SASS Wire Forum

New guy ammo mistake

Needle-Nose-Tom

If they are lead shot yes, if plated, bismuth or steel, no.

According to Win they are lead shot but will likely be WAY too heavy for our short distances and you will probably be asked to use something else. Most of us use mild reloads and frequently carry extra to matches. I think Wartrace will probably reduce the round count for SG to cut down on ammo consumption at monthlies. You could contact Whiskey Hayes( contact number is in the Chronicle)

Imis

They are all OK as long as they are lead shot.  The super handicap can just be unpleasant.  Interesting, but twice in the past I gave some low noise, low recoil, ammo to new shooters and was repaid with Super-Handicap.  Unless you shoot lots of trap, you have no idea they are heavy, high velocity loads for 27 yard trap.

Target, light target, xtra light target, and game loads are all fine for this game. 

We have one shooter who uses these shells.  I don't spot for him and stay well back of the shooting line when he shoots.   

When I started, I didn't know anything about shotshells either.  I went to a gunshow and asked the ammo dealers if this or that would be good for CAS.  Of course they said yes.  22 years later those boxes of shells are still sitting on my shelf. ^_^

It’s a matter of taste and what you can stand, but I have  shot no6 pheasant loads for sass for 30+ years. I don’t have much problem leaving standing shotgun targets.  But I am 6-3 240lbs and the recoil does not bother me.  My point is that light trap loads are not the only game in town.  

Shooters Handbook page 26

Shotgun size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or plated shot).

Magnum and high velocity shotgun shells are not allowed.

That being said....... Most cowboy ranges will be even more restrictive on shot size. I would highly recommend that you limit yourself to #7 1/2 shot or smaller.

It is not how fast the shot is going or the size of the pellet that knocks down our targets but the totality of the lead that hits it at one time. 1 oz of shot is more than enough to knock down a normal shotgun target at almost any speed. I have seen many times this load take down a target with only the primer as a propellant. <Not recommended for normal competition> Usually this is a result of a small error in reloading.

Many match directors cringe when their shogun targets are abused even though the load is not a "magnum" load. Heavy field loads are rough on targets when they are only 20/30  feet away. Add to that a full choke barrel and you can hear the steel groan. Please stay with the lightest target load you can find.

When you trade those shells do not get the white box Winchester Super X shells. These are very cheaply made and unless you are shooting a 97  you will have issues shucking them from a SXS.

Swap them for Winchester AAs, Remington STS, or Remington Gun Clubs in any light target load. You will be a lot happier even if they end up costing you more money.

8 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

What about light target load lead  9 shot? Might be able to switch out what I purchased. 

Yes, you can use light target load #9 lead shot. The #9's may not knock down targets without a full hit. Try to get #8, 7 1/2 or 7 light loads. Right now, even light target load shotgun shells are hard to get, good luck finding them.

if you find you can't trade and you bought enough of them, might be a good time to learn to reload shotshells, dump the powder, dump the shot, find out if you can reduce the powder safely or if you have to replace it with something else, reassemble with less shot, less powder/different powder, add some filler, maybe an overshot card and crimp crimp of your convenience.  should have some powder and shot left over to reload a few shells once you fire these.

Talked to them this morning and I was able to trade out for the light target 9 shot. That's all they had available. Might definitely try to reload if they aren't acceptable on the range. I figured they were better that the others anyway. Thanks everyone for the info. Just getting my feet wet in the game I'm sure it won't be my last oops. Haha

My vote would be to use 'em up. Hopefully you didn't buy a case. Just think how light, light loads will feel when you use these up.

And Welcome to the best game and folks goin.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

17 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

So I went and bought winchester AA super handicap 8 shot 12 gauge loads thinking they were light recoil. Are these even usable or legal? Pretty embarrassed to even ask. 

Most of us use 7.5 or 8

Majority of ranges call it on 6....

Go BP...I don't feel ANY recoil!:rolleyes:

Shot in size 9 will work fine.  As close as we shoot targets with shotguns, the pattern will be the size of a saucer, and you will never know the difference from #7.5

good luck, GJ

Needle Nose you are SOL ... Every vendor I looked at for Winchester AA Low Recoil Target Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz or 1oz is Out Of Stock.  The difference in velocity between these and Target rounds is only About 300 FPS so .... shoot what you bought and grin and bear it until the Low Recoils are back in stock and my guess will be a Long Time

Gambler, I have shot high brass shotgun shells since I was a tad over 12 and am 78 now.  Never “about broke my middle finger” cause I pull both triggers with my “Index Finger” .... 

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Gambler, I have shot high brass shotgun shells since I was a tad over 12 and am 78 now.  Never “about broke my middle finger” cause I pull both triggers with my “Index Finger” .... 

So do I.  The middle finger was behind the trigger guard. 

I may be exaggerating a teeny tiny bit about how close it came to breaking, but it did put a hurtin on it and broke the skin.  I chalked it up to the gun being too light. 

On 2/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

So I went and bought winchester AA super handicap 8 shot 12 gauge loads thinking they were light recoil. Are these even usable or legal? Pretty embarrassed to even ask. 

Let’s all answer posters question.   Usable YES, legal YES .  

Is it more Preferable use light or featherweight loads because takes a little less beating on you shoulder, YES.  But lots of luck finding them for some time.

shoot what you have , it’s all good.   Just get out there and enjoy!

18 hours ago, Assassin said:

I don't care for low noise low recoil loads.

If I catch a corner of a target I want the target to fall not stand there and laugh at me. Maybe I'm the odd man out.

You could also try hitting in the center of the target.  But I don't mean to stir up the old speed vs accuracy debate.  We all enjoy the game in our own ways. 

34 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You could also try hitting in the center of the target.  But I don't mean to stir up the old speed vs accuracy debate.  We all enjoy the game in our own ways. 

You are correct. However, I try to shoot stages in the teens not in the 30's. And, I have more clean match pins than most.

Archived