SASS Wire Forum

In Canadian French

Alpo

Does homme only mean man, or could it also mean boy?

Trying to decide if DiDi is saying "small man" (she is about 6 inches taller than Aaron, and at least 50 pounds heavier - mostly muscle) or if she is saying "little boy".

1614081356-ptc20210223hr~2.png

On 2/23/2021 at 8:22 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Languages do not translate strictly literally.  Thus the answer is “maybe”.

if you try to strictly translate every single word you’ll be asking dumb questions forever.  The local idioms are what they are.

Marshal Mo Hare is essentially correct.  Trust me on this one.

Canadian French is not Parisian French, it's bastardized French and with different dialects depending where in Quebec that you live plus a lot of slang with a few English words thrown in as there is no French equivalent such as, teenager or weekend.  I knew one Corporal in the Air Force that didn't speak English when he joined up.   He said that when he was stationed at Metz, France, the locals thought he was an American trying to speak French. 

15 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... is Canadian French anything like American English ?   :huh:

Great question. But which one? The one spoken in the New England colonies? Deep South version? Mid west versions, Western states lingo?

Then there are further divisions between the states in those sections. And then we get into some of the city groups.  Take your pick Wallaby. 

As an example, while in college in Texas, I had to translate for a guy from Noo Joisey and a waitress from South Texas. It was pretty fun!

4 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Great question. But which one? The one spoken in the New England colonies? Deep South version? Mid west versions, Western states lingo?

Then there are further divisions between the states in those sections. And then we get into some of the city groups.  Take your pick Wallaby. 

........ oh, c'mon; ......... now you're talking dialects ......   

:huh:

15 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

As an example, while in college in Texas, I had to translate for a guy from Noo Joisey and a waitress from South Texas. It was pretty fun!

I always wanted to watch two people from these areas try to converse.  I bet it was hilarious.

Duffield

While undergoing radar school in Keesler AFB in 1964, there were two Vietnamese students in my class.  One was from the Saigon area and was about 5 foot one inch and the other one was a Montagnard, about 6 foot tall.  I once asked them how could I tell if someone was from South or North Vietnam.  The short guy answered, you guessed it: "By his accent".  

Archived