SASS Wire Forum

20 GA Double Barrel

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

I am looking for a 20 gauge double barrel for my wife. Other than Stoeger (I have a 12 gauge), what other brands do folks use?  

My wife is petite so a youth model might be an option. Internal hammers only. Single trigger preferable.

Col. Del Rio

I use a 1900's era 20 gauge sxs that was a hardware store special manufactured on the same tooling that the fox shotguns were made on (crescent firearms I believe).  $200 shipped and transferred back in 2014. it needs a polish job on the chambers and the locking tab between the cylinders can be seen as a detriment to quick loading by some people.  the 120 year old foreend occasionally needs some TLC to the wood, but she keeps shooting, so I keep shooting...  The barrels are browned instead of blued and I find it fetching.

She would be better served, IMHO, with a properly fit 12 gauge shooting very light loads.

My wife had her 12 gauge Stoeger fit to her for shooting ground targets (not flying targets), by a knowledgeable gunsmith, and I developed a 7/8 ounce load using Clays that is lighter than a featherlite, and knocks 'em down every time.  In my experience, women who shoot a 20 because, they believe it to be a lighter load, just get beat-up by the gun.

My 2 cents, 

--Dawg

Colonel, I have Stoegers in a 12 Gauge Coach gun and a 20 Gauge Uplander with 26" barrels. Due to the smaller frame of the 20, I cannot tell any real difference in recoil when shooting light recoil loads. I would suggest whichever one you do decide on, get a really good recoil pad installed. I really, really like the Remington Supercell one.

My wife shoots SKBs.  They are quite light weight.  There are used 20 gauge SxSs for sale.  Johnny Meadows fit both her SKBs to her.  She shoots Winchester low noise, low recoil AAs when she shoots smokeless.  She says trap loads give her a concussion.

2 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

She would be better served, IMHO, with a properly fit 12 gauge shooting very light loads.

My wife had her 12 gauge Stoeger fit to her for shooting ground targets (not flying targets), by a knowledgeable gunsmith, and I developed a 7/8 ounce load using Clays that is lighter than a featherlite, and knocks 'em down every time.  In my experience, women who shoot a 20 because, they believe it to be a lighter load, just get beat-up by the gun.

My 2 cents, 

--Dawg

^^^THIS^^^

The most important thing is that the gun fit her. Getting the LOP correct goes a long way towards taming recoil.

Second most important is that she place the butt plate in the correct spot. Have the other women shooters give her pointers on how to properly shoulder the gun. 

I have a local pard that has a couple of 20 gauge SKB's for sale, send me a PM if your interested. One has been worked over by Johnny Meadows, and he has another one is a stock gun. BTW there are 20 gauge Winchester AA shells available in low noise, low recoil, just like the 12 gauge ones.

TB

12 Gauge doubles can be loaded with less recoil than a Featherlite 20.. That's what I use for my girl Sea Scouts and other kids. Even when I load super light shells in my 20 gauge doubles, their recoil is heavier than the 12s.  I think that's because the 12s are heavier.

we , at our gunclub , always recommend a 12 over a 20 to new high school shooters , although they look smaller they kick harder , the auto loaders are better but not a sass shotgun obviously , 

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

^^^THIS^^^

The most important thing is that the gun fit her. Getting the LOP correct goes a long way towards taming recoil.

That's it in a nutshell.  A few years ago at Smokeout in the Hills I saw a lady, who shall remain nameless, getting kicked silly because she had put a slip-on recoil pad on her husband's shotgun.  When she took the pad off she had a lot less kick to deal with, but she soon got a shotgun that fit her and was much happier.

Duffield

It's not always the recoil you have to deal with between 12 & 20 gauge. It is also the weight of the shotgun. I wasn't worried about recoil with my wife as I knew I could load up a light shell. However when she held up my 12 ga. Stoeger SxS it was heavy for her and she had to hold it almost leaning back to keep it up instead of leaning forward into it. The 20 ga. Stoeger SxS youth model was lighter, and she could hold the shotgun correctly to shoot it. You really have to look at the individual and what it is that they can handle.

My traveling partner's wife is 5' 4" and weighs about 110 pounds soaking wet. She just started in CAS this past year. Her CAS shotgun is a 12 gauge single trigger Stoeger using light loads and she gets along fine with it. One thing that I have noticed with new shooters is that the 12 is a lot easier for them to load on the clock because of the larger chamber mouths...

Archived