SASS Wire Forum

An observation from a newer member and an open honest question to the audience

Shakes Peare

I've sold and bought a number of guns off of the wire.  If I list a gun for sale, I put a price on it that I feel is fair.  Yes I do like to make a profit, but many times I've just gotten my original investment out of it.  I really don't care who purchases it, as long as their money is good.  I've sold to individuals and dealers on this forum; all have been gentlemen and a pleasure to deal with.

I've paid asking price for some guns on the forum and others I've sent a PM offer.  If we can work out a deal, great, if not, no problem.  Honestly, I prefer to buy or sell a gun face to face to/from someone I know well.

I've done business with many cowboys locally and nationally, with few exceptions, they are the best people I've ever dealt with.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, Shakes Peare said:

Guessing the merchant, who by self declaration makes a living buying low, selling for profit had beaten the cowboy to one too many sales. (Maybe using bots or just plain investment in time).

I was going to leave this thread alone but can't stand the "unfair advantage" call out here. As long as I have used the SASS Classified,  no auctions are allowed,! So  every deal made in the Wire, is just that-a deal.  A conscientious agreement between the seller and the buyer! No one was "sniped" so to speak. If a feller felt a deal was pulled from under him/her, then the seller should be blamed too, by agreeing to sell to the buyer or merchant. I come to the SASS classifieds when I am looking for something, because I know that I will be dealing with like-minded folks that I certainly can trust. And that has not failed me yet, At the end of the day, as in life itself, one's success in landing a good deal in the SASS Classified can be caused by two things-LUCK and/or DUE DILIGENCE! The former not all of us will have, but the latter, we all can certainly do. Getting off my soapbox......:rolleyes:

DB:FlagAm:

I have sold things on the wire where the buyer did his best to try and talk down the price. Only to see them sell it for two to three times what they offered.    These vendors I will no longer sell to for any price.  My product,  my choice.    I've also sold guns to new shooters for way under value,  as well as gave a few guns away..

Would I be against vendors being banned from buying on the classifieds?  No.  Does it hurt me that they are allowed to?  No

It wouldn't be that hard to set up a classifieds where vendors aren't allowed.  Like a new shooter discount area.    If you want it to go to new shooters only post there.  If you want anyone to have a crack at it post to the normal classifieds. 

Just my .02.  If I post something for sale, it is because I don't have a need for that item and the sooner I can sell it, the sooner I can invest that money in an item I have a use for.  I set what I think is a fair price.  I don't care who says "I'll take it" first.  The sooner the transaction is completed, the sooner I can move on to the item I have a use for.  Maybe I set my prices too low, but I've never been contact by someone wanting to wheel and deal on a price.

If I sell something on the wire, it is because I no longer need it.  For example, a Schofield that I want $800 for.  I will send pictures to the photo collectors, but the first one to post "I'll Take It." is the buyer, and I don't care whether he resells it or not.

What I don't like is someone who PMs my buyer with a lower price.  If  you want to sell your article, you should list it on the wire.

Duffield

On 2/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, Shakes Peare said:

If we as a community feel there is a conflict of interest, then work to change what offends!

*I am sure there are other ideas that could work for the majority 

Why does selling and buying need to be non offensive or for the good of the majority?

The SASS classifieds are for buying and selling, those that invest the time will most likely get the "good" deals. 

Since when has SASS become the "cancel culture" if something is offensive or not working for the "majority" in someone's eyes?

As a buyer I'm certain I've offended sellers with offers that I believed were fair. As a buyer I've been offended by offers that in my opinion were ridiculously low. In the end if an agreement is made between the buyer and seller there shouldn't be any hard feelings on anyone's part, especially those not involved in the deal.

The hope would be that deals are made with a handshake and the folks involved in that deal honor their end of it in the Cowboy Way. Those that lost out move on and congratulate the "winner" of the deal, maybe rib them a bit about beating them the next time around.  

Tully

"The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit."   Milton Friedman

The only advantage a vendor has over me (and probably most anyone else) is that he knows what the gun is worth a lot quicker and he don't hem and haw about how much room is left in the safe. 

If a seller wants to give new shooters first crack (a sentiment I absolutely understand), seems like the thing to do is to watch the WTB posts and then contact them personally.  When you feel that's gone on long enough, then you make your post.  So new shooters get over there and make posts tellin us what you want to buy. 

I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to community of Cowboys/Cowgirls who have taken the time to read and consider the simple meanderings of this player.

I found insight and value in all responses.

Just a few thoughts on the message and I will move on to the next act.

I have no personal conflict or have no venom nor unkind thought or word for anyone real or imagined in these threads. Words words words.

My words were intended to shine a light on:

Conflict that was clear and present that had bled over into aspects of the forum that delivered bad optics to new members 

Attempt to point to what appeared to be the root cause of the conflict

Offer options to solve the problem and open the discussion so differing view points could hopefully sing out directly rather than smolder in the dark un tended 

Someone in passing mentioned cancel culture...  No thank you. I have no room for that nor participation trophy mentality in my philosophies. The desire to seek harmony in our daily lives does not equate to those paths.

I will leave you with the gratitude I started with. I hope to meet you all in person someday and break bread, shoot the shit and share stories.

Hopefully we can always smile at the end of a day as it moves into the next, 

Shakes Peare

If anyone feels there is unresolved holes in my plot, I will do my best to answer /discuss and private messages or if it suites a conversation on the phone.

Good night/morning to all

insomnia is a helluva thing

On 2/25/2021 at 10:50 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

For those that don'r want a vendor to buy the "good" deals how long should a "good" deal have to be up before anyone other than a new shooter can buy it? An hour, 8 hours, a day, a week?  

I think that this perception is what gets people so fired up . What’s a good deal ? People see a dealer buy a gun and automatically assume it was a good deal . And it probably was because most dealers have a good sense of what the market will bare . And I think it just burns some people that they missed a “good deal” . 
But people also need to realize that dealers can typically sell a gun for more than a private individual “look at car dealers” .

When I was a gunsmith the shop had me value firearms for trade . If You were a great customer the best you were ever going to do was 30% off of what we thought we could sell it for , but more typically it was about 50% . But that was a brick and mortar store which typically is going to need a higher percentage to survive than someone that doesn’t maintain a store front .

And right now all dealers need inventory they can move if there going to stay in business. So some higher prices are a “good deal”

If a seller puts up something for sale and they get their price more power to them , and it should matter who buys it . If it matters to the seller than put that stipulation in the terms of the sale . 
I would agree if someone is disrespectfully stomping on someone’s WTB post that’s wrong, but if they are picking up something the OP has passed on what’s the harm in that.

But the bottom line is we all need retailers, I know allot of people see them as the enemy but they really are doing the community a service. 

Okay, let's say the dealer buys a gun on the forum for $400. He pays the money right then and there. Seller gets to fix his car and is satisfied. Now the dealer has to clean, log it in to his FFL logbook and then post it, knowing it will take him sometime to sell the gun. This might be anywhere from 2 weeks to several months. The profit he makes is in the future and let's face it, that is shaky right now. Just for the record, his family doesn't have that 400 for a new computer for his kid, etc. either.

Archived