SASS Wire Forum

Sugar goes in Iced Tea, NOT in cornbread!

DeaconKC

I like corn muffins, but they don't go with chili or ham and beans! Corn bread ain't sweet! Save that for the nanner splits!

I made cornbread over the weekend to go with the chili I made. It did not have sugar. I think my mother might haunt me if I did that.

I might add a teaspoon of vanilla to a batch of corn muffins, but cawn bread is its own entity!
I'll agree with Deacon KC, and the nanner splits!

10 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Don't like Tea with Sugar.

Me neither. 

My wife makes the best cornbread in the whole world.  I don't know if she puts sugar in it or not....and I ain't askin'!!! ^_^

As a rule, I don’t like cornbread and won’t eat it.  My son, Hatfield, makes a cornbread with a touch of sugar and it’s great with barbecue or as a base for turkey dressing!

If you have to drink dirty water, it should be sweet and ice cold!!

As I pointed out to a waitress at a NJ truckstop that was complaining about us Southerners ordering sweet tea, us dumb Southerners figured out a long time ago that if you put the sugar in whilst the tea is hot (like it is right after you boil the water), it melts better than if you pour it into a cup half filled with ice.;)

Since I am a type II diabetic, a nurse at our doctor's office referred me to an older published book called: "Sugar Blues". 

I got a copy from amazon. 

You read that book, you may not ever use sugar again. 

The nurse switched me to something called "monk fruit". 

Now I know why there may be so many type II diabetics in this country. 

Read it for yourself. 

Corn bread

About 2 cups corn meal, half a cup to a cup of AP flour,  a  3 finger pinch of salt,  a generous 4 finger pinch of baking soda, a palm full of baking powder,  about a cup and a quarter of buttermilk,  two eggs, about a half cup of hot fat of some sort,  preferably bacon grease or butter,  almost smoking hot (that gets added after everything else is mixed up).

Pour into a screaming hot cast iron pan, and then into a ho oven  - 425F to 450F.  Bake until golden brown and delicious. 

For a "dessert corn bread" make it with equal parts corn meal and flour,  or even 2:1 flour to corn meal.  Add about 2 TBS sugar or honey and a small pinch of allspice.  For the fat don't use bacon grease, too strong a flavor.  Butter,  canola oil, or shortening.   When it comes out of the oven,  cut a wedge,  split it open,  slather with butter,  drizzle on the honey,  or molassas, or spoon on some orange marmalade.  

8 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

As I pointed out to a waitress at a NJ truckstop that was complaining about us Southerners ordering sweet tea, us dumb Southerners figured out a long time ago that if you put the sugar in whilst the tea is hot (like it is right after you boil the water), it melts better than if you pour it into a cup half filled with ice.;)

Learned a long time ago when I moved away from home to just ask if they had simple syrup. Add the sweet water to the tea and avoid the gritty texture.

I can’t stand cornbread or corn muffins or corn pone...I grew up poor we had cornbread nearly everyday, especially in the winter when times were tough. We also had lots of bean soups, black eyed peas and ham and things like that. When I became an adult I still loved beans, beans soups and black eyed peas and ham hocks but I still cannot bring myself to eat cornbread and such. Yet I dearly love corn tortillas and tamales. Weird. 

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Learned a long time ago when I moved away from home to just ask if they had simple syrup. Add the sweet water to the tea and avoid the gritty texture.

I just make a nasty face and order a Coke.  If they say, "we have Pepsi, is that OK?" I tell them No, it's not and ask for water.

In Kenya, You add some whole tea leaves to your oversaturated boiled Milk sugar mixture, Garam Marsala spices optional. (My preference)

In GB, it isn't tea if it doesn't have milk, sugar optional (at least that's what the "Great Escape" taught me). 

Also, they used to have to spin up power reactors in France when Top Gear goes on commercial break for all the people putting the kettle on.

In Texas, colored water with flavors that would make a starbucks junkie blush must be saturated with sugar.

In Boston, the tea goes in the harbor.

In my part of Kansas, they have a peculiar disposition to cinnamon rolls with the chili.

13 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I've made cornbread (not from scratch) Krusteaz boxed mix. I mix in a can of creamed corn then add enough water to make it the right consistency. I like it.

Similarly, my wife mixes a box of cornbread mix with a box of yellow cake mix and the creamed corn. EXCELLENT !!!

Horace

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Corn bread

About 2 cups corn meal, half a cup to a cup of AP flour,  a  3 finger pinch of salt,  a generous 4 finger pinch of baking soda, a palm full of baking powder,  about a cup and a quarter of buttermilk,  two eggs, about a half cup of hot fat of some sort,  preferably bacon grease or butter,  almost smoking hot (that gets added after everything else is mixed up).

Pour into a screaming hot cast iron pan, and then into a ho oven  - 425F to 450F.  Bake until golden brown and delicious. 

For a "dessert corn bread" make it with equal parts corn meal and flour,  or even 2:1 flour to corn meal.  Add about 2 TBS sugar or honey and a small pinch of allspice.  For the fat don't use bacon grease, too strong a flavor.  Butter,  canola oil, or shortening.   When it comes out of the oven,  cut a wedge,  split it open,  slather with butter,  drizzle on the honey,  or molassas, or spoon on some orange marmalade.  

Hubby always spreads honey over his corn muffins. I chunk mine up and put it in chili. I buy Glutino or Bob's Gluten Free Mixes. 

About tea, I don't like it. It makes my teeth squeak. I've been to some "teas," where they served hot tea, and had to put cream in it to drink it.

50 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Don't shoot me! (Pun intended)

I always put a Tbl spoon of sugar in my cornbread.

Takes the 'bite' from the baking powder and soda...but can't quite taste the sweet.

You make it....that should be sweet enough. You don't need sugar. 

10 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

D1A25C94-A710-4F69-8911-2F9750607C22.jpeg

I haven’t made them in a long time but this is what I use, I think they’re great !

I used to put milk in cornbread but my lady does not do dairy. So water it is.

She also does not do sugar in cornbread which I used to do. So I experimented over time.

Leaving out the sugar requires a bit more liquid, wether using milk or water.

I can't tell the difference between milk or water.

I can tell the difference between sugar and no sugar (no sugar is better).

And as a basic principle, I learned sugar actually counts as a liquid when baking because it is a liquid at baking temperatures.

Is if you leave out a quarter cup of sugar, add another shy quarter cup of liquid (sugar has some air space). If you just leave out sugar, the result will be a bit dry.

I just Googled Jiffy Mix. It has too many ingredients.

"Ingredients

WHEAT FLOUR, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, SUGAR, ANIMAL SHORTENING (LARD, HYDROGENATED LARD, TOCOPHEROLS PRESERVATIVE, BHT PRESERVATIVE, CITRIC ACID PRESERVATIVE), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, WHEAT STARCH, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, SILICON DIOXIDE."

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

I used to put milk in cornbread but my lady does not do dairy. So water it is.

She also does not do sugar in cornbread which I used to do. So I experimented over time.

Leaving out the sugar requires a bit more liquid, wether using milk or water.

I can't tell the difference between milk or water.

I can tell the difference between sugar and no sugar (no sugar is better).

And as a basic principle, I learned sugar actually counts as a liquid when baking because it is a liquid at baking temperatures.

Is if you leave out a quarter cup of sugar, add another shy quarter cup of liquid (sugar has some air space). If you just leave out sugar, the result will be a bit dry.

You can use Lactaid which is real milk with the lactose removed. There’s no taste difference at all! It’s all I buy since I’m lactose intolerant also! There’s also Lactaid pills you take right before you have dairy.

We do have certain standards to uphold, even here in the saloon.  Talking about s**** and cornbread together is just a step too far.  I have been known to throw a little jalapeno in there, but that's as far as I can go.

I agree with @Smuteye John SASS#24774 even us dumb southerners figured out that sugar melts quicker in hot tea than in iced tea, and that's the way it ought to be.

Archived