SASS Wire Forum

Baikal bounty hunter 2 part help

Currituck Kid

Hey everyone, 

So my gunsmith has my wife's baikal coach gun. She has the version with the exposed cocking levers that look like hammers. 

Who ever owned it before did a real mess to it and he's fixing it all up. But we did the 1911 spring trick. I bought 1911 recoiled springs (11 pounds) but they arnt heavy enough to cause shells to go off just light primer strikes. 

Any advice? 

My thoughts are just buy a heavier recoup spring. 

But if someone has a better option can you point me in the right direction? 

Brownells and Midway both carry Wolff springs. They have a 1911 pack that has like 5 different poundage recoil springs. Get that and try them.

4 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Brownells and Midway both carry Wolff springs. They have a 1911 pack that has like 5 different poundage recoil springs. Get that and try them.

This past Fall both Brownells and Midway were out of the springs I wanted, so I bought them straight from Wolf Springs.

The standard spring weight for a 1911 recoil spring is 16 pounds.  That would be much stiffer than the 11 pounder that you first tried.  Bet that was what you should have used.

good luck, GJ

I've seen spacers used behind the 11# springs to add tension. Something like small washers the same diameter as the springs. Also a couple of coils from another spring added behind the 11# 1911 spring. 

Archived