SASS Wire Forum

Scope finish to rifle finish

sassnetguy50

Do you match the scope finish to your rifle finish?

Bought a stainless steel rifle that was going to get a silver scope until the recent price hike.  Looks like grey shades have gone away with the gloss scopes.  Do the manufacturers expect us to put flat matte scopes on everything?

Well, you could have the scope Cerakoted, but I only know one shop that’ll do it and that was years ago so I am not sure if they still would do it. It was MTG Guns in Elk Grove, CA. 

Trouble is Cerakote isn’t  real glossy, if that’s what you’re looking for in a finish. 

I think matte black on a stainless rifle looks great, personally. 

I tend to put old Weavers and Redfields on older guns.  Also, gloss Leupold goes on shiny tang safety Ruger 77's and Model 70's.  But thats just me and I don't like bead blasted finishes and synthetic stocks either.  Showing my age I guess.

I never owned a scope until about two weeks ago.  I never learned how to use one.

I bought a very classy Mannlicher-Schoenauer M-1908 rifle with claw mount and decided to keep it and find a scope.  My gunsmith suggested a 1" 2x or 3x fixed power for this vintage rifle.

I found a Weaver K2.5-1 on ebay and it looked right  When it arrived i found it matches the finish on the rifle exactly.  I LIKE IT!!!

It's now at the smiths waiting for rings for that furschlugginer claw mount.

Pics when I get it all back.

At my age it may be the only scope I ever own, but if I ever get another I'll try to match it to the finish on the rifle.

(BTW, does anyone have any 8x56 Mannlicher/ MS rimless ammo for it.  I've picked up a total of seventeen rounds so far.  The stuff is harder to find than chicken lips.

Your choice as to what you like. Me, I match scope to barrel.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I never owned a scope until about two weeks ago.  I never learned how to use one.

I bought a very classy Mannlicher-Schoenauer M-1908 rifle with claw mount and decided to keep it and find a scope.  My gunsmith suggested a 1" 2x or 3x fixed power for this vintage rifle.

I found a Weaver K2.5-1 on ebay and it looked right  When it arrived i found it matches the finish on the rifle exactly.  I LIKE IT!!!

It's now at the smiths waiting for rings for that furschlugginer claw mount.

Pics when I get it all back.

At my age it may be the only scope I ever own, but if I ever get another I'll try to match it to the finish on the rifle.

(BTW, does anyone have any 8x56 Mannlicher/ MS rimless ammo for it.  I've picked up a total of seventeen dounds so far.  The stuff is harder to find than chicken lips.

Sent you a PM

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I don't.  I also don't care for shiny guns/scopes on hunting rifles.

See the source image

Custom finish by Krylon...

All of my hunting rifles except for my wife's Grandad's Model 70, my old Savage model 99 and my dad's Krag have "Custom by Krylon" finishes. With those it doesn't matter whether the scope matches any part of the gun. Once it's finished it does... :D 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, you could have the scope Cerakoted, but I only know one shop that’ll do it and that was years ago so I am not sure if they still would do it. It was MTG Guns in Elk Grove, CA. 

Trouble is Cerakote isn’t  real glossy, if that’s what you’re looking for in a finish. 

I think matte black on a stainless rifle looks great, personally. 

This particular stainless is brushed, maybe a mild shiny finish.  A matte silver that tone matches would look good.  My gloss reference was for deep blued barrels in a high gloss stock.  The local store didn't have a gloss finish scope to match a model 70 last year.  

Archived