SASS Wire Forum

I learned something new today - reloading

Matthew Duncan

Somehow, my quality control (me) let a piece of 380 piece get in with the 9mm brass.  Reloaded with out a problem but fell through the case gage.

I was able to gently reclaim the precious jacketed bullet.  Rechecked myself several times that I pulled the correct jug of powder off the shelf (see quality control problems noted above) to pour the reclaimed powder back into the jug.

This is what I learned new.  In the pass I'd throw the primed brass into the scrap jug.  Primers are hard to come by so this time I used my Harvey deprimer to gently remove the primer from the 380 brass.  IT WORKED!  Compared the reclaimed primer with a new primer, no noticeable damage or difference!

Yep, if you are a little careful, a primer can be tapped out or punched out with sizer/decapper die without setting it off.   Been doing that for 45 years.  Wearing good eye protection is a minimum when doing that. 

good luck, GJ

Likewise here.  I didn't need to wait for the shortage to be a miser.   And they've always gone bang (I mean later, when they were supposed to, not when I saved them).  :)

I had a 380 get into the 9mm loading process the other day.  But they have different shell plates on my Dillon 550B,

so you you resize them, everything works OK, but when I prime the case it pops it out of the shell plate.

17 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I had a 380 get into the 9mm loading process the other day.  But they have different shell plates on my Dillon 550B,

so you you resize them, everything works OK, but when I prime the case it pops it out of the shell plate.

This 

Once in a while, I may have done similar things.  My more common mistake is to have a primer in the case - upside down.  What I have learned is it may depend on the brand of primers used because when I slowly & carefully extract the upside down primer, sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.  No problems most of the time, but just yesterday it didn't work.  The anvil part came apart as well as the magic stuff to ignite.   Didn't used to care much in the past but now that they are priceless when you can find them, well we are all in the same boat.

My wife and I were trying out 380's for her at a range one time.  you bought their ammo for their guns, then paid $10 and could use any of the rental guns in that caliber one at a time.  we tried the Kahr's, Bersa's, Kimber's, Rugers, but we had real issues with the Glock, that thing just wouldn't cycle right, took it back to the counter and they apologized for giving me the 9mm instead of the 380... 

Archived