SASS Wire Forum

Glock question

Alpo

Will a 9 mm Glock magazine snap into a 45 Glock?

If not will a 9 mm magazine lock into a 40 caliber Glock?

Not work - just (walk) LOCK into place. I can pick up my 45 caliber 1911 and take a 9 mm 1911 magazine and snap it in - no problem. Can you do that with Glocks?

29 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

.45 Glock mag in a 9mm Glock?  No

.40 Glock (G23) in a 9mm Glock (G19)?  Maybe.  Haven't tried that one.

You read my question wrong. Not can you put a 45 mag in a 9 mm, or a 40 mag in a 9 mm. Can you put a 9 mm mag in a 45, or a 9 mm mag in a 40?

No standard magazine by Glock for the 45 Auto cartridge will lock into the magwell of any 9mm caliber Glock pistol.  The only one I can think of that might fit into some of the magwells is the Glock 36, which is a single stack 45 Auto gun.

Okay, double stack 9 and 40 mags will fit each other in Glocks.

You can use a 9mm magazine in the equivalent 40 cal Glock and vice versa.  People have gotten 9mm barrels and magazines to convert 40cal glocks in the past.  

The only 45 that might fit the other caliber magazines woukd likely be the 45 GAP.

Glock double-stack 9mm and 40S&W magazines are practically identical except for (maybe) the feed lips.

Yes, you can put a loaded .40S&W magazine in a 9mm and you will not know the difference until you drop the slide.

Don't ask me how I know...

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

You read my question wrong. Not can you put a 45 mag in a 9 mm, or a 40 mag in a 9 mm. Can you put a 9 mm mag in a 45, or a 9 mm mag in a 40?

Uh, no.  I didn't read you question wrong.  You realized you didn't write what you intended, and then edited you original post.

Alpo, also in the Glock world the decimal point plays a big part in identification.
Yes, the models are confusing. Kind of like S&W’s method only Glick took it to a new level. 

A Glock 40 is a 10mm firing pistol.
A Glock .40 could be a Glock 22, 23, 27, or 35. 

A Glock 45 is a 9mm firing pistol. 

A Glock .45 could be a Glock 21, 30, 36 or 41.
Also we have the Glocks chambered in the .45 GAP which could be the Glock 37, 38 or 39.

The above can be found here under “Variants”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

PS: The Glock numbering system came about by Gaston Glock numbering his guns after the sequential numbering of his patents. The first Glock, the Glock 17 was his 17th patent, which coincidentally holds 17 rounds of 9mm ammo. 

5 hours ago, WOLFY said:

You can use a 9mm magazine in the equivalent 40 cal Glock and vice versa.  People have gotten 9mm barrels and magazines to convert 40cal glocks in the past.  

The only 45 that might fit the other caliber magazines woukd likely be the 45 GAP.

10mm is on the same frame, so it ought to interchange, too.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

10mm is on the same frame, so it ought to interchange, too.

10mm Glocks are large frame, as are 45 ACP.  Not the same as any 9mm Glock.

And just to explain more fully:

The Glock 44 is in 22. The Glock 22 is in 40. The Glock 40 is in 10 like the 20. There is no Glock 10, but there is a Glock in 9 aka the 17 and 19 and 26 and 43, not including the 48 - which came out before the 44 - and the 43X, which are the same except for the ways in which they’re different. Actually they’re like the 45, which is a 9, which is the same as a 19x which is actually more like the 17 than the 19. Strangely enough the 45 came before the 44, but 45 came before 9, but not 44, so maybe that’s the logic. If you wanted a 45, you need a 36, a 41, a 30, a 21, or a 21SF, or a 30S, or a 30SF. Of course if you want Glock’s 45 you need a 37, 38 or 39. The 38 isn’t a 38, there are other 38’s. If you want a Glock, definitely get the 19 and maybe a 22 to practice with - not the 40 22, but the 44 22. The 22 won’t help you to practice with your 9 as much as a 23, which is closer to the 19. Unless your goal is competition, in which case you should have been considering a 35 or 17L or 24 or 41 or 34 which are 40 9 40 45 9 respectively. The 31 32 and 33 are actually 357’s but not the 38 357’s. They’re 357’s that are more like 9s but not like the 380 is like 9’s. If you wanted that you need a 42. And nobody likes a 42, you’re better off with a 9. And therefore try a 44 because everyone loves to work on their 9 with a 22.

Edit: Glock if you read this I want a 44 but not a 22, that is I don’t want a 22 at all but I want a 44 because I’m already into the 22 and I’d prefer a 44 to a 22. Also please make a 50 that is a 17 22 or a 22 22 and make a 49 that is a 50. Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

OK, somebody's gotta ask. Why would you want to?

JHC :blink:

I'm watching this cop show. The cop is threatening the suspect. Pointing his gun at him. "Tell me or I will shoot you." Then to make his point and to show how serious he is he racks the slide (because, as we all know, cops never carry a gun with a round in the chamber).

Later he tells another cop, "I wasn't going to shoot him, my gun wasn't loaded".

But when he racked the slide, you could see the magazine base plate in the pistol grip. And if the magazine was not loaded, it should have locked back.

Now, if I were to take my 45 caliber 1911, and put a 9 mm magazine up the butt, it would lock in place. But if you pull the slide back, it would not lock back. The little teat on a 45 slide stop is not long enough to reach the follower on a 9 mm magazine. So if I wished to play out that little scene, using my 1911, I would just stick a 9 mm or a 22 magazine up the butt. The gun would look loaded, and the slide would not lock back when I racked it.

The cop in the show had a Glock. I know very little about Glocks. I do not know if you could do with a Glock what I know you could do with a 1911.

So I asked.

37 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

OK, somebody's gotta ask. Why would you want to?

JHC :blink:

I was going to ask a similar question. Why would you want to..........own a Glock? 

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I was going to ask a similar question. Why would you want to..........own a Glock? 

Because they support law Enforcement 100% Officer Kuzak shoots for team Glock. He survived an ambush and was shot 5 times. He’s a local Pittsburgh hero.

AD551BCD-6685-47E4-9C4C-F15A1A4E79F8.jpeg

Sidebar: I was at an action pistol match where one shooter had a Glock.  He snatched his cell phone off his belt and tried a reload.  I wish I had a video.  It was most entertaining.

I carried a Glock 23 on duty for 17 years, it was scraped and scarred up but it had only one FTF [on the range thankfully] in over 6,000 rounds. When I retired I stuck a note in the box for whatever company gets them on trade in to call me. I'm gonna bring my old sidekick home.

I am a Glockaholic that has reduced my inventory down to three of them. However my Glock Model 20, which is a 10mm, has a 6" 10mm aftermarket barrel, a Sig .357 barrel and a .40 S&W barrel. All use the same magazine and work fine. To confuse things even more, I have a Glock Model 21, which has a frame identical to the Model 20 and shoots .45 ACP. I can take the slide assembly off the Model 21 and use it on the Model 20, provided I use the Model 21 .45 ACP magazines. In other words, I have a Glock that shoots 10mm, .357 Sig, .40S&W, and .45 ACP, just not at the same time. One gun frame = four calibers. BTW - I compete in ASI and IDPA with a Glock 22, which is a .40 S&W with a red dot sight. Works very well. Only problem is matches have been mainly cancelled due to the Kung Flu. 

One other observation on Glocks is that internal parts are mainly interchangeable between models. For about $75 one can get all the internal spares for all of their models. They are fun to own if you like to tinker. They also are very reliable and they are ugly, so banging them around does not cause user despair. 

13 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

recycleglockdog.jpg.cb08315ec0b6a5776361088e2a471487.jpg

And I will bet you $100 that if you sent that frame to Glock, they would replace it for free. 

Of course people that hate Glocks usually don’t own Glocks so I am pretty safe in making that bet with you Smuteye John. ;) Or, give your Glock to a big dog and let’s prove me wrong. :D

26 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And I will bet you $100 that if you sent that frame to Glock, they would replace it for free. 

Of course people that hate Glocks usually don’t own Glocks so I am pretty safe in making that bet with you Smuteye John. ;) Or, give your Glock to a big dog and let’s prove me wrong. :D

Hater's gonna hate.

When you can't feel good about your own decisions, ridicule someone elses.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You're right, I don't own one.  I've shot at least one Gluck in every caliber available except .380 and .357Sig over the years and they are at least consistent in one aspect.

Their ergonomics suck. 

Every time I pick one up, it's pointed in a new and different direction.  That eliminates them for concealed carry and they aren't accurate enough to be range toys.

I also don't trust any of those 'lowest common denominator' designs (you know- the ones with single action trigger pull weights, but no safety, so there's minimal training or effort needed to operate one).  Guns with light trigger pulls need some sort of safety.  Double actions with a traditional, heavier weight- 8 pounds is considered a light DA trigger pull weight- rely on that increased resistance to keep it safe.  That little tit in the middle of a Gluck trigger doesn't qualify as a safety.  Anything that can get more than half way across the trigger face is gonna come into contact with it and disable it.

Gluck's factory trigger pull weight is 5.5 pounds, right?  I've got a bone stock Colt Combat Commander with the same trigger pull weight. 

What would be the difference between me carrying a Series 80 1911 after tying the grip safety down and leaving the thumb safety off or me carrying a Gluck? 

One is suggested, condoned and even expected.  The other is reckless, irresponsible and dangerous.

Answer: Trigger stroke length.  Both are relying on internal safeties with identical pull weights.

Those are the legitimate reasons for my not owning one.

My biggest problem with Glucks is the fanbois that think that the world rotates because St Gaston the Divine made it so.  They are the ones that can't comprehend that some guns just don't fit some people's hands- yet they keep harping and picking and picking at the point because there isn't anything better than Austrian-designed plastic.

4 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Their ergonomics suck. 

I think it’s funny, there seems to be no middle ground with their ergonomics. People either like them or they hate them. 
Personally, they work for me. I had to work hard to figure out what worked for me to shoot a 1911 accurately. I was all over the place with them. 

I have tried a number of different autoloaders. I find bad that Glocks work for me and I recently discovered that CZ-75’s also work for me. 

I am a revolver guy though. I will take a revolver over most anything semiauto. Revolvers and Glocks. That’s what I like. 

Returning to Alpo’s question, I know nothing about Glocks.  But some CZ 9 mm and .40 caliber double stack magazines are interchangeable.  That is, one magazine can be used for both calibers. The advantage would be increased flexibility if you own CZs in those calibers.

So the question is not outlandish.

47 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Every time I pick one up, it's pointed in a new and different direction. 

Yep, that is DEFINITELY a problem with the gun.

Something like that can't have anything to do with the operator.

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Is there a new category for Wild Bunch Glock shooters? :rolleyes:  Far as I'm concerned, if it weren't invented by JMB, it ain't a gun! :P

b56FvuF.jpg

Archived