SASS Wire Forum

Help with bullet molds

evil dogooder

Helping an estate clear up some things. 

I don't cast so I have no clue on these

Some are Lyman, some ideal some Lee.    Vary from .309 to 45-70-500. Round and conical. 

14 molds with handles and 4 or five more without.  

Also included is some things that look like drop tubes and what looks like an awl to make a heel cavity?

What's a fair price?

I'll give you some "retail-used, excellent condition" prices and you can knock off from there.  Dings, rust, damaged cavities or mating surfaces, heavy dirt or leading on molds, etc will be major deductions.

Lyman 1 cavity - $50

Lyman 2 cavity - $60

Lyman 4 cavity - $80

Lyman handles around $15

Lee 1 cavity $10

Lee 2 cavity $20

Lee 6 Cavity $40

Lee handles around $8, but 6 cavity set about $15

The mold with a hollow base pin  - if single cavity Lyman $60

Gonna have to get lucky to find someone who is a caster any more.   If it's a gun shop or eBay'er buying, they won't give you retail level pricing of course.

Good luck, GJ

On the Lee moulds, you can enter the number stamped on the mould in search and it will give you the item.

RCBS and Lyman moulds without handles $65 shipped. With handles add an additional $40.00

Lee moulds come with handles attached. $25.00 shipped. Only exception are Lee 6 cavity moulds $60. without handles and $75 shipped.

Order Priority mail flat rate padded envelopes online from USPS. There is no charge for them and they should be large enough to ship each item. Just about the cheapest and easiest way to ship plus you get tracking.

What doesn't sell right away, you can drop the price on.  

BTW these are the prices I sold moulds for last fall and winter.

As a caster, I am always looking for certain molds. eBay is absolutely going nuts over almost any mold. Lee molds are topping $100. I would check there to see what they are selling for and castboolits.com.

It will be more work, but I think you would get more selling by piece.

If they are hard to find molds they could be very valuable right now. It would be easy to search eBay by the mold numbers to see what comes up and what they are selling for. I currently have four eBay searches going right now for 41 colt molds, plus on the advice of Sedalia Dave, I also ordered one from Accurate Molds. Myself and about a millon other folks are dying for .224 molds that they can use in AR-15s. Molds for .308 are hot as well. Molds for 9mm, 45 acp, and just about any common pistol caliber is like gold. 

45 minutes ago, Cholla said:

If they are hard to find molds they could be very valuable right now. It would be easy to search eBay by the mold numbers to see what comes up and what they are selling for. I currently have four eBay searches going right now for 41 colt molds, plus on the advice of Sedalia Dave, I also ordered one from Accurate Molds. Myself and about a millon other folks are dying for .224 molds that they can use in AR-15s. Molds for .308 are hot as well. Molds for 9mm, 45 acp, and just about any common pistol caliber is like gold. 

Sounds good.   There is a .224, one for .30 cal rifles, 2 for 45s some 44swc. .457.  .311. 54 cal mini ball ..45 colt .44 round ball. 457 round ball and a container full that I haven't looked at yet

Evil, how many molds are there in the estate?

Key to selling lot or individually.

Next, Lee, then new Lyman then Lyman/ Ideal and Ideal are the increasing price ranges.  You will see this on eBay.

Now, value is dependent on how scarce or popular a mold is ... depending on caliber.

Round Balls, cheap. 38 Spl and 30-30 a little more expensive ... the odd balls, 32-20, 32-40, 38-55, etc run much higher.  And I doubt the estate has any of the Ideal Perfection molds (0ne mold adjustable or many weights) but if so, depending caliber ... up to $300

List the mold names and mold numbers in this thread and several of us can provide better $$ numbers or put on as an attachment there are many molds

And what method is to be used to sell them?

Take pics of the Lee moulds showing the numbers and send to me. I will look them up for you. Been through what you are dealing with.

Archived