SASS Wire Forum

1892 front sight blade

Three Foot Johnson

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice. If you need a front sight blade and discover an old Chicago Cutlery stainless steel kitchen knife tang is the exact thickness you need... KEEP SEARCHING! :lol: That stuff is about impossible to drill a hole through, no matter how slow your drill press runs. 

A little final shaping, and I can finally step outside and start carving it down to point-of-impact. :)

92sight.jpg

Working with some stainless steels can be a real challenge.

Buddy talked me into helping him put stainless steel back splashes in his kitchen. Stuff ate drill bits and jig saw blades for breakfast lunch dinner and desert. Finally bought diamond cut off wheels and a die grinder. Cooled the SS with water to prevent discoloration. Went through a lot of diamonds to cut all those electrical outlet holes. 

We used a shear at work after hours to cut it to length; otherwise we would have never finished.

I rebuilt a Win 1894 made in 1908.  I filled the missing front sight blade with a cut 1908 dime.  I mounted the portion that had 1908 on it so the year was visible.  Cost was under $5.  

I gave silver coins a look, but dimes are far too thin for a good mechanical fit in the slot. Two of them, shaved and soldered together, might have been workable...

A silver quarter was a snug fit, but looking close, the edge is raised slightly above the rest of the coin and filing the edge flat to the coin would make for a less than ideal fit.

Knife tang - 0.066", Mercury dime - 0.0475"

.25-20 made in 1905. :)

1892sight.jpg

I went to a hobby shop and bought a piece of flat brass stock to make a front sight for my Rossi 92, It fit fine and was easy to work with.

2 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I went to a hobby shop and bought a piece of flat brass stock to make a front sight for my Rossi 92, It fit fine and was easy to work with.

Yup! A nickle would also work, but might take a sight more filing to get the right fit.  Flat brass comes in a number of thicknesses.  Between front sights on a rifle and model railroading, I keep a bunch of brass stock around.

Stay well and safe!

I've got a lot of different thicknesses of brass flat stock on hand, but I really wanted to use silver...

... and the stainless is silver colored...

... so the story is...

... it's a segment of a Spanish Piece of Eight recovered from the Black Pearl after it was sunk off Oak Island during WWII by the CSS Hunley.  ;) 

Funny how a two hour job can turn into several hours over the course of two days. :lol:

WinchesterSight.jpg

Archived