SASS Wire Forum

45 cowboy special

capt. dealing lead

It works in the  45 Colt chamber.  Same process as shooting 38 special in a 357  cylinder.  The 45 CS is a 45 ACP length cartridge case with a rim exactly the same as a 45 Colt or Schofield case.

36 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've shot them in Ruger NMV with 45 ACP cylinders but the chambers/throats are tight so the C45S had to be loaded like an ACP round.

Interesting. Do you mean with a tapered crimp?

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. Do you mean with a tapered crimp?

Used taper crimp or Lee 45ACP FCD, I can't remember.  451 bullets with no "driving band" ahead of the case mouth.  The tight Ruger cylinder wouldn't tolerate a roll crimp or larger diameter bullets.   I could have had the chambers recut and throats upended up but I fixed the problem by trading them off.  

The problem with Ruger, undersized cylinder throats.  Moat Rugers  (regardless of caliber) suffer undersized throats.  Other manufacturers .45 ACP cylinders run Cowboy 45 Special superbly.  As has been mentioned, C45S cases run just fine in any .45 Chamber.

• 1 month later...

Hope I’m not stirring the pot. Can I run the 45 special in an 1873 rifle? I saw a special lifter for the cartridge, but is it necessary? If the lifter is necessary, can it be swapped out at a later time to go back to the 45 Colt and does a short stroke kit effect any of this? Thanks in advance :FlagAm:

59 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The 45 Special is a Baptist Category approved round. ^_^

Hey Birdgun, would you have any insight to the above questions? I’m in the dark about most of it. Thanks un advance...

4 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

And if you want to go lighter, I make and sell the 130 grain Barnstormer. 130 gr, hollow base , .452 . Now high tech powder coated.

3CDFCC4C-CC46-4BD8-A8A1-52903C79AD6A.jpeg

Sorry for the silly questions. Can these be loaded into a long case or are they for the special? I am learning about the different variations and simply don’t know. Also have a bunch of questions regarding the reworking of the 1873 rifle to run the specials if you have any insight on that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

You need a special carrier to shoot the Cowboy Specials in a 73 chambered for 45 colt. AFAIK the rifle will require some changes to the timing when you change carriers. To go back to 45 colt you would need to re-time the rifle again. 

Timing of toggle link rifles is as much art as it is science.

I have loaded them in 45 colt cases, but functioning in a rifle is questionable. cOAL being the problem. Several shooters here use an 1873 with the modified carriers with the 45cs cases with success. I use them in my revolvers with no issues. The hollow base expands like a minnie ball and helps to reduce blowback from reduced loads. 

I shoot the Cowboy .45 Special in my Ruger Old Army .45 conversion cylinders.

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You need a special carrier to shoot the Cowboy Specials in a 73 chambered for 45 colt. AFAIK the rifle will require some changes to the timing when you change carriers. To go back to 45 colt you would need to re-time the rifle again. 

Timing of toggle link rifles is as much art as it is science.

Thanks Partner. It’s starting to make a bit more sense. 

23 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I have loaded them in 45 colt cases, but functioning in a rifle is questionable. cOAL being the problem. Several shooters here use an 1873 with the modified carriers with the 45cs cases with success. I use them in my revolvers with no issues. The hollow base expands like a minnie ball and helps to reduce blowback from reduced loads. 

This is what I am figuring out. Thanks for the help, and I like the idea of the hollow base projectile. One more question, by shooting the 45cs, does that change the division of competition?

20 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I shoot the Cowboy .45 Special in my Ruger Old Army .45 conversion cylinders.

Do you also  use this cartridge in your rifle? Thanks 

27 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Do you also  use this cartridge in your rifle? Thanks 

No.

1 hour ago, Derringer Dan said:

Hey Birdgun, would you have any insight to the above questions? I’m in the dark about most of it. Thanks un advance...

Dan, I am sorry.  No, I have no insight.  I shoot the 45 Colt in my pistols and rifles.

Another insight I do have.  Ain't nothing against you, but here in the Saloon, questions, opinions, and facts are all subject to misdirects, out and out lies, and rascal behavior.  

Now on the SASS Wire, you just might get a serious answer....sometimes.

13 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Dan, I am sorry.  No, I have no insight.  I shoot the 45 Colt in my pistols and rifles.

Another insight I do have.  Ain't nothing against you, but here in the Saloon, questions, opinions, and facts are all subject to misdirects, out and out lies, and rascal behavior.  

Now on the SASS Wire, you just might get a serious answer....sometimes.

Ha! Thanks for that bit of insight!! I DO get the difference now... ^_^

2 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Ha! Thanks for that bit of insight!! I DO get the difference now... ^_^

At the CAS matches it's the same.  Not near the seriousness of other shooting sports, i.e. IDPA.  It's one of the aspects of SASS that I love.  I mean, just how serious can you get with all the silly names and costumes we have on the range.  Before I got into SASS, I was worried I might look so silly.  But then I found it's the silliness that I love.  I'm not the only one out here being silly, but everybody here is being silly right along with me---or me with them.  Now, that doesn't mean these CAS folks aren't helpful.  No, Sir.  No better kindness, helpfulness, and understanding than CAS folks. 

Oh.  And see how we can take the subject of a thread and change it to something completely off topic!  ;)^_^

The Baptist Category exists..........but only in two venues. Birdgun’s mind and the Twilight Zone. :lol:

As it was "explained" to me, many years ago: the two (hopefully different) genders being in close proximity (such as slow dancing), may cause some ideas to form (as if the ideas would not form if you weren't dancing). 

They are also against drinking any alcoholic beverages, or any fooling around outside of marriage....again, because it might lead to dancing!!!

He He.

It is interesting how there are so many "rules" in the different churches, that may, or may not, have any basis in Biblical instruction, or any bearing on your salvation. 

But...it seems "tradition" holds a big sway over it, and that is one reason we have so many different denominations. 

For instance the Baptists will totally immerse you, when you are baptized...whereas the Methodists will only sneeze on you. 

Go figure.

20 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

The Baptists don't want you to shoot certain cartridges.  

It might lead to dancing!!!

I thought that was due to hot brass down the shirt... so the baptists probably prefer you to use a volcanic rifle, no brass, no dancing...

Darringer Dan

Running the Cowboy 45 Special in handguns is no problem.  Running C45S in Ruger 45ACP cylinders can be a problem due to Ruger cylinders having undersize throats.  Running C45S in Uberti or Pietta 45ACP cylinders is not a problem either.  The BARNSTORMER bullet for Shootin Fox is superb in handguns.  The BARNSTORMER bullet will not run reliably in Rifles.

To run C45S cartridges in rifles, requires RNFP bullets and a Modified Carrier Block for Toggle Link Rifles.  Carrier was available from "The Smith Shop" which is now gone but is still available from Bill English (contact information on another thread).  Marlin Rifles can also be modified to run the C45S, same same the requirement for RNFP bullets.

Toggle Link rifles DO NOT require a change in timing.  Regardless whether OEM lever throw or Short Stroke.  The modified carrier bock can be swapped out at any time for an OEM carrier block, with NO change in timing.  

3 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

The Baptists don't want you to shoot certain cartridges.  

It might lead to dancing!!!

;) That is a total misinterpretation! :o  It's not the cartridges, bless your heart, its the crossdraw that leads to dancing! ^_^

3 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I thought that was due to hot brass down the shirt... so the baptists probably prefer you to use a volcanic rifle, no brass, no dancing...

Again, not true, bless your heart!!  Brass is perfectly acceptable in the Baptist Category.   We do ask that you keep the brass out of the casseroles that will be served during the post-match potluck. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Again, not true, bless your heart!!  Brass is perfectly acceptable in the Baptist Category.   We do ask that you keep the brass out of the casseroles that will be served during the post-match potluck. ^_^

I've heard in the Baptist Category, someone else pays your dues, and you don't loose your membership, even if you die or try to shoot in some other category, or IDPA!

Archived