SASS Wire Forum

Kit Planes

Subdeacon Joe

I would love to make to Oshkosh for AirVenture one day. It doesn't seem that long ago in 2019, I sat watching on Flight Tracker as planes were arriving, clicking on them to see what they were. 

I helped a friend build a BD-5J a long while back.  He did the work and I cleaned up, fetched pizza and beer,  and did other essential work.

I wanted to go for a ride when it was done, but there just isn't room in a single engine jet airplane.

His wife sold it after he died and I have no clue where it went.

My son has been building a Vans RV-7 for just over a year.  He's got another 18 to 24 more months to go.  It's a two seater fully aerobatic sport plane that will cruise at just over 180 MPH.   I've helped him some but had no idea of the meticulous amount of work involved.  Hope I last long enough to fly in it.

image.thumb.png.b182494032652e35a993a688531d3a5d.png

Many years ago, my best friend and I built a Ken Rand designed plane called a KR2. It was a two seat side by side. It even had retractable gear! It took about three years to complete. We went to Oshkosh one year with it. After a while, life and kids were more important. It was more fun to build than to fly. lol 

Laramie

My dad was a Vietnam Vet came back became a chaplain and went back that way. He served 29 years. I grew up around airplanes. Dad owned several. My fondest memory was the Fly Baby kit plane that I watched him build growing up. Garage full of c rats and airplane out back he always had a studabacker in rebuild mode. Later it was  65-67 mustangs. Spoke seven languages. My dad was the smartest man I’ve ever known. What an example.  Here’s a pic for you guys hope it came thru

I searched the tail number years ago and found the planes buyer. Unfortunately the trail ended   Probably sitting in some farmers field

I "helped" a couple of friends re-build and re-fabric their Cubs, which was an experience.

My own experience was always in commercially built aircraft, starting with a Cessna 120 in the way back time.

I always loved the Cessna 120 what a graceful little airplane!

I worked with an electrician 'bout 25 years back who had been building a BD-5 (prop driven) on and off for several years. He finally finished it, did some taxi tests at the airport, and eventually took it up. After getting a feel for it, he landed, but something went wrong and he clipped the runway lights along the edge, and that was the end of his BD-5. He got out OK, but the little plane caught fire and burned.

My kit plane was a lot simpler and quicker - an Eipper Quicksilver II 2 place ultralight. B)

UL1.jpg

UL2.jpg

Archived