SASS Wire Forum

32 Bullets

Snakebite

About the only place I've found for this particular bullet was Speer.  Actually, its a 60 gr Speer Gold Dot HP.

With luck, they may have some in stock.   If you only need about 10 or so, let me know and I'll send you some.

I got less than 1/2 a box.

..........Widder

I have a question concerning the .32 ACP.

Does anyone know if the .32 ACP will handle a bullet greater than a 60 grain.

I ask because there has to be some room for an ample powder charge AND... (here's the big question),  will

any of the higher grain bullets work or fit in the magazine after being properly seated in the case?

I know those heavier bullets will fit in the case, but will it leave any room for a powder charge?

Just curious.

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I ask because there has to be some room for an ample powder charge AND... (here's the big question),  will

any of the higher grain bullets work or fit in the magazine after being properly seated in the case?

I know those heavier bullets will fit in the case, but will it leave any room for a powder charge?

Just curious.

..........Widder

Midway lists a number of .32 ACP ammo (out of stock) of up to 75 gr.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I once ordered 85gr Hornady XTP by mistake, just loaded them to the same OAL and reduced the charge some. Worked perfect in my 1903 Colt, but I doubt they go fast enough to expand.

Found some! Thanks to all that have given help.... My wife and I went to a hardware store here in town.... she wanted a bag of mix for her flowers... well the store had a small section of loading stuff... didn't have much of anything on the shelve.... except there was a box of 60 gr XTP 32 cal and a box of 85 gr XTP 32 cal. I got them both! Now... if you have a proven load for these weight bullets, lay it on me. 

Thanks again to all

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I once ordered 85gr Hornady XTP by mistake, just loaded them to the same OAL and reduced the charge some. Worked perfect in my 1903 Colt, but I doubt they go fast enough to expand.

Do you remember what powder and charge you ended up using?

I acually use the 100 grain lead ones that are supposed to go in 32 mag's.  I use just enough 231 to operate the slide. Can' give you the load because all of my reloading stuff is packed for my move out west, but it is very light. I had to put a plug in the bottom of the smallest lee dipper to make it smaller. I use them in 3 1903 colt pocket pistols and the feed fine.

https://hunters-supply.com/313-cal-p-1319.html

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-32-acp-75-gr-fp-per-500.html   

Colt 1903 loaded with 2.2 gr Red Dot, Winchester small pistol primers, cast lead Hunter Supply 76 gr FP sized to .313, OAL .94

A bit more digging around and I found a article in "Handloading" Oct, 2014 by John Barsness. The Article is "The Classic .32 ACP". It features the Beretta Tomcat, the gun I just purchased to replace the diminutive Seecamp 32 ACP which was just much too difficult for me to shoot and use. Here are the loads he had in case you might want to jot them down for future reference. 

These loads averaged 800fps 

Hornady 00 Buck 53gn---------------Unique 3.0 gn

Speer Gold Dot  60 gn--------------Bullseye 2.5 gn, Power Pistol 3.5 gn, Green Dot 2.4 gn, Unique 3.2 gn

Hornady XTP 60 gn-----------------Bullseye 2.5 gn, Power pistol 3.5 gn, Green Dot 2.4 gn, Unique 3.2 gn

These loads averaged 525 fps

Remington FMJ 71 gn---------------Unique 2.7 gn, Acc. No5 3.5 gn

Hornaday XTP 85 gn ---------------Unique 2.5 gn, Acc. No 5 2.4 gn.

All groups 3" or less at 7 yds out of 2.4" barrel

Factory Ammo used for reference was Speer Gold Dot 60 gn-------Powder ???, 827 fps, 2.26" @ 7 yds 

I have located a bag of 1000 Berry's 71 gn RN fully plated. $200. OUCH! I called Berry's. They have not produced ANY 32 pistol bullets in over a year, and said it would be at least 1 1/2 yrs before they even considered making them again, probably longer than that. Reason was that they are in full production trying to keep up with the demand for 9mm bullets. The guy said that they can't even come close to keeping up with demand. So... because of this I am actually considering paying the over the top price for the bag of 1000 that I have found. 

I know at least 2 other people that have a 32 ACP and can't find any Ammo... I put my Seecamp on consignment at the Local Turner's Outdoor World, but they have Zero 32 ACP ammo in any of their stores. Might be easier to sell if I took one of my boxes of Factory Ammo and included it with the gun.

One further note. I ask Hornaday for a 32 ACP load using their Hornaday XTP 85 gn bullet. They said they had none because that bullet was NOT designed to be used in the 32 ACP cartridge. It was designed to be used in the 32 HR mag. O-Well... I can use them in my Wham O SlingShot if decide to not try them. 

I use cast bullets as they will perform better than JHP's.  The JHP's most of the time will not open.  I hand load and carry a round that is a little hotter than Buffalo Bullets round.  Have used it out of a Colt 1903, on a yote and he didn't ask for a second round.  Between the shoulders hiting the spine and out the jaw.

Watch loading hot loads into Tomcat or Kel Tek.  You can crack frames

22 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just curious.

..........Widder

I have loaded the 80 gr bear creek with out a problem, my old loading book  has a 77 gr .312 lead in it and it says you should not go over .312  lead or .311 jacketed because grove diameter by some  makers can be as small as .309? The book shows Bullseye Starting load 1.5 grs 685 fps Max 2.0 grs 830 fps I loaded 1.6 grs and it was a good load, and it shows WW 231 Starting load 1.5 grs 620 fps, Max load 2.5 grs 888 fps I loaded 1.8 grs And Red Dot start load 1.5 grs 695 fps  max is 2.0 grs 940 fps I loaded 1.6 grs work about the same as Bullseye These were all 80 gr lead B.C. Bullets  These are from a 1977 book

1 hour ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I have loaded the 80 gr bear creek with out a problem, my old loading book  has a 77 gr .312 lead in it and it says you should not go over .312  lead or .311 jacketed because grove diameter by some  makers can be as small as .309? The book shows Bullseye Starting load 1.5 grs 685 fps Max 2.0 grs 830 fps I loaded 1.6 grs and it was a good load, and it shows WW 231 Starting load 1.5 grs 620 fps, Max load 2.5 grs 888 fps I loaded 1.8 grs And Red Dot start load 1.5 grs 695 fps  max is 2.0 grs 940 fps I loaded 1.6 grs work about the same as Bullseye These were all 80 gr lead B.C. Bullets  These are from a 1977 book

The book says Those Max loads were done in a special pressure test barrel  the max. I found some chronograph numbers I did this is a 3 in. Mauser 80 gr. B.C. bullet 1.5 grs Red Dot 628 fps and same bullet 1.8 grs Unique 658 fps, That Unique load is in the same book I forgot to include, that is the starting load in the book they have it at 625 fps so what I got was very close Max load is 2.6 860 fps. Like I said max loads were done in a special test barrel!!!

Loaded the Hornaday XTP 60 gn JHP on top of 2.5 gn of Bullseye. Headed for the range and did my Qualifying to add the Beretta Tomcat to my CCW. The rounds cycled every time and grouped very well out to 10 yds. Much better performance than either the Magtech or the PMC factory ammo that I had. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I ordered some of these. Pee Wee sent me some good info that had some data using these bullets. Not recommended as a steady diet for the Tomcat, but might be a good drop in "First Shot" round. 

13 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I put my Seecamp on consignment at the Local Turner's Outdoor World, but they have Zero 32 ACP ammo in any of their stores. Might be easier to sell if I took one of my boxes of Factory Ammo and included it with the gun.

I wish it was at a Turner’s in So Cal. I’ve wanted one of the Seecamps for ages. 

All the Turners are connected and exchange guns. The Beretta I bought was at the Desert Hot Springs store. The gun is at the Fresno store. I think they have to hold it for 30 days before they can sell it. 

Archived