SASS Wire Forum

Changes coming to the website?

Branchwater Jack SASS #88854

5 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

One question why doesn’t the shooter have on a traditional looking cowboy hat?

You've never seen a derby with a flat top?  Traditional "cowboy" hat is not required.

But, as for the OP, I like the top row of links... 

43 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Because, not everyone needs to be a cowboy.

Although, I would add, that rolled up sleeve which are fastened or secured in place are now specifically listed as being verboten.

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Because, not everyone needs to be a cowboy.

Although, I would add, that rolled up sleeve which are fastened or secured in place are now specifically listed as being verboten.

Are you referencing rolling up a long sleeve and permanently securing it into a short sleeve by sewing or something. Isn't a long sleeve rolled up and secured by a garter ok?

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

SASS meets the Sopranos

Yes again SASS has a golden opportunity to promote the sport.

Instead of one photo on the home page they could have a slide show of a variety of SASS members.  Women, younger folks, different shouting styles, different firearms and new shooters.  Make  suggestions.  Having the same photo is not only boring but ignored.  Make it interesting!!!!!

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Are you referencing rolling up a long sleeve and permanently securing it into a short sleeve by sewing or something. Isn't a long sleeve rolled up and secured by a garter ok?

Rolling up the sleeves and using garters is fine.

Adding an 'eye' or loop to the top part of the sleeve that affixes to a button on the rolled-up sleeve, to fasten the rolled sleeve to the top of the sleeve would be illegal. Sewing a rolled up sleeve in place or tacking it in place would be illegal.

Not saying that any of that is what is happening here. Can't make any of that out from the photo. They could be even be legally rolled with an army style roll, but just a point of interest, I am trying to head off anyone else wanting to take a stab at it for something that is not there.

I was going to later talk about how he is wearing lug soled shoes and non-period underwear.

I like the vest, btw.

SHB pg 44

Short Sleeved Shirt (for males clothing)- A shirt with sleeves that do not extend to the wrist. (Rolling up the sleeves on a long-sleeved shirt is acceptable. Fastening or securing the rolled-up sleeve(s) in place is the same as a short sleeve and is prohibited.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

No, but why show someone with that kind of hat?  When I think of cowboy that hat doesn’t spring into my mind.

That's a problem with perception.

I think the best solution is to have a slideshow of shooters, as recommended above.

There's already a dedicated thread on the Wire that they could go to and copy and paste.

9 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I don’t think that’s the look that SASS would want to promote.

Or is it a look you don't want SASS to promote?

What can you see in the pic that breaks any SASS clothing regulations?

The sleeves? Maybe - depending on whether they are actually fastened or secured (I can't tell FOR SURE by the picture, benefit goes to the shooter).

The hat? Just because someone may not think of this as a "cowboy hat" doesn't mean it's prohibited.  As mentioned hats are not required, except for specific costume categories.

I’m looking at it from a new shooters or someone interested in the sport perspective. Short sleeves aren’t legal and these look like short sleeves whether they are or not. Very confusing for a new shooter. This is cowboy action shooting, even though the hat is legal it doesn’t fit most people’s idea of a cowboy hat. Once again, confusing for someone checking it out or a new shooter trying to figure out the costume requirements. Why not show what most of us consider traditional cowboy dress for a cowboy shooting sport?  That is my opinion and I’m sticking with it. 

All right...since some could not take the hint, I'll mention it...did anyone notice that he is wearing lug sole shoes as well?

43 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Once again, confusing for someone checking it out or a new shooter trying to figure out the costume requirements. Why not show what most of us consider traditional cowboy dress for a cowboy shooting sport?

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

When I think of cowboy that hat doesn’t spring into my mind.

Y'all realize that the hat worn there is legal for the Classic Cowboy category, right?

And, it is legal dress for all but the B-western category

And, in case you are wanting to look for a new hat, here is a page from the 1895 montgomery wards catalog...

da4b840f-df8a-4c59-bc68-99075966677c_1.4ab5b221efe292d8f10b678eeff81b50.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

All right...since some could not take the hint, I'll mention it...did anyone notice that he is wearing lug sole shoes as well?

Y'all realize that the hat worn there is legal for the Classic Cowboy category, right?

And, it is legal dress for all but the B-western category

And, in case you are wanting to look for a new hat, here is a page from the 1895 montgomery wards catalog...

da4b840f-df8a-4c59-bc68-99075966677c_1.4ab5b221efe292d8f10b678eeff81b50.jpeg

Not talking legal or not. If you read my thread it is talking about what most people, especially newbies, would consider traditional. If I was interested in checking out CAS as a newbie, my first question would be”what is cowboy about that shooter?” You can read the rule book to get all the details. I am talking about first impressions of the sport. Plus, the short sleeves sure don’t help. 

It's not a "Sport."  It's just a "GAME".  Everybody snivels about drawing in new folks and when someone makes a suggestion the same Whiners Poo Poo the suggestions.

So far my only complaint on this is the Events tab only shows the big matches.  The Find Matches tab requires you to put in a key word, and then it just brings up the name of the match or the name of the local club.  You have to hit the View Details button to see what date and location the match is.

I much prefer the way it works and is sorted by date in the current SASSNET version.  For example, if I'm traveling to Georgia in May, I can scroll down to May and see what events might be happening in May near Georgia.  Also, I can see if there are two state matches relative close to each other in time and location to make a dual-match trip possible.

Current version shown below.

image.thumb.png.e73678a7bb3316b667338382e37aeb95.png

2 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

sassnet.com still looks like this....is OP a new website?

In reality, it looks like a redesign attempt for the website that was made a couple of years ago that did not make it into production. Misty talked about it back in 2019.

It does show, however, that, behind the scenes, there is a lot of things going on that we might not know about.

17 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Looks "historically correct" to me....

east-west-transcontinental-railroad.thumb.jpg.b4e9bd62fad4b7646abe4f80c387b999.jpg

3 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

In reality, it looks like a redesign attempt for the website that was made a couple of years ago that did not make it into production. Misty talked about it back in 2019.

It does show, however, that, behind the scenes, there is a lot of things going on that we might not know about.

And could probably be discussed some more... with an eye to implementing them, or what it would to take to do so... 

Archived