SASS Wire Forum

A New Level of Stupid

Subdeacon Joe

Watching a Hallmark murder mystery.   Lady detective gets knocked out,  has her gun stolen. 

Bad guy gets the drop on her love interest.

She has her back up gun out and says "Go ahead,  shoot him."  Bad guy pulls trigger,  gun goes click.

"You let him shoot me!"

"He didn't shoot you.  Like every cop I KEEP THE CHAMBER EMPTY. "

Yeah,  right.

i just watched that and darn near spit my beer all over the screen , but then as my friend always says when i complain of these things - "its only a TV show and those folks never research anything they put out " 

Good Lord, even here in Canada, we wouldn't keep the chamber empty!

Used to be an anthology TV series back in the seventies called Police Story.

One episode had experienced detective Lloyd Bridges and his new young partner Ryan O'Neal. Lloyd taught Ryan to keep the first chamber up on his 6 inch Python empty. Not the one under the hammer - the next one, the first one up.

If you needed to shoot someone, you knew that first one was going to be empty and you just pulled through it - click BANG. But if a bad guy ever got your gun he would be expecting that first one to go off, and if he tried to shoot you he would probably stand there puzzled for a moment when it just went click. This would give you time to pull your 2 inch back-up and shoot him.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

One episode had experienced detective Lloyd Bridges and his new young partner Ryan O'Neal. Lloyd taught Ryan to keep the first chamber up on his 6 inch Python empty. Not the one under the hammer - the next one, the first one up.

If you needed to shoot someone, you knew that first one was going to be empty and you just pulled through it - click BANG. But if a bad guy ever got your gun he would be expecting that first one to go off, and if he tried to shoot you he would probably stand there puzzled for a moment when it just went click. This would give you time to pull your 2 inch back-up and shoot him.

I actually know a guy that pocket carries a small 5-shot S&W J frame that way!  The logic behind this method of carry is not sound. 

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

10 minutes ago, July Smith said:

I actually know a guy that pocket carries a small 5-shot S&W J frame that way!  The logic behind this method of carry is not sound. 

Honestly , I am not sure that I wouldn’t slap someone if they said that to me. That’s probably one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Not kidding. They would deserve a nice memorable smack. :blink:

In nearly every single police drama, they show a cop or detective getting ready to go through a door or otherwise clear a building.  Inevitably, they show the actor with their back against the wall and the gun up near their face, pointing upwards.  Anyone who has ever been trained how to "slice the pie" or clear a building knows this is complete garbage.  Why do they do it?  It puts the actor's face in the same camera shot as the gun.  

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

A lot of things that looked good on paper ended up in the round file. 

But like the man said, it is just a TV show. Myself, I kinda like watching Paw Patrol with my 5 year old great grand son. 

Andy of Mayberry.  We all know that Barney was ordered to carry his revolver empty and THE bullet in his shirt pocket.

Well Andy had caught a high profile crook and the State Police was on the way to get the crook.  Barney was left to watch the Crook locked in the Mayberry jail cell.  Well the Crook got the drop on Barney and took Barney's revolver.  Crook locked Barney in the cell and was half way to the door when Andy walked in.  Andy was nervous until he learned it was Barney's revolver the Crook was pointing at him.  Andy told the Crook that the gun was empty...click...click.  Andy smiled and took the gun from the Crook and locked the Crook back in the cell.  Unknown to Andy,  Barney had loaded his one bullet, fortunately in the wrong chamber. 

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

In nearly every single police drama, they show a cop or detective getting ready to go through a door or otherwise clear a building.  Inevitably, they show the actor with their back against the wall and the gun up near their face, pointing upwards.  Anyone who has ever been trained how to "slice the pie" or clear a building knows this is complete garbage.  Why do they do it?  It puts the actor's face in the same camera shot as the gun.  

We call that the high Sabrina

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The Hallmark Channel?  You ought to watch something really racy like the now non-PC Muppets.

As I mentioned above, my wife likes it, and there is some decent eye candy in them - without being vulgar.
I never liked the Muppets.

Jim Cirillo, famous NYC policeman, tells a story about a fellow officer. The officer wanted Cirillo to step into another room outside the view of everyone else. He pulled open his jacket and his revolver had a rag tied around it. He explained he had pulled his revolver out and cocked the hammer. Didn't end up shooting and didn't know how to lower the hammer so he tied a handkerchief around it between the hammer and the frame. He'd carried it like that for a week and said he figured if something happened he'd just untie the handkerchief. 

17 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Andy of Mayberry.  We all know that Barney was ordered to carry his revolver empty and THE bullet in his shirt pocket.

Well Andy had caught a high profile crook and the State Police was on the way to get the crook.  Barney was left to watch the Crook locked in the Mayberry jail cell.  Well the Crook got the drop on Barney and took Barney's revolver.  Crook locked Barney in the cell and was half way to the door when Andy walked in.  Andy was nervous until he learned it was Barney's revolver the Crook was pointing at him.  Andy told the Crook that the gun was empty...click...click.  Andy smiled and took the gun from the Crook and locked the Crook back in the cell.  Unknown to Andy,  Barney had loaded his one bullet, fortunately in the wrong chamber. 

I remember that episode. The Crook pulled the trigger five times before giving it up. After he was locked back up, Andy explained that he had Barney always keep the gun unloaded, and proceeded to pull the trigger again, shooting a hole in the ceiling of the cell.

i rather enjoy some of what is on hallmark , that said i dont want to load when stuff goes bad , im not counting on an empty chamber if the bad guy gets my gun , ill not be cocking my hammer on a semi auto when the SHTF and most everything on TV is for affect not to portray reality , 

It’s not just the Hallmark Channel.  Just for the heck of it, the next western movie you watch count the number of times one actor sweeps another with a gun.  Even the Duke did it, quite often.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:53 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

As I mentioned above, my wife likes it, and there is some decent eye candy in them - without being vulgar.
I never liked the Muppets.

Not even Oscar the Grouch or the Cookie Monster?:P

On 2/24/2021 at 11:13 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Good Lord, even here in Canada, we wouldn't keep the chamber empty!

You know, after some thought, I remembered an occasion here, when I was the Purchasing Agent for my city, (including Police and Fire) that gave me pause.

Our Police Service was still using revolvers, DA, Colt Police Positives, with a round butt and a 4" barrel.

I learned that officers were instructed to only load 5, so the firing pin would rest on an empty chamber. (Yes, the inspector read a lot of westerns)

Archived