SASS Wire Forum

Nice explanation that I find myself always trying to explain to people who are new to knives, guns, outdoor gear, etc.........

Raylan

But don't explain this to a dedicated gear whore or brand name fanboy or they will become angry. I love high end custom firearms they are works of art and mechanical joys, but in the end like all things you pay $$$$$$ for marginal improvements after a certain point. 

I just watched a video about yeti vs Ozark trail coolers. Yeti was better but was it 170 bucks better? No but people like the brand

Side note: At first that guy’s accent or way of talking was a bit annoying and it reminded me of someone I knew in the Navy. The guy was from New York, I believe, and talked just like that. Nice guy, it was just his way of talking was a bit annoying. I wonder if they’re from the same neighborhood?

Anyway, this man makes some excellent points. 

4 hours ago, Raylan said:

But don't explain this to a dedicated gear whore or brand name fanboy or they will become angry.

Hate that term “fanboy”...when it’s used on me. :lol:

Guy behind the counter at my LGS called me a “fanboy” because I like Glocks. Not because I am a foaming at the mouth Glock nut, but just because my only autoloaders are Glocks. I told him if he called me a “boy” again I would box his ears. I also told him I was into revolvers. He said “What brand?” with a smarmy look on his face. That’s when it dawned on me he was one of those brand conscious mucktards. I told him I was a died in the wool Charter Arms guy. :lol: The look on his face was priceless. I laughed at him and said I was just messing with him and then told him I like Rugers and S&W’s. I don’t even own a Charter Arms, but I intend to buy one someday. 

Regarding knives; I never really encountered knife snobs until I lived in Oregon. Boy, can THOSE GUYS be obnoxious. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t even own a Charter Arms, but I intend to buy one someday. 

I bought a Charter Arms Bulldog, .44 spl. a couple of years ago, 'just because'. I liked the idea of a lightweight, easily carried snubby in the big bore. I enjoy that revolver, shoot it regularly in the mix at the range, and use it for pocket carry while backpacking.

I like nice things.  However, my nice may not be your nice.  A watch for example I wear a Timex It loses 2 seconds a month tells me the time with in known limits and the date its a nice watch.  My pocket knife its a Buck it cuts paper, tape, string and occasionally a jagged finger nail. I touch it to a stone every now and then its a nice knife.  I wear Pendleton shirts in the winter keeps me warm and I like the plaid I own others but its a nice shirt.  Point is my returns don't diminish I bought an item to do a job and it does the job to MY satisfaction.  How can you loose?      

Functionally, a Stoeger is just as good as a high grade Fausti.

The Stoeger is a very capable tool, the Fausti is a work of art that just happens to be a very capable tool.

There is no diminishing return involved here, the extra money is because the owner has disposable cash and enjoys art.

From the earliest times firearms, like swords, armor, and other weaponry before them, have combined function with art and high artisanship. 

Even more, a quality 'functional' gun, without 'extras', is a intriguingly well-crafted, intricate purely mechanical device.

I've known many people, ignorant of firearms, when they are shown and handle good guns, with good explanations, 'get it'.

Is that Squiggy,from Laverne & Shirley narrating the video? I wouldn't trust his review as he has never been outside of Milwaukee.

Archived