SASS Wire Forum

Rice as tumbling media?

Chief Rick

Just stumbled across an article talking about using rice as tumbling media.

Says it doesn't dust up like crushed walnut/pecan shells.

Anyone try it?

I don't see myself changing from I currently use but if supplies of cleaning media get as scarce as other shooting supplies, you never know...

57 minutes ago, Lunger Dan said:

Be ready to pick rice out of each flash hole..I tried it once-never again
Lizard litter will always be available and cheap at the pet store

One of the things mentioned was to use larger grained rice to keep this from happening.

Also mentioned was it wouldn't work at all for .17 caliber cartridges.

If your lizard litter is dusty, you need a used dryer sheet in your vibratory bowl.  No more dust and cleaner media afterwards, too.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If your lizard litter is dusty, you need a used dryer sheet in your vibratory bowl.  No more dust and cleaner media afterwards, too.

good luck, GJ

+1

6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

...Says it doesn't dust up like crushed walnut/pecan shells....

Higher than normal lead in my blood is the main reason I switch from "Dry" tumbling to "Wet".  There is lead particles in all that dust don't you know.

6 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I think someone is missing some info. I have never heard of using rice. But, I have used rice hulls. If you are near rice growing country there will be a rice mill near. You can get the hulls by the truck load. They work much like ground corn cob or crushed walnut.

No sir.  That would be an incorrect assumption.  The article included pictures, along with a link to the specific rice used.

You can buy 40 # bags of corn cob media from Grainger for $35 and if you have a sandblasting supply house near you crushed walnut media for cheap. I paid $19 for a 50# bag but found it to be too dusty for my needs.

I did Lyman media for a few years. I tried wet tumbling a few months ago. I will never, ever, go back to dry media, ever. And, please, if you shoot BP, clean your shells. I pick brass at the matches and the guys that shoot BP and don't clean... I want to cuss them because their shells blend in very well with the dirt and gravel. Make them things glisten from 30 yards away!

On 2/24/2021 at 9:38 AM, Lil_Rob said:

I'd be sleeping outside if I tried to use my wife's rice for something like that 

I used rice once.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  Silly me.  Just because my wife had been on a no carb diet since 3 years prior when she originally vacuum packed that rice and put it away did NOT mean I was allowed to use it. 

It worked well, but the aftermath made sure it was the only time I did it.  Didn't even dare to reuse the same rice.  She didn't think it was funny when I offered to clean it up and eat it. 

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

Steamed or fried rice doesn't leave any dust.:ph34r:

Yes, but the next processing step does make it a little undesirable.:wacko:

To speed up the process, one must use quick grits! :P

Archived