SASS Wire Forum

Would you pay this much?

Alpo

Another board. Someone had a bunch of ammunition he could not identify, and knowledgeable people of the board finally identified it for him.

According to the history-minded people, after World War II the United States gave Yugoslavia a bunch of 30 caliber Browning machine guns, along with a considerable quantity of M2 ball. The Yugoslavs then set up and made their own ammunition after they had shot up all we gave them.

This was caliber 30 M2, made in 1957. Being made in Yugoslavia it was undoubtedly both berdan and corrosive.

Now that he knows what he has he is offering it for sale. $1.50 a round.

When I saw that, I thought, "I would not pay a buck and a half around for brand new american-made commercial softpoint hunting ammunition." Ain't No Way in the world I would pay that kind of money for non reloadable corrosive anything. If I had a 50 BMG I would not pay that kind of money for non-reloadable corrosive ammo.

Now I realize that I am both old and cheap, but would anybody pay a buck and a half for 65-year-old corrosive berdan military ball?

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Another board. Someone had a bunch of ammunition he could not identify, and knowledgeable people of the board finally identified it for him.

According to the history-minded people, after World War II the United States gave Yugoslavia a bunch of 30 caliber Browning machine guns, along with a considerable quantity of M2 ball. The Yugoslavs then set up and made their own ammunition after they had shot up all we gave them.

This was caliber 30 M2, made in 1957. Being made in Yugoslavia it was undoubtedly both berdan and corrosive.

When I saw that, I thought, "I would not pay a buck and a half around for brand new american-made commercial softpoint hunting ammunition." Ain't No Way in the world I would pay that kind of money for non reloadable corrosive anything. If I had a 50 BMG I would not pay that kind of money for non-reloadable corrosive ammo.

Now I realize that I am both old and cheap, but would anybody pay a buck and a half for 65-year-old corrosive berdan military ball?

It might not be corrosive, although I always treat foreign surplus ammo as corrosive, usually due to the primers

Link:  http://ammo.freetzi.com/yugoslav.htm

Fortunately I have enough Privi Partisan M2 Ball on hand so I can be picky, but right now $1.50 a round for 30-06 M2 Ball is cheap

Link: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-06/-rifle-150grains

I wouldn’t pay that, but someone probably will. 

I can’t say anything about people paying “way too much”. I bought 2000 S&B Small Pistol Primers for $200 a few months ago. 

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

...Now I realize that I am both old and cheap, but would anybody pay a buck and a half for 65-year-old corrosive berdan military ball?

I wouldn't say you were cheap.  I'd say you must have worked hard for your money and are careful and conservative on how you part with it.

7 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've seen people pay $4.00 per round for 30-06 lately, albeit not milsurp ammo.  

And I remember .30-06 commercial sporting rounds at  about a buck fifty for a box of twenty....and .22LR for forty nine cents a box of fifty.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Not only No, but HECK NO!

55 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And I remember .30-06 commercial sporting rounds at  about a buck fifty for a box of twenty....and .22LR for forty nine cents a box of fifty.

1977, my first tax paying job.  I would buy a brick of 22 (Winchester or Remington) at the local hardware store at least once a month, usually twice.  Price was just over $5.00 for a brick of 500 rounds, including tax.  

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

1977, my first tax paying job.  I would buy a brick of 22 (Winchester or Remington) at the local hardware store at least once a month, usually twice.  Price was just over $5.00 for a brick of 500 rounds, including tax.  

Compared with how much you were per hour.

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Compared with how much you were per hour.

$2.30 per hour was minimum wage then.  IIRC, after taxes I brought home about $75 a week.  

Prices were cheap where you were.

I got my first gun in November of '73. 22 rifle. Federal power flights were 58 cents a box. By '75 they had gone up to 63 cents.

They stayed at 63 cents for about the next 10 years, but they were 63 cents here in the Florida panhandle in '77.

12 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

$2.30 per hour was minimum wage then.  IIRC, after taxes I brought home about $75 a week.  

In 1971 I was making $1.70 a hour, 36 hours, 6 days a week as a Drug Store stock boy.  Gas was 27 cents a gallon.   Blew half of my money on my car and the other half on a waitress.  Same waitress is upstairs waiting for me to come to bed, she was a good investment!  

Archived