SASS Wire Forum

Valuation on a Ruger

Dang It Dan 13202

Hello All,

I have a Ruger Old Model 3-screw flat top in .357 with a 4-5/8th barrel.  It is "unconverted" so it never went back to the Ruger shop for them to add the transfer bar.  Anyway, I was thinking about selling it but the valuations are all over the board.  This gun is in "good" condition with wear on the left side of the barrel at the tip and the left side of the trigger guard (holster wear).  According to what I can find it was manufactured in 1958.  

Can anybody give me a realistic idea what it's really worth?  Thanks.

Dang It

Dang it,

For comparison, I was in a local gs here in Tucson a week ago.  In the display case was a 3 screw flat top Ruger, .357 mag, 4 5/8 barrel.  It was not converted, but had been re-blued.  I was told it had an action job.  The price tag was $595.  Good luck.

Buckeye Pete

Well, Dang It,

That old pistol, it's almost as old as me, and I'm worthless, so it might only be worth about $100, but I'll give you twice that, sight-unseen.

I know that's a gamble on my part, but I want to help out a fellow shootist.

I'll be waiting on your reply.....

Brazos

I bought one at a local gun auction a little over a year ago and I was the guy willing to pay the most, isn't that the way it goes,  you pay more than anyone in the room.  Oh yah  final bid was 375.00.

Does it have the original box/paperwork with it? Although some say it doesn't matter, I think that it does matter and adds to the price of the gun. I spotted one at a gun show last weekend that was about 90% (real nice), no box, that had a $525 price tag on it. Don't know if it was a "gun show" price or not. 

See you at Ruskin.

Normally around $400.  However with the current craziness, you may get a little more.    My wife prefers them and both of hers stayed true to form on that.

The local shop took one in last week and paid $450 for it.   They put it on gunbroker.. it brought just over $900

boils down to 3 things condition condition condition, this is subjective  however nothing is as new unless it is new  most dealers view good condition as fair.  To get a good evaluation you need to take it to a gun show and find a good ruger collector and get an opinion as if you are gong to sell it to him,  You can take on one his table and say mine is as good as that one and take that price,  Used guns are like used cars no two are the same and look do not tell the whole story last but not least does the buyer want the gun and how bad.  Well I guess what I mean is " It Depends"

Early Flat tops are going in the $800.00 + range for 93%+ guns, More if they are a rare variation and have the original box and paperwork,Like the Ross guns.Best bet would be to post on the Ruger Forum with pictures, They will give you a good approximation of value and what generation the gun is. Good luck with your sale.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=4b2aa6547bde76a6b91a423e5bfaf65d

On 2/25/2021 at 7:49 PM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

You figure it out,  I might be interested.   let me know.

Sorry it took me so long to reply - been kinda busy and forgot about it.

This gun does not have the original box/paperwork.  I have a suspicion that it may have been reblued at some point but they did a good job.  It's a shooter for sure.  You can PM me here or call me.  I can bring it to the Ides if you like so you can check it out.

See you soon, Dan.

That configuration is in the $600-650ish range. A bit less for the 5-1/2" barrel. Condition is everything. Good condition means nothing really. If in the 90-92%, the prices I quoted are pretty much ball park. If in the 80-90, then $100 less.  If in the 95-98, then $100+. If the original two piece box ($100=/-) or paperwork ($50-75) or complete warranty card ($25-50) is with it, then the price adjusts accordingly. 

I'm seeing a lot of words, but I don't see any pictures.  A lot of people say they have a flat top, when all they have is an "old model".   All blackhawks have a "flat top".

Just sayin'

Archived