SASS Wire Forum

Crossdraw Holster Recommendation

General Ledger

It seems to me that this has been around before, but here goes anyway. I'm thinking about switching to a crossdraw  holster instead of the traditional left-hand draw (I'm right handed).  What factor(s) should I consider, i.e. cant, etc.? I appreciate your feedback.

Shoot a couple of matches using your regular holster as a crossdraw; just turn the revolver around in the holster.  
I do it often.  Make sure you like it before buying new leather.  

That 30-degree "as-worn" gets some people.  The holster almost always tilts more due to belt angle.  I try to use a crossdraw with a 15 degree cant, which on me becomes close to 30 as worn.  Also, some right hand straight drop holsters will work fine as a crossdraw.

Depending on how big a guy you are (how much belt is between the two holsters) you might find the crossdraw gun butt getting in the way of grabbing shotshells off of a belt slide on your gunbelt.  Separate shotshell belt may be required, if you don't already have one.

There was a discussion last year on this topic, perhaps you can find it.

Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick folks... a cross-draw holster doesn't HAVE to be worn like a backwards strongside.  It can be damned near at your belt buckle.  In fact that might be the preferred position for those that like a x-draw.  If you can reach that first left hand belt loop on such jeans as have belt loops, you can reach the butt of that left revolver.  I've worn a X-draw since 2 revolvers were required... and standing in a "Weaver" stance, (left hip forward), I don't really even have to pretend to be Elvis to keep my revolver inside the 170º on both drawing and re-holstering!

And yes, the key is the x-draw must be less than 30º from the vertical "as worn".    Remember, 30º is 2/3rds of a 45º!  Personally, I think the 30º rule is silly,  But, there's a lot of folks that apparently live to fear something... and if a greater than 30º holster is the limit they're comfortable with... I'll keep quiet... (after I've mouthed off)!

Find a right hand strong side holster, and put it on the other side (left)  of your belt buckle, tilt it back slightly and do some practicing.  

11 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

If your belt is over 44 you won’t be able to reach your pistol as your arm will be too short to reach across your stomach.  Believe me I have tried! Irish ☘️ Pat

You must have alligator arms. ;)

12 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

What Griff said!

IMG_4117-1.jpg

Beautiful rig.  The only thing I have to say is I would prefer the seam area of the crossdraw come up so the trigger guard is supported.  That way there is less likelihood of the gun falling out if you bend over.  The trigger can remain exposed or not, as with a single action revolver you can't fire the gun by pulling the trigger unless the gun is cocked in the holster...which is a definite NO-NO!  Double-action revolvers should have the trigger and guard completely covered to prevent an AD if the wearer is in heavy brush.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

I opted to go with a cross draw my 1st Summer.  I was not coordinated enough with my left hand to be able to accurately hit the left holster every time.  I then adopted the stance of turning my left hip toward the targets.  I didn't know there was a name for this stance.   (A "Weaver" stance, (left hip forward)). 

I slide the cross draw forward to shoot, then slide it back to my side after shooting.

I first used strong side for a short time then went to Xdraw with around 22% cant..I too use the left hip forward &  just shoot without any worries , the best thing I've found is I now always put both pistols back to leather using my left hand..I don't think now a days the Xdraw is as popular as many are using the double strong sides that are close to the buckle & canted towards the groin..boils down to whats comfortable & works for you.

I've found it most comfortable to have a near zero cant, maybe 5 degrees, and wear the holster in front of my left leg.  I bought a rig with three holsters, two strong side and a cross draw, can switch them out if desired. 

2 hours ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

Only a few addressed how much can’t they have.  I was hoping to see all ranges and see which seems to be the one preferred by more and why.

15 tops. The butt of the gun will cause a droop as will a belly

A little off-topic but I had suggested to me to use a left hand crossdraw holster on my left side so the muzzle would point forward, drawing left handed. Has anyone tried that?

On 2/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

Beautiful rig.  The only thing I have to say is I would prefer the seam area of the crossdraw come up so the trigger guard is supported.  That way there is less likelihood of the gun falling out if you bend over.  The trigger can remain exposed or not, as with a single action revolver you can't fire the gun by pulling the trigger unless the gun is cocked in the holster...which is a definite NO-NO!  Double-action revolvers should have the trigger and guard completely covered to prevent an AD if the wearer is in heavy brush.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Thanks!  Alfonso's of Hollywood does nice work. 

I understand what you're saying about covering the trigger guard, however I specifically wanted to duplicate the

walk and draw steel lined holsters when I ordered this.  I'll also add, I use the hammer loops when the guns are

holstered, except for when I walk onto the firing line to shoot the stage.

Either that or they're in the gun cart!

I slide the cross draw holster as far back as I can until I address the firing line, and then it slides forward to the

position you see in the picture.

Ride safe,

SC

Look at colt Farook's rigs.  If I would ever get a new x draw rig it would be one of his. 

Functional works of art. 

General Ledger,

I just bought a cross draw rig from Doc Noper.  The crossdraw has a zero degree cant and the strong side holster has a 15 degree cant.   I also have a cross draw holster from Doc with a 15 degree cant.  Doc makes great rigs and I would suggest a cant of anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees.  Listed below is a link to his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=doc noper gun leather

Best of luck in picking a rig and a leather maker.

Photo Shooter 

IMG_8664.JPG

Archived