SASS Wire Forum

Let's talk single action revolvers....

Grizzly Dave

On 2/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Personally, I would not have AWA anywhere in the picture.   Don't forget Standard, still available and quite pricey.

I bought a pair of AWAs about twenty years ago and only had one minor problem, an out of true cylinder pin, which was corrected by a local smith in about fifteen minutes.

I have a 1950 Colt .45, 5 1/2" barrel that I got as a high school graduation present. Over the years it has been re-blued twice, has worn a half dozen grips and ridden in five or six holsters.

The only problem I ever had with it was a broken spring....but I don't recall which spring. 

I've also  owned a bunch of others from Ruger to  Swiss masterpiece (that I sold because it was to nice to shoot and I don't like .357, to a bunch of forgettable guns.  

The Original Colt has been retired and the AWAs are as good as any I have ever owned.  They are still working guns, but not as often any more.

Ruger Old Army's are terrible guns - worst ever made.

Frontiersmen is a horrible category - that everyone should stay away from.

Dirty, smelly, un-reliable......... turning good money into smoke and stink !

It's all subjective, right !?!?

Have a Colt tuned by Bob James.  Now that's the gold standand.  Got to admit I love my Shotgun Boogie Rugers  just as well.  

I would like a 2 pair of real mother of pearl (Cost is something else) for my bad nickeled 5 1/2" .44 WCF 3rd gens that I shoot the most.  

I prefer the USFA's  I shot old model ruger vaqueros for less than 1 year,  then Evil Roy gun by Cimmaron for roughly 2 years.  Switched to the USFA's in 2005

The balance and feel of the USFA works for me.  I usually get 5-8 years out of a set before I have to rebuild them.

I think I can buy Colt's cheaper than a set of USFA's 

3GC

In that Colt SAAs are the original... they can be said to be the standard.  Doesn't mean that standard is "best" or even close to best!  I've never owned any but 2nd & 3rd gen Colts.  Having my first tuned by Bob Munden was eye-opening.  Then, much later having it rebuilt by Bill Oglesby was something on a different level of goodness!  I've had occasion to fondle other makes and models of the copies of the original... (which is the category the 2nd & 3rd Gen Colts fall into);  and nothing comes close.  IMO.  I've fondled other makes and models tuned by other fine gunsmiths, and while many are fantastic, none compare to that Bill Oglesby rebuilt & tuned 3rd Gen Colt.  In fact its mate, also a 3rd Gen was also tuned by Bill... sometime before he rebuilt the one I truly feel the most at ease with.  It just doesn't have the same feel and sound to it.  

I am sure that others may feel this particular way about a favored tool... be it hammer, or plier, power or manual... it will always be subjective, and won't have the same effect on anyone else.  I have an old set of S-K sockets purchased from the Navy Exchange in Long Beach, CA about 1970... the ratchet head is the swivel kind, I use this ratchet more than any purchased since, of more famous makes and probably of far superior quality (ones like Proto, Snap-On, Mac, Craftsmen); but this one, just feels comfortable in the hand.  My son can't stand it... sez the head flops around and demands to use a fixed head ratchet... he don't care which, any one but that old S-K.  I chuckle and say, good, when it finally breaks, I'll be ok with it, I got to use it a LONG time!  If you know that feeling, then I'd count you among the blessed.  Whether it be YOUR Colt, Ruger, Uberti, Pietta or whatever... 

On 2/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

First, I don my surplus Navy Damage Control Fire Suit . . . . And put fourth A CAVEAT:  I am by no means a Coltist.  Ok, another CAVEAT:  Strictly from the eyes of a humble Gunplumber.  Or not so Humble.

I don't consider the Colt to be the "Gold Standard."  Hugely popular . . Yes.  Over Priced . . Yes.  Colt however, require the exact same action work to make them user friendly as most other reproductions.  Next up would be USFA.  Unfortunately, no longer produced.  Much better guns than recent Colt guns.  With USFA, change the Main Spring and convert to Spring and Plunger for the hand and you're done.   The only AWA even remotely in consideration would be the AWA Ultimate from AWA USA, not to be confused with the first AWA.  Those guns were built my Armi San Marco.

Best Value for Dollar, todays market,  is hands down the Pietta built Great Western 2.  Ringer for a Second Generation Colt Improved.  Seconding Nate Kiowa Jones here.  Pietta eliminated the weak link with a Coil Spring and Plunger Hand.  Change the Main Spring and yer done.  Well, I also suggest you remove the last 3/16 of the Cylinder Base Pin to eliminate that pesky "Drop Test Safety."  When Boyd Davis of EMF asked for samples for the new Great Western 2, the Pietta was the only gun to meet his requirements.  Uberti tried and failed miserably.

Next CAVEAT:  I haven't seen enough of the Standard offering to comment.  However, in the "Value for Dollar" department it falls very short.  Very over priced.  A shooter can get two or even three Great Western 2 for the price of a Colt or a Standard.  While the Great Western 2 may not have the reputation nor the mystique of Colt, it is a much better value for dollar.

Almost Forgot . . . PLUS ONE for Prairie Dawg 

Anyone know where I might find one or two of these Pietta built Great Western IIs?  I must be losing my touch with searching for guns.  Or is Covid fouling this up too?

31 minutes ago, Griff said:

I have an old set of S-K sockets purchased from the Navy Exchange in Long Beach, CA about 1970... the ratchet head is the swivel kind, I use this ratchet more than any purchased since, of more famous makes and probably of far superior quality (ones like Proto, Snap-On, Mac, Craftsmen); but this one, just feels comfortable in the hand.

HA !I finally beat ya on something Griff ! I have an SK set I bought in 1962 when I was a gas pump jockey

. :D

1 hour ago, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

Anyone know where I might find one or two of these Pietta built Great Western IIs?  I must be losing my touch with searching for guns.  Or is Covid fouling this up too?

Check with EMF for GW-II's.  Cimarron's Frontier line are the same guns with different markings.

Concerning whether Colt's are the Gold Standard. Just think about this, everyone in the world knows what a Colt is, how many none shooters know what USFA, Standard, Uberti, Pietta, STI, ASM, Ruger or anything else is that someone can come with for a Single Action “Cowboy” gun.

I have a Munden tuned early 3rd gen SAA, 2 early 3rd gen tuned by Lee in Arizona, these 3 revolvers are as smooth as glass, no take up, 1 3/4# triggers. The only thing I have broken was the ejector rod head broke on one while I shooting it. Have 3 more 3rd gen Single action Colt's, 2 are late 3rd's with removable cylinder bushing. The 1st 3 .45's have been shot multiple 1000's of rounds of .45 Colt. 2 of the others are .357 and haven't been shot that much. The last one is Frontier Six Shooter .44/40 with etched 7 1/2”barrel unfired. The Revolvers I have competed with for the last 16-17 years are Ruger .357 Vaquero's that I converted to 4 click without a transfer bar.

24 minutes ago, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

Concerning whether Colt's are the Gold Standard. Just think about this, everyone in the world knows what a Colt is. 

I understand your point, but using this argument...

McDonalds (or worse, Subway) is the gold standard for food. 

Fiat is the gold standard for cars. 

Hillary Clinton is the gold standard for female attributes.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians is the gold standard for broadcast television.

The number of folks who are aware of something does not equate to the item being superior quality, design or "best".

Take this post in the spirit intended, with a grin on my face...

Because, after all, we all know Rosie O'Donnell is the gold standard of female attributes.

Please note:  I didn't say "gold" in my definition of why Colt is the Standard.    Just as McDonald's might be the first fast burger joint... setting the standard for that type of eatery, they certainly ain't the "Gold" standard... at least IMO!  Actually, setting the bar pretty low...

Wow... this could be such a far ranging subject.  The "best" single action revolver?   I have, and have had, all sorts of Single Action Revolvers.... about everything except S&W Model 3s.   My favorites are a pair of engraved, nickel-plated, 2nd gen Colts, with action work by Marshal Harland Wolff.   But, when it comes to our game, I keep bringing out the Rugers!                                                                                                                                           

If I was advising someone who wanted a Colt-type revolver, without paying high dollar, like a Colt, Standard Manufacturing, or USFA?   Pietta, from the EMF "Great Western II" line.

I just bought a Standard yesterday at the gun show. I am impressed! 

Beautiful gun. The screw slots are all timed! The blueing job and case colors are not accurately described by any pic i have seen. In person, it is fantastic.

There is zero cylinder movement when cocked,,zero.

My faith in colt faltered after buying this gun. I am looking for another to make a pair.

Archived