SASS Wire Forum

Soft 12 ga. load using WST

I used WST years ago for 12 gauge but can’t find my notes. Looking for soft load information for 12 gauge,, 7/8 shot, wad used and how much WST or MEC bushing number. Thanks 

AA hull, W209 primer, Winchester grey wad (WAA12L?), WST with MEC #23 bushing.  Supposed to be the featherlight formula, but seem to shoot softer and be more reliable in cold weather.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Crisco said:

AA hull, W209 primer, Winchester grey wad (WAA12L?), WST with MEC #23 bushing.  Supposed to be the featherlight formula, but seem to shoot softer and be more reliable in cold weather.

Crisco, do you happen to know the charge weight ?  (I don't have a MEC, but I do have WST and grey wads).  I haven't loaded smokeless shotshells in years but if I don't find some more LNLR AA's in the next few months I will be loading some more.

the tables say 16.3, and it has been a long time since I weighed one, but think I recall it was actually ~15.6 on my MEC press.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 2

Thanks but it isn’t like I can go out buy any brand of powder I want. I got lucky finding some WST and that is the only powder loads I’m interested in at this time. Please everyone, I only want light WST loads for 12 gauge.

Edited by Caboose

Here is a link for the MEC powder bushing chart which shows WST powder: MEC Powder Bushing Info

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Caboose said:

Thanks but it isn’t like I can go out buy any brand of powder I want. I got lucky finding some WST and that is the only powder loads I’m interested in at this time. Please everyone, I only want light WST loads for 12 gauge.

My apology,  I removed my reply. You did indeed ask about WST and I immediately thought about the WSL powder that is used in the Feather Lite Ammo. Of course it is no longer available. I was unable to reproduce the Feather Lite loads using WST, that's why I changed to one that would. I am fortunate, I can go out and buy any powder brand that I want. Sorry to have confused the issue. I pretty sure that no body else will make the same mistake. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ethan Cord said:

Here is a link for the MEC powder bushing chart which shows WST powder: MEC Powder Bushing Info

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers

Never trust the Mec bushings to throw what they say they will.

For powder, try 17.0-17.5gn of Unique.

Less felt recoil than Featherlite.

OLG 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never trust the Mec bushings to throw what they say they will.

For powder, try 17.0-17.5gn of Unique.

Less felt recoil than Featherlite.

OLG 

Indeed, that is why I just provided the link to the chart so that the OP could determine what he wants to use once his research is complete. :D

He does not have Unique powder, he has some Winchester WST and wants to develop a load accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to load 14 1/2 grains of WST and 7/8 oz. shot- It worked great  for what we do- no problem with Knockdowns - little felt recoil,

I liked it because it was very clean burning-

Edited by Riverdog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1