SASS Wire Forum

Glock question

Alpo

15 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Is there a new category for Wild Bunch Glock shooters? :rolleyes:  Far as I'm concerned, if it weren't invented by JMB, it ain't a gun! :P

I guess you gotta dump those Colts, Smith & Wessons and Rugers then. :P

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think it’s funny, there seems to be no middle ground with their ergonomics. People either like them or they hate them. 
Personally, they work for me. I had to work hard to figure out what worked for me to shoot a 1911 accurately. I was all over the place with them. 

I have tried a number of different autoloaders. I find bad that Glocks work for me and I recently discovered that CZ-75’s also work for me. 

I am a revolver guy though. I will take a revolver over most anything semiauto. Revolvers and Glocks. That’s what I like. 

Lots of people like to hold and throw bricks. Others prefer a nice round ball. Who’s opinion is correct? The only thing that is irrefutable about flicks is that they are god awful ugly 

On 2/23/2021 at 1:00 PM, Alpo said:

I'm watching this cop show. The cop is threatening the suspect. Pointing his gun at him. "Tell me or I will shoot you." Then to make his point and to show how serious he is he racks the slide (because, as we all know, cops never carry a gun with a round in the chamber).

Later he tells another cop, "I wasn't going to shoot him, my gun wasn't loaded".

But when he racked the slide, you could see the magazine base plate in the pistol grip. And if the magazine was not loaded, it should have locked back.

Now, if I were to take my 45 caliber 1911, and put a 9 mm magazine up the butt, it would lock in place. But if you pull the slide back, it would not lock back. The little teat on a 45 slide stop is not long enough to reach the follower on a 9 mm magazine. So if I wished to play out that little scene, using my 1911, I would just stick a 9 mm or a 22 magazine up the butt. The gun would look loaded, and the slide would not lock back when I racked it.

The cop in the show had a Glock. I know very little about Glocks. I do not know if you could do with a Glock what I know you could do with a 1911.

So I asked.

Could be a modified Hollywierd gun. Glock side stops are a PITA, easier to lower the mag and pull back the slide to release it. The slide stops are itty bitty and hard to push down. At least on both of mine. My wife's Shield EZ is even worse.

JHC

Making it work on the show should be simple. Take the internals out of the magazine. No spring, no follower, nothing to push up on the slide stop, slide does not lock back.

I was attempting to figure out if it would be possible in real life.

37 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Could be a modified Hollywierd gun. Glock side stops are a PITA, easier to lower the mag and pull back the slide to release it. The slide stops are itty bitty and hard to push down. At least on both of mine. My wife's Shield EZ is even worse.

JHC

You can get extended slide releases that don’t stick out too much at all and make it easier to release the slide. I normally just pull the slide back and release it instead of using the slide release. 

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can get extended slide releases that don’t stick out too much at all and make it easier to release the slide. I normally just pull the slide back and release it instead of using the slide release. 

X2 on Glock extended slide release. 

Especially if you have gloves on or wet hands.

OLG 

16 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

still butt UGLY ,  BUT , will get the job done , then clean up in the dish water 

COMBAT TUPPERWARE 

Yep! Ya can’t do that with 1911’s and other guns. Oh, and Tupperware has 2 P’s. Fixed it for ya. ;)

I think I'll open a refugee camp for old, unwanted Glocks. I'll call it U.G.H. (Unwanted Glock Haven). Just send me your ugly, unwanted Glock and I will provide it with love, food and shelter.

I like my 1911's and Glocks. 

I just checked and my .45 1911 locks back on an empty 9mm mag.   

So, in real life you want to intimidate a bad guy by racking the slide on your glock without chambering a round?  

In case no one’s told you yet; tv show and movie script writers get firearm info wrong all the time.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, DeaconKC said:

I carried a Glock 23 on duty for 17 years, it was scraped and scarred up but it had only one FTF [on the range thankfully] in over 6,000 rounds. When I retired I stuck a note in the box for whatever company gets them on trade in to call me. I'm gonna bring my old sidekick home.

Your former employer doesn’t allow buying your sidearm upon retirement?  I hope the surplus gun company gets hold of you.

@WOLFYNope, Illinois Department of Corrections. They are going to convert eventually from the 23 to the 19 for less recoil and cheaper ammo. They will also be dropping the S&W 64s then.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Early when Glocks came here, I was at an NRA convention and asked the Glock rep about the puny releases. I don’t like them either. 

He so they were puny by design to encourage the user to pull and release the slide. This theoretically put more energy into the compressed recoil spring so it could close firmly in spite of sand and mud. 

I still don’t like the puny release, but it does make sense. 

On 2/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Lots of people like to hold and throw bricks. Others prefer a nice round ball. Who’s opinion is correct? The only thing that is irrefutable about flicks is that they are god awful ugly 

Half a brick throws better.  Whole bricks are too awkward. :P

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Early when Glocks came here, I was at an NRA convention and asked the Glock rep about the puny releases. I don’t like them either. 

He so they were puny by design to encourage the user to pull and release the slide. This theoretically put more energy into the compressed recoil spring so it could close firmly in spite of sand and mud. 

I own a couple glocks, always treated the lever like a slide “catch” rather than a slide release.  Same goes for my other semi autos (Sigs & Colts).  Since the lever positions vary I pretty much feed them all by pulling the slide.

Oh, that’s too bad @DeaconKC.  I like that compact size Glock the best.

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

When I bought my first Glock 34 I shot IDPA with a bunch of police officers in South Carolina. They told me about using the slide stop vs pulling the slide back to release the slide. I also got to shoot with a Glock rep and he said the same thing. I have gotten so used to doing it that way it’s second nature now. 

I have a new edition Glock 19, Canadian, (Slightly longer barrel to make it RESTRICTED as opposed to PROHIBITED in Canada and allow importation)

I had a hand in the Glock selection for our amalgamated area Police forces and tried quite a few different manufacturers offerings before we selected the Glocks as standard issue.

I like it, even though our magazines are limited to 10.

IMG_2395.JPG

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have a new edition Glock 19, Canadian, (Slightly longer barrel to make it RESTRICTED as opposed to PROHIBITED in Canada and allow importation)

I had a hand in the Glock selection for our amalgamated area Police forces and tried quite a few different manufacturers offerings before we selected the Glocks as standard issue.

I like it, even though our magazines are limited to 10.

IMG_2395.JPG

Even law enforcement is limited to 10?

No, only the civilian market.

Handgun magazines over 10 rounds are PROHIBITED for legal civilian use throughout Canada, (as is CCW, for all intents and purposes).

If you are drug dealer, gangster or terrorist however, you're good to go.

Archived