SASS Wire Forum

Timing is everything with used guns

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

About a week ago, I came across an Uberti 66 in .22LR AND an Uberti 73 in .22LR.   The 73 was used in good condition, and the 66, which uses the same frame as the full sized Henry, was new old stock.   Both were under a thousand, in the 900+ range.   I was seriously considering getting one, or both, of them.

Fast foward to today, when I have the money.

They are both gone.  :(

Oh well.   Better luck next time, I guess.  :)

Timing does matter.

I wanted a Mossberg JM 930 Pro for 3-gun, it would be a serious upgrade to my Maverick 88!

Did not have the gold, then CoViD happened and none were to be found. Well, GunBroker had them but I just am not going to pay the amounts they were going for.

By accident, I learned a 940 had come out. $400 over MSRP for the few examples on GunBroker, $700 over the street price before CoViD. Not gonna do it. But now I wanted a 940 instead of a 930.

Was at a local store about a month ago, was talking to the pusher -- I mean sales rep -- and we talked about my desires and the devastation in available arms. He handed me a trade-in Remington Versa... Nice, but the trigger was rough (factory, but not what I wanted for competition), short magazine tube, some other details making it not a big plus, so I handed it back. He then handed me a Versa Pro Competition shotgun... Looked it over, looked at the price, and said "get the paperwork."

The model is "discontinued" due to the Remington bankruptcy, this is a nice shotgun. I'm sure it will be back in production soon. Came with a bunch of goodies including magazine extension. The price was fair for a used firearm before CoViD, more than fair that day.

Was in the store a short time later, the one I rejected was also gone.

Timing. You will find the right guns at the right price, just keep looking. You might find the gun you were not even looking for.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Timing. You will find the right guns at the right price, just keep looking. You might find the gun you were not even looking for.

You might find the gun you were not even looking for.

That is the problem I have been having over and over.

A couple weeks ago I saw an on-line estate auction with a few firearms.  One was a Pedersoli Sharps in 40-65.  It had over 40 bids with 4 days to go, and current bid was $700.  I figured it would go for around $1200 so I didn't pay much attention.

It eventually sold for $725!

Of course, if I got into a bidding war it may have gone higher than I could afford anyway.

Archived