SASS Wire Forum

Scored some MORE lead. The VIDEO of making ingots!

Warden Callaway

1 minute ago, Noz said:

Double bit axe. A cheep steel pot and a turkey fryer also works.

I got it all into ingots.  But I had more trouble than usual.  I neglected the fire to start with and lost a lot of time getting it built back up.  Once the first pot load got up to melting temperature,  and I kepted up with the heat,  the project moved along.  

I went ahead today because the wind was predicted to be light.  But it was changing constantly - always towards me. 

I need to pick up about 50 more ingots before I can weigh the total. 

8 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I went ahead today because the wind was predicted to be light.  But it was changing constantly - always towards me. 

Make a wind screen out of two wooden frames and screen wire. Make two or three frames 3 to 4 feet square and join them together with a couple of hinges.  Set them in a "V"or "U" pattern so they are self supporting. The screen mesh slows down the wind but doesn't cause it to whip around the edges like if would if the panels were solid. For stronger winds you can anchor it with an electric fence post at the hinge point. P the post into the ground upside down so that the triangle sits on top of the panels and holds them in place.  

25 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

...I went ahead today because the wind was predicted to be light.  But it was changing constantly - always towards me. ...

Fire pulls air in from the ground level.  When you stand by the fire you interrupt the flow of air creating a vacuum.  Smoke is pulled into the vacuum and towards the interruption, in this case, you.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:48 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

How much useable lead do you figure you'll get out of that 90# pipe once you melt it down into ingots?  

Angus

Here is the yeald from the pipe.  I zeroed out the scales with the 2x4s but not the bucket.  There is a few scrap pieces to pick up but won't amount to much.

20210225_165933.jpg.73386924573273441a7f8641d9afc5d1.jpg

I e-mailed a local recycler to see if I could purchase soft lead scrap. He replied right back that he can't sell to the public, it has to go to a smelter.  :( I'm looking to get 50-100# for muzzle loader balls and C7B of course.

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Scored some MORE lead. The VIDEO of making ingots!

Archived