SASS Wire Forum

Guns of the Old West

Rye Miles #13621

Interesting article about the Thuer conversion and a nice tribute to Jimmy Stewart. This is one to pick up if you don't subscribe already.

IMG_2386.JPG

I agree.  This is a great magazine and this was one of the better issues of late.  Certainly the best since they came under new ownership.  And I say that even though I don't particularly care for Jimmy Stewart movies!  When I looked at the cover I thought it was going to be a quick read as I'd probably be skipping a lot of articles. 

That Thuer conversion was crazy.  I wish the article was twice as long.  How the heck were those things headspaced?  It's keeping me up at night.  With no rim, and being loaded from the front, what keeps it from falling out?  What keeps it from being pushed into the forcing cone when the hammer hits it? 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That Thuer conversion was crazy.  I wish the article was twice as long.  How the heck were those things headspaced?  It's keeping me up at night.  With no rim, and being loaded from the front, what keeps it from falling out?  What keeps it from being pushed into the forcing cone when the hammer hits it? 

That was pretty good.  I actually know something Ian doesn't!  The setting that he called 'basically a snap cap' was really to eject spent cartridges. 

He did answer how the round was supposed to stay in though, and I have my doubts that shoving it in real tight is a good plan. 

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That was pretty good.  I actually know something Ian doesn't!  The setting that he called 'basically a snap cap' was really to eject spent cartridges. 

He did answer how the round was supposed to stay in though, and I have my doubts that shoving it in real tight is a good plan. 

Guess I'll have to look for that issue at Walmart, usually read it there.  I have had my hands on Uberti's copy of the Thuer.  It is on an 1860 and is different from the '49 shown in the video (thanks for that video Dave).  It does not have the spring loaded gizmo for one thing.  The ring has a spring and ball detent if I recall which holds it in the Fire or the Eject positions.  Now, the '49 must have some way to eject the empties, so I wonder if you drop the hammer from full cock while holding the ring to the left or if there is some other position because it does look like a safe way to carry six, but if you dropped the hammer in that position or maybe just bumped it too hard it might eject the loaded cartridge in that case.  Don't know.  But this prompted me to find my pics of the Uberti and I'll make another post about that rather than hijack this one, and iy will have Thuer in the title.

I read mine from cover to cover in one sitting. One of the best ones in a long time.

16 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I have my doubts that shoving it in real tight is a good plan. 

if using a heeled bullet, where the lead is bigger in diameter than the case, it would hold itself together in the cylinder the same way that a cap and ball revolver retains it's ammo.  cases should be slightly undersized, ram the cartridge in until the case bottoms out in the cylinder, should be able to create a repeatable zero tolerance headspace, pretty neat actually.

disclaimer, I haven't watched the video or seen the article yet so I'm inferring what the design is, I'll look at it later.  on that note, does this thing have a rammer still?  that would be the most reasonable way I can think of to load a brass case from the front

19 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Must be nice to be rich like you Rye! To be able to afford a prescription to that magazine. 

I bought it off the shelf for  I don't subscribe to it. I saved my pennies for a couple months to be able to afford this issue! $8.99!!!! Yikes!

Archived