SASS Wire Forum

Farewell to Founders Ranch

Misty Moonshine

Farewell to Founders Ranch

Founders Ranch, Edgewood, New Mexico will cease operation and close its gates April 1, 2021. After a devastating year of closures and continuing crippling COVID restrictions, the facility known as Founders Ranch will become one of the State of New Mexico business community’s latest casualties.

In operation since 2004, Founders Ranch has become a cornerstone of the East Mountain community — having proudly offered a safe shooting facility and gun range complete with shotgun sports club, facility rentals, and numerous charity and fundraising activities. Leased and operated by The Single Action Shooting Society, the facility has proudly been home to END of TRAIL, the World Championship of Cowboy  Action Shooting™ and Wild West Jubilee, welcoming thousands of participants from around the world and having a tremendously positive economic impact on the region for nearly two decades. After cancelling the June event in 2020, the continuing restrictions into 2021 forced a relocation of the event to a state more hospitable.

It is with great sadness that the owners of the property, along with the leadership of SASS, faced the unavoidable reality that after a year of devastating loss of revenue due to COVID closures and restrictions, the facility is left with no choice but to close the gates.

Founders Ranch members will have the entire month of March to “use up” any pre-purchased “birds” at the Founders Ranch Shotgun Sports Club. If requested, membership refunds will be issued, on a pro-rated basis beginning April 1, 2021.

A farewell celebration will be held on Founders Ranch at 2PM in the afternoon Sunday, March 28th, 2021 — our way of thanking you, our members, for your years of patronage and support. It has been our honor to serve the East Mountain Community.

The file of this announcement can be downloaded for distribution as a press release. 

Misty D. Miller

aka Misty Moonshine

Chief Executive Officer

misty@sassnet.com 

FR Farewell.pdf

I'm glad I had a great EoT shoot there in 2011, and actually visited EoT before that. I was really looking forward to going there this June. Very sad to see FR closing.

Thank you SASS for the great work you all put into FR and EoT there. You helped create some wonderful experiences and memories.

Changes.  Saddened by the closing too.  Due to long distance, work, costs, etc. I am one of many who never got the right opportunity to ever visit FR, but hoped to go when retired.  Now retired and moved closer to aging parent (dad will be 93 this year), but FR is closing, my chance has changed changed again.  Seems changes is the one thing that is constant.  We can look back at memories shared and anticipate ones to make in the future.  Now we must look again and for more ways to promote good healthy shooting - SASS.

I enjoyed shooting there, it was a nice place to dry camp, and I will always appreciate the new pards I met there. 

50 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Glade I got to eot the last 3 years before covid shut everything down! Loved the atmosphere at founder's ranch.  Anyone know where the sass office will be at?

The SASS office is up and opperational in it's new location in Homestead Plaza in Moriarty, NM.

1 hour ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Glade I got to eot the last 3 years before covid shut everything down! Loved the atmosphere at founder's ranch.  Anyone know where the sass office will be at?

Hi Rafe, 

This is a common misconception - the SASS Office has never been located at Founders Ranch. 

Our offices were in Edgewood until October 2020, when we moved to our new location in Moriarty. 

Misty

Sad to see this happen.  I know that there was a lot of work put into the facility over a lot of years, that will sadly be lost to the ravages of time or other development.  I still remember the excitement I felt when I first read about it in the paper Chronicle and about the herd of Buffalo on the ranch.  But, as with many things in life, sometimes dreams don't turn out the way we would like them too. 

I am glad that Lil and I had the opportunity to travel there and attend EOT on 2016.  I was a really cool place to visit, and we enjoyed a few days of sightseeing around Albuquerque during our down time.  The altitude didn't give us too much trouble but, being from the wet, coastal area, the arid conditions certainly took a toll on our party.  We enjoyed seeing the "Old Town", the Stage Coach, the shops, and meeting folks from all over the world at the match.  At least that last part will continue at the new venue.

I wish SASS and the "Owners" of the ranch all the best in years to come.

Dogmeat Dad

12 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Sad to see this happen.  I know that there was a lot of work put into the facility over a lot of years, that will sadly be lost to the ravages of time or other development.  I still remember the excitement I felt when I first read about it in the paper Chronicle and about the herd of Buffalo on the ranch.  But, as with many things in life, sometimes dreams don't turn out the way we would like them too. 

I am glad that Lil and I had the opportunity to travel there and attend EOT on 2016.  I was a really cool place to visit, and we enjoyed a few days of sightseeing around Albuquerque during our down time.  The altitude didn't give us too much trouble but, being from the wet, coastal area, the arid conditions certainly took a toll on our party.  We enjoyed seeing the "Old Town", the Stage Coach, the shops, and meeting folks from all over the world at the match.  At least that last part will continue at the new venue.

I wish SASS and the "Owners" of the ranch all the best in years to come.

Dogmeat Dad

Speaking of when Buffalo were on the ranch...

Brodie Lane #71616 and I were cleaning up the camper one Buffalo Stampede, and getting ready to head down to town...when I stopped her from leaving the camper door.

Seems several of those big boys had managed to leave their compound, and venture in to ours!!!

I felt it was best NOT to cause a real Buffalo Stampede, and stay put untill Bighorn and Wildshot could round them up!

I think the photos were lost in an old phone...but the memory will still be there!

That, and meeting TC's famous HARVEY! Now that was a big boy!!!

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Speaking of when Buffalo were on the ranch...

Brodie Lane #71616 and I were cleaning up the camper one Buffalo Stampede, and getting ready to head down to town...when I stopped her from leaving the camper door.

Seems several of those big boys had managed to leave their compound, and venture in to ours!!!

I felt it was best NOT to cause a real Buffalo Stampede, and stay put untill Bighorn and Wildshot could round them up!

I think the photos were lost in an old phone...but the memory will still be there!

That, and meeting TC's famous HARVEY! Now that was a big boy!!!

Have you heard if there are any plans for the Chapel, or will it just be abandoned?  SASS may not have made any plans at this point, but I was thinking about it as it is a "separate entity" as it were.  No doubt they still have a lot on their plate at the moment, and once EOT 2021 is in the books, there will likely be more time to address these other issues, just curious if you had heard anything.

As to Stampedes, I have rounded up a few stray dairy cattle in my day from my neighbors and friends farms, but No Way would I even come close to one those Buffalo on the loose!  That would, no doubt, have a bad, bad, ending! (For Me!  :o)

10 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Have you heard if there are any plans for the Chapel, or will it just be abandoned?  SASS may not have made any plans at this point, but I was thinking about it as it is a "separate entity" as it were.  No doubt they still have a lot on their plate at the moment, and once EOT 2021 is in the books, there will likely be more time to address these other issues, just curious if you had heard anything.

As to Stampedes, I have rounded up a few stray dairy cattle in my day from my neighbors and friends farms, but No Way would I even come close to one those Buffalo on the loose!  That would, no doubt, have a bad, bad, ending! (For Me!  :o)

I have not heard on plans (if possible) of any action on the chappel.

White Lightning Jack and I shot at The Ranch in '05, '07, '14, '16, '18 despite length of travel(18 hours flying and 3 flights each way) and cost. We missed '20 because of China virus.

But well and truly a great experience for us both.

We met some really amazing cowboys and girls there, many whom have become really good friends.

We shot in the snow and mud('05),  and we shot in the blistering sun and dust.

We shot ok, with moments of brilliance.

We spent  $$$$ on engraving, gun parts, cowboy clothes and leather gear.

And we had the occasional party.........or two.........or three.

We enjoyed our time in the presence of the wonderful bar staff.

We will miss EOT at Founders Ranch.

But life goes on, and we hope to carry on when this crazy world settles down.

Stay safe everyone.

1 hour ago, TUSCON THE TERRIBLE SASS#47089 said:

White Lightning Jack and I shot at The Ranch in '05, '07, '14, '16, '18 despite length of travel(18 hours flying and 3 flights each way) and cost. We missed '20 because of China virus.

But well and truly a great experience for us both.

We met some really amazing cowboys and girls there, many whom have become really good friends.

We shot in the snow and mud('05),  and we shot in the blistering sun and dust.

We shot ok, with moments of brilliance.

We spent  $$$$ on engraving, gun parts, cowboy clothes and leather gear.

And we had the occasional party.........or two.........or three.

We enjoyed our time in the presence of the wonderful bar staff.

We will miss EOT at Founders Ranch.

But life goes on, and we hope to carry on when this crazy world settles down.

Stay safe everyone.

Love you and the 'gang'!!!

Lift a mug of Rum for me!!

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Just wondering where the Buffalo Range Riders and any other clubs that shot their monthly matches at FR will now shoot?

Maybe in ABQ at the shooting range park?

Choctaw

There is that. Also Membres, Roswell, Capitan, Las Cruces, Los Alamos....

Several in the area from 1 to 4 hours away.

Will miss FR...

29 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

There is that. Also Membres, Roswell, Capitan, Las Cruces, Los Alamos....

Several in the area from 1 to 4 hours away.

Will miss FR...

Oh...and Farmington's club...geeze Largo Casey...don't want to leave you out!

25 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh...and Farmington's club...geeze Largo Casey...don't want to leave you out!

Yea, the Tres Rios Bandidos are still alive and kicking in Farmington!  Should be back to 2nd and 4th Sunday's in March!  If NM governor don't interfere with San Juan county

Sad to hear, visited when there was no shoot going on (in for a wedding).

With you folks just moving to Moriarty, how are you affected by this? At all?

Any talk of relocating to Ok or anywhere else?

We hope to be back shooting next month as El Mulo was saying. I hope to be up to it.I gonna get a hip replacement next week so I will see how I'm gettin around by then.

Largo

48 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

We hope to be back shooting next month as El Mulo was saying. I hope to be up to it.I gonna get a hip replacement next week so I will see how I'm gettin around by then.

Largo

Prayers Largo! You got a lot on your plate!!!

If you are interested in joining us for the farewell celebration, please indicate your “RSVP” if possible, by using the link below.

Food and drink will be provided, and this will allow me to plan accordingly for the gathering so that everyone has a great time. (And to ensure we stay within the NM COVID gathering restrictions)
Yes, this is a link to an event created on the  Founders Ranch FB page, but it is public (for folks on and off FB)- a FB account is not required. 
If this link doesn’t work for you, please send me an email to RSVP at misty@sassnet.com 

https://fb.me/e/QKt1TMSO

Misty Moonshine 

13 hours ago, Misty Moonshine said:

If you are interested in joining us for the farewell celebration, please indicate your “RSVP” if possible, by using the link below.

Food and drink will be provided, and this will allow me to plan accordingly for the gathering so that everyone has a great time. (And to ensure we stay within the NM COVID gathering restrictions)
Yes, this is a link to an event created on the  Founders Ranch FB page, but it is public (for folks on and off FB)- a FB account is not required. 
If this link doesn’t work for you, please send me an email to RSVP at misty@sassnet.com 

https://fb.me/e/QKt1TMSO

Misty Moonshine 

Misty, thank you!

We will be out of State, but will be there with you all in spirit.

Many memories to be had.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:20 PM, Choctaw Jack said:

Just wondering where the Buffalo Range Riders and any other clubs that shot their monthly matches at FR will now shoot?

Maybe in ABQ at the shooting range park?

Choctaw

I shot a Wild Bunch match at the ranch yesterday.  The club president says next month is the last match for the club.  The ABQ City Range is too far a commute for him.  (He lives far south of FR and already has a long commute.)

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I shot a Wild Bunch match at the ranch yesterday.  The club president says next month is the last match for the club.  The ABQ City Range is too far a commute for him.  (He lives far south of FR and already has a long commute.)

But...he has Capitan and Roswell within an hour for him...

We forget that many clubs have a minimum of 1.5 hours to go shoot...but there are several in range for us all to enjoy.

So many fond memories of Founders Ranch.  I believe my and Miss Ann's first visit was soon after purchase in 2004  and as I recall we parked RV at the "big house" for the night on the way to Winter Range.  It was rainy and balmy but I was given a walk tour, in the mud,  by Serita Slim in which he pointed out where probable construction would be (berms, parking, mounted arena, etc).  Plans were in discussion at the house then where some of WB were still there before departing Phoenix.  Miss Ann, although, not a shooter (but a costumer) loved the ranch.  (But then she loved the whole Santa Fe/Albq area as we visited there on occasions such as my annual elk hunts near Chama.)  

Besides our passing thru visits and EOTs there, I can remember being out in summer of '07 working a few days along side of Coyote Calhoun, Hipshot, Longhunter, Bighorn, and some others building props and such.  Heck, I think I cut out about every wheel for the train. (Some of you may remember a few wheels looked flat where I ran out of wood on the circle cut. I never claimed to be much of a carpenter.)

I have made all the EOTs at FR but as  I focus on some memories of ranch I can not help from remember that due to Miss Ann's love for the ranch and desire to see it "just one more time",  we also made the 2006 EOT even in her weakness.  The drive out of the ranch that Sunday was so sad knowing the inevitable.  I placed her in hospital a day after returning home.  She passed away 12 days later.  Of course memories surrounded each trip there, especially after 2006. 

I will miss Founders Ranch and its closer is bitter/sweet and the memories will linger.  As for EOTs, many of us moved on for 2005, we move on for 2021 and 2022.  With God's blessings, Sassy and I will see the futures moves. (BTW, Sassy's first sight of Founders Ranch was June 2015 not only for her first EOT and first major SASS match but also our honeymoon trip complete with hot air balloon excursion and tram ride.)

4 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

We’ll be having WB match at Mimbres on Friday of Memorial Day weekend if you need a fix then!:)

@Misty Moonshine see you on the 28th

I enjoyed being able to donate to the range. I had dinner at the ranch house with the Life Members and saw the annual improvements enhancing the range. It was a privilege to be a Founders Ranch Member and benefit from the perquisites. I am disappointed that I couldn't compete as an El Rey for what might have been my last EOT. My awesome memory of being there with my sons, Silly Billy, 55550L and Dirty Dog Dave, 55551L is priceless!

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

Archived