SASS Wire Forum

20 gauge low recoil recipe wanted

JP McLintock

I've been looking for awhile, and have yet to find a published load less than around 1150 fps. Winchester's Low Noise/Low Recoil 20g 7/8 oz load is rated at 980 fps (AA20FL8), just like their 12 gauge load, but they don't say what it is. I've been using ~12 grains Unique with 7/8 oz of shot, which is less than anything I've seen published, but I've never tried to chrono it. It kicks harder than Winchester's 980 fps 12 gauge Featherlite load though.

if you want to play with BP, you can just keep adjusting shot and powder until you have the characteristics you are looking for.  

17 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've been looking for awhile, and have yet to find a published load less than around 1150 fps. Winchester's Low Noise/Low Recoil 20g 7/8 oz load is rated at 980 fps (AA20FL8), just like their 12 gauge load, but they don't say what it is. I've been using ~12 grains Unique with 7/8 oz of shot, which is less than anything I've seen published, but I've never tried to chrono it. It kicks harder than Winchester's 980 fps 12 gauge Featherlite load though.

Thank you, that's pretty much what the wife has been shooting., I was curious what others may be using.

11 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

if you want to play with BP, you can just keep adjusting shot and powder until you have the characteristics you are looking for.  

I've been loading black powder for my son's single shot and it seems to work well for him.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived