robber, yes, even shot a man in 2016, he missed, I didn't. That was my worst day, my best day was helping save a 4 year old drowning victim.  

My first marriage ended in 2004. I discovered Cowboy Action shooting in 2005 and it was the best thing ever! You can completely forget about life for a while. I sold every dust collector in my gun locker and bought CAS guns. Then I met Beth, you may know her as Bdoc. We married in 2014 and our son John was born in 2016. Beth had never shot a gun before, now she whoops me every now and then. We started just shooting the three local clubs, and then began to travel to major shoots up and down the east coast. I was hauling bullets to these shoots and if I made enough to pay for the shoot and our ammunition I was a happy guy. Another officer at work with a FFL convinced me to get my own FFL and Barleycorn Outfitters was born. I work very hard at making my business successful. I pay SASS to advertise on the SASS Merchants Corner. In fact I was the first member of the Merchant Corner. I pay fair prices, and I undoubtedly look for bargains in the SASS classifieds. Why, because it the largest cowboy action gun shop in the world. I sponsored shoots and have sponsored some shooters along the way. I've been honored to be recognized as Jedi Gunfighter and SASS Regulator. This year I'm sponsoring a 15 year old Lefty Gunslinger and will be providing everything from guns, to ammo, to shoot fees. I can honestly say the money I make at Barleycorn Outfitters pays for my Cowboy Action addiction. My law enforcement career pays the bills. 

Lately I seem to be living rent free in some forum members heads. Ive beaten them out on some great deals and they can't deal with it. I make no apologies. I use the same technology available to every one else. I don't use any bots, I don't even know exactly what they even are. Every day I get at least one email or call from someone looking for cowboy action guns. I'm honored by this, as your reputation is everything and its nice to hear the caller say I heard you are the guy that can find guns. 

2 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I sold every dust collector in my gun locker and bought CAS guns.

Same. I sold a beautiful walnut stocked Springfield M1A, which I do miss, but I had shot less then 100 rounds through it in ten years. I sold other guns that I never shot. I have an M1 Garand coming to replace the M1A because with my new writing gig I have a little more folding money in my pockets.

John, you have done nothing wrong. Thanks for helping new shooters.

PS. retired LEO too 26+ years, be safe

I’ve bought a few guns from JB over the years and every single one of them was as good as or better than advertised. You don’t owe anyone an apology or explanation.

Thank you John Barleycorn for selling me a rifle almost a decade ago that was going to be my backup! That used 66 carbine with a stock full of chrome tacks has served me well! I don’t remember what I paid for it back then, but it’s done it’s part in my limited success at playing this game. Those that are expounding negatively should check on that “ cowboy way” mantra that they seem to be forgetting IMO:)

John, my son still uses that pair of Vaqueros I got from you back in 2012. We've traded a few times since and I've  been happy with every deal.  Keep your head up and keep doing what you're doing; no apologies needed here.  Hope I finally get to meet you at EOT and shake your hand.

JB and BDoc are an asset to SASS. I've had the opportunity to shoot with them many times. You won't meet nicer people. JB sponsored my 12 yr old neighbor's SASS membership several years ago. I know he has sponsored other junior shooters as well. Glad to say he's a friend.

JB,

I agree with the comments concerning you and BDoc being an asset to SASS, and even more so... to those Jr shooters you have 

sponsored.

Keep up the good work, good deeds..... and good honest business dealings.    Ya dun good, fellow JEDI GF'er.

..........Widder

I sold a pair of pistols to JB.  I made a little profit and I hope he did also when he sold them.  Our deaI was mutually benificial and completed with no hassles. 

I was a dealer for a number of years, before my cowboy life.  I made a little money that helped support my shooting interests.  Keeping meticulous records, filing local, state, and federal tax forms, and business licenses are a pain in the butt.  I certainly don't resent someone making a buck or two being a dealer.  

I support anyone who is a vendor in our sport and deals with people fairly.  I certainly have no complaints about John.   

Well said JB, you owe no one an apology, if I need any CAS equipment You will be my first call. SCJ

I’ve bought from and sold to John and will not hesitate to do so again.

I consider John and Bdoc Cowboy pards and it really rankles me to see that he felt he needed to make this post.

Since when is working hard to be successful a bad thing?  I’m sick of all of the whining and blaming of others that is so common place now.

Dutch

9 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

And I feel that it is damn shame you have to come on here and defend yourself when you have done nothing wrong.

Exactly!  He’s a stand up cowboy. I’ve purchased from JB and find him a pleasure to deal with. Also shot with him and Bdoc on the same posse and they do their part to make the posse run well. 

Who is the “no good, yellow, yankee liar” that said anything about John Barleycorn?  Never dealt with him but have seen him on the Wire many times. Reputable man, undeserving of any disparaging word!

I've bought and sold a few guns to JB and I shoot with them at Tusco, nicer people you'll never find! They're a great asset to SASS. ;)

Had my FCGF butt kicked by some fine cowboys, but none finer than John Barleycorn.  He and BDoc are some of the finest folks you will ever have the pleasure to meet, inside of Cowboy Action Shooting or out.  I certainly look forward to seeing them again in the near future, hopefully at PA State, as all of this craziness lets up.

JB, thank you for the resume; Interesting, straight forward and honest. The testimonials here should make you proud. We all earn our reputation, and yours is one to be emulated. Though we haven't met, based on the feedback here, it's my loss. I've been in CAS 29 years, and it's folks like you that keep me in it. Thank you for posting. I wish you continued success and good health.

Sincerely,

Mild Bill

I must admit that title caught me off guard. When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be an explanation of the name Barleycorn in connection with alcohol ,,,,,, drinking type alcohol. Must have had a flashback !! :D Didn't catch it until I was 1/3 the way down. Slow saturday !

Isom

22 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

... I don't use any bots, I don't even know exactly what they even are. ...

John don't need no stinkin'  bots.  But I have a theory as to how he does it.  He has one of those "Drinking Bird" toys.  Instead of a cup of water for it to dip its beak into, he has a thimble of water sitting on the F5 key on his keyboard.  Every time it dips its beak into the thimble it hits it hard enough to refresh his browser.  :)  Am I close, John?

Maybe I should have kept quiet.  Now everyone is going to be hoarding the Drinking Birds.

John is a great pard to shoot with and to do bidness with. I've done several transactions and he's the best! Fear not John, carry on and keep us shooting.

John is a great cowboy.  We have made some deals that we were both happy with.  Having him and his family as ambassadors of this sport is truly a blessing.   

• 2 weeks later...

JB I’m looking forward to meeting you at EOT in June.

Archived