SASS Wire Forum

does anybody get their checks back?

Alpo

Back when I first got a checking account, down in the bottom left corner there was a line that said MEMO, and you would write down what the check was for - rent, car payment, bazooka purchase, whatever. Then at the end of the month, your bank would send you your canceled checks back, and you could look at that $1,700 check and say, "What the hell was this for? Oh yeah, I see it down here in the corner. It was when I bought my bazooka."

But my bank - actually a credit union - has not returned my canceled checks for more than 30 years. If you needed a copy of your canceled check for whatever reason, they would print you out one. For a dollar.

But as I say, my bank is a credit union. Maybe actual banks do it different.

Does your bank return your canceled checks to you?

My bank hasn't returned checks for years. I can print a copy of the check from their website if needed. I deposit checks electronically with my phone so the bank doesn't even get the original check, just my picture of it. I hold on to the original, then destroy it after it clears. 

Not returned, and available on their website via login to my account.

As a side note, I had a burn party a few years ago and burnt almost 30 years worth of returned checks and statements that my ex-wife had kept since the day we got married (1981).  It took the better part of two days to burn them in a trash barrel.

We don't do any electronic banking in the current way, Only have a flip phone. no auto deposit, auto pay, etc. The bank returns a copy of all our checks (not the originals) with the monthly statement mailed to us. 

We quit getting the "bundle" returned years ago ... BUT ... With our WFargo acct you can view "online" both sides of any check (incoming or outgoing).

.. However ..

Our checkbooks (thought they were all this way) have an impression sheet behind each check. 

When you write a check the "writing" is captured on the impression sheet. You essentially are left with a copy of each check you write.

In addition ... you can then go to a running balance section at the front of the book where you enter check number/amt etc etc and keep a running total of how much money you have left.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

My credit union doesn't return checks but scans them and I have access to them on the web.

This ^^^^

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

.. However ..

Our checkbooks (thought they were all this way) have an impression sheet behind each check. 

When you write a check the "writing" is captured on the impression sheet. You essentially are left with a copy of each check you write.

In addition ... you can then go to a running balance section at the front of the book where you enter check number/amt etc etc and keep a running total of how much money you have left.  :ph34r:

When I order checks, carbon copy is an option.

I choose not to do this:  the carbon copy checks cost more (not greatly so, but still) and if I am already recording the info in the register I don't see a need for the carbon copy.  I also have a debit card and I record all debit transactions in the register.

no , not for many years - nearly two decades now , we used to be able to request them but ive not needed one in over forty years to prove i paid either , i do keep a ledger of the few i write each month , as to new banking - im in the middle , not all paper and not all card - i still cant figure why ID theft is not a priority in our modern countries concerns , 

My wife and I have separate "Checking" accounts. I put Checking in quotes because there are no actual checks. We both have direct deposit, so no paper there. 

We pay our bills digitally, through the bank, so no paper there. But everything is accessible digitally. 

While I'm generally a borderline Luddite, in this case it makes things so much easier than having to get paper bills together, write paper checks, address envelopes, get and attach postage, and finally MAIL the darn things, and THEN manually balance the checkbook, and file everything. Oh yeah, since we have seperate accounts, I would have to go to the bank, deposit my check, draw money back out, give it to her, and then she would have to deposit it into her account. 

As it is, I sit at my Command Center, click a few buttons, and transfer money to her account. When she logs on to pay the bills, (she like doing this, and I don't mind not having to), it takes her 20 minutes, and she's done.  I remember as a kid, seeing my Dad sitting at the kitchen table for what seemed like hours surrounded by papers. I like this way better.

Since it's all on the banks computer, even if you computer takes a crap, you don't lose anything.

19 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That's an option but not all checkbooks are like that.  I switched to that style when my wife and I got a joint checkbook, because she's no good at keeping the ledger filled out. 

When I was at a credit union, the only way to see a check was to pay them to make a copy.  I have dumped them for other reasons, but now, like you, I use wells fargo and I can see an image of the checks online.  So maybe Alpo was right that it is a credit union vs big bank thing? 

20 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

When I order checks, ...

The Credit Union we use offers free online payment forour bills.  Saves me the money from purchasing checks AND saves postage too!  USPS will have to find a different way to lose my payments!  :D

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The Credit Union we use offers free online payment forour bills.  Saves me the money from purchasing checks AND saves postage too!  USPS will have to find a different way to lose my payments!  :D

Same here, but I still use checks on rare occasions.

A couple of the small mom & pop stores will take a check but not credit/debit card, or they charge a transaction fee for the use of a card.

My CU also offers to mail a check, at no charge, to a recipient if I so choose.  I have used this service frequently since I have been overseas.  Even though it does still go through USPS, it doesn't have to make a trans-Atlantic trip.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, Patagonia Pete said:

While those have been around a long time, they've never been universal at all. We've never had one; just checks and a small ledger book in the checkbook.

I stopped writing the checks in the ledger and balancing the checkbook years ago. We only write a few checks nowadays, and for several years now. We keep the balance up, and know we are always well within it. Then we look at the check copies and statements monthly. Not like when you're younger, and have to be painstaking about the record and the balance in the account.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I hear tell the Post Office is about to start charging us a convenience fee every time we sign up for paperless statements or do an online payment. 

They can't charge us for NOT using their "service"......................oh wait, were talking government here.....

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I hear tell the Post Office is about to start charging us a convenience fee every time we sign up for paperless statements or do an online payment. 

Variations of this canard have been around for years. Used to be they were going to charge for email. Doubt it....

Archived