SASS Wire Forum

45 cowboy special

capt. dealing lead

13 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I've heard in the Baptist Category, someone else pays your dues, and you don't loose your membership, even if you die or try to shoot in some other category, or IDPA!

Bless your heart.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, Derringer Dan said:

Hope I’m not stirring the pot. Can I run the 45 special in an 1873 rifle? I saw a special lifter for the cartridge, but is it necessary? If the lifter is necessary, can it be swapped out at a later time to go back to the 45 Colt and does a short stroke kit effect any of this? Thanks in advance :FlagAm:

I run the C.45 Spl in two rifles, a 66 and a 73.  Yes a special lifter is necessary.  It was available through the Smith Shop.  I understand it is still being made, there is another thread around here about the Smith Shop being sold.  Yes you can convert back if you save your OEM lifter.  I have not a timing issue, but is is not difficult.  Nothing special about installing the lifter.  There are no other modifications to the gun.  You just have to remember to take a push device to the loading table.  Use the push device (I use an antler tip that is squared off on the tip) to make sure the last round loaded is held up in the magazine, or else there is strong possibility of a jam when trying to lever the first round into the chamber.

54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I run the C.45 Spl in two rifles, a 66 and a 73.  Yes a special lifter is necessary.  It was available through the Smith Shop.  I understand it is still being made, there is another thread around here about the Smith Shop being sold.  Yes you can convert back if you save your OEM lifter.  I have not a timing issue, but is is not difficult.  Nothing special about installing the lifter.  There are no other modifications to the gun.  You just have to remember to take a push device to the loading table.  Use the push device (I use an antler tip that is squared off on the tip) to make sure the last round loaded is held up in the magazine, or else there is strong possibility of a jam when trying to lever the first round into the chamber.

Gotcha. Thanks Sarge!! I’m steadily learning about these, new to me, firearms. I will be tracking down two of the lifters, one as an installed part and the second as an oh s*#t spare. Many thanks!!

9 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Darringer Dan

Running the Cowboy 45 Special in handguns is no problem.  Running C45S in Ruger 45ACP cylinders can be a problem due to Ruger cylinders having undersize throats.  Running C45S in Uberti or Pietta 45ACP cylinders is not a problem either.  The BARNSTORMER bullet for Shootin Fox is superb in handguns.  The BARNSTORMER bullet will not run reliably in Rifles.

To run C45S cartridges in rifles, requires RNFP bullets and a Modified Carrier Block for Toggle Link Rifles.  Carrier was available from "The Smith Shop" which is now gone but is still available from Bill English (contact information on another thread).  Marlin Rifles can also be modified to run the C45S, same same the requirement for RNFP bullets.

Toggle Link rifles DO NOT require a change in timing.  Regardless whether OEM lever throw or Short Stroke.  The modified carrier bock can be swapped out at any time for an OEM carrier block, with NO change in timing.  

Thanks Colorado. It’s making a lot  more sense the more it is explained. I still have a ways to go and I appreciate the help!!

6 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I've heard in the Baptist Category, someone else pays your dues, and you don't loose your membership, even if you die or try to shoot in some other category, or IDPA!

IDPA= I Don’t Practice Anymore      Ooooh, did I just say that  :blink:

Archived