SASS Wire Forum

Shipping a Ruger old army

Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945

I am curious can you ship a Ruger old army through the mail to a non-FFL??  It is a percussion pistol so not technically a cartridge firearm.  A friend of mine bought one from an estate and is looking to sell it but the shipping and FFL requirements seem to vary from state to state.

In Illinois black powder guns are the same as modern guns.  If he is selling to someone from Illinois it would need to go through an FFL.  As far as  mailing the gun it is legal if shipped to an FFL in a regulated state or directly to a person in a non-regulated state. You need to find out the laws in the community/state you would be shipping the gun to.

Federal law states you can ship a muzzle loader via USPS to a non-FFL. You have to ship in an unmarked package priority mail with adult signature required.

State and local laws may prevent this. You have to look them up.

DO NOT ship a cartridge conversion cylinder in the same package as a muzzle loading pistol.

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Federal law states you can ship a muzzle loader via USPS to a non-FFL. You have to ship in an unmarked package priority mail with adult signature required.

State and local laws may prevent this. You have to look them up.

DO NOT ship a cartridge conversion cylinder in the same package as a muzzle loading pistol.

Local laws can override that.

Many locations require the FFL thing.

OLG 

I had a significant nightmare with this the fall of 2019.  Bottom line, USPS doesn’t know how to read their shipping codes,  nor do they care to understand them.  I had to get a US Senator involved to get my ROAs out of the Marietta GA post office.  Miss Luvenia could not understand my inability to accept her ineptness as the firearms inspector for that post office. The BATF specifically states the post office cannot prevent you from shipping. Here’s the rub.  BATF will not fight your battle for you.  They have all of those silencer requests to process.  The post office is not afraid of the BATF because they know they could give a rat’s ass.  They, the USPS, cannot read words in a paragraph and acknowledge the punctuation in that paragraph to make sentences or a common thought.  They instead pick a few words to suit their needs and tell you they can’t do it.  I even had this discussion with the shipping chief in Omaha, NE for her position.  Fruitless, like her brain.  Classic government worker.  They have the power, you should just accept their power.  They don’t need customer service, they have Congress to give them billions, with a B, to help them through these tough times of internet shopping and the relentless torrent of junk mail to deliver.  Unless you have an FFL, stay away from the post office.  Additionally, I’m not a holder of an FFL and it is my understanding that the licensee cannot log a non-firearm for shipping.  I know my LGS FFL didn’t log them when the USPS sent to him to get them back.  I wish it were easier.

Archived