SASS Wire Forum

Scored some MORE lead. The VIDEO of making ingots!

Warden Callaway

Oldest son found some lead for me.  60lb. I'm not sure it's pure lead. It scratches easily.  I melt bulk range scrap and such in a dutch oven.   But I'm afraid this ingot wouldn't fit well. Any suggestions as to how to change into smaller denominations?  

1576129596_LeadFeb2021.jpg.67e521ecb7e6990cc9a1ca299cae76e8.jpg

I have used a propane torch on large pieces before,  had one end in the melting pot and melt off what you want.

I have a firewood processor that may sheer it.  But, I may use it as a doorstop until some time when I may need it. I have several hundred pounds I've not dipped into. 

5aa7fe6457038_Lead3March2018.jpg.92e64191920711dc10961e2b74647087.jpg

This is my BIG lead pot I use to recycle lead from my traps and scrap lead. 

Bandsaw or sawzall with large-tooth blades. Chainsaw teeth makes a good reference for tooth spacing. So use a chainsaw. Sharp chainsaw blade. Collect and melt the shavings. You want blades with large gullets or they will fill up and slow cutting or even get hot.

I used a circular saw on a large 1/4" thick chunk. Set up a tarp to catch the lead dust as it were. I used a general construction blade and it cut like 1/8" plywood.

24 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It should be dried out by now.

I'll slow heat it in the spring. Been bit by "dry" water lines. Tinsel shower! 

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll slow heat it in the spring. Been bit by "dry" water lines. Tinsel shower! 

I tend to put range lead and scrap in a cold pot,  put it on the fire and walk away.  It seems to steam off any moisture before reaching critical heat level.  

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I tend to put range lead and scrap in a cold pot,  put it on the fire and walk away.  It seems to steam off any moisture before reaching critical heat level.  

That's what I do NOW. I dropped a cut of pipe in once and emptied my pot. I was a newbie with no idea that could happen.

I've cut up a couple of sailboat keels, 1- 600 and 1- 300 lbs. Found that a crosscut circular saw blade works best. Sawzalls take WAY too long. The chips just fall onto the ground/tarp, easy to pick up and melt with the rest of the chunks.

Scored even more lead!  I took the mystery coil back to scrap yard to see what they had to say. They kept repeatedly saying "it's lead".  I'd ask,  not zink? And they reply no, it's lead. If it's lead it has a lot of tin and antimony in it.  I kept it.

553922747_CoilofleadlikemetalJan2021.thumb.jpg.30b827ce51338dbcce5cd4fa73d94ce6.jpg

I asked if they had gotten in any more soft lead. The old guy went hunting around the piles of junk on the muddy lot.  He pulled out a tangled wad of lead pipe.  Turned out to weigh 90 pounds.

1036615897_LeadpipeFeb2021.jpg.81d76314adb8060a4c40f920a3bdb99d.jpg

I can cut this up with an ax.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Scored even more lead!  I took the mystery coil back to scrap yard to see what they had to say. They kept repeatedly saying "it's lead".  I'd ask,  not zink? And they reply no, it's lead. If it's lead it has a lot of tin and antimony in it.  I kept it.

553922747_CoilofleadlikemetalJan2021.thumb.jpg.30b827ce51338dbcce5cd4fa73d94ce6.jpg

I asked if they had gotten in any more soft lead. The old guy went hunting around the piles of junk on the muddy lot.  He pulled out a tangled wad of lead pipe.  Turned out to weigh 90 pounds.

1036615897_LeadpipeFeb2021.jpg.81d76314adb8060a4c40f920a3bdb99d.jpg

I can cut this up with an ax.

How much useable lead do you figure you'll get out of that 90# pipe once you melt it down into ingots?  

Angus

20 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

How much useable lead do you figure you'll get out of that 90# pipe once you melt it down into ingots?  

Angus

I'll let you know.  I hope to get to it sometime soon.  I hope it's not full of lime. 

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Angus

About 88 pounds.

Lime, water, hair, who knows what else. But it sure makes nice soft lead once ingotized. Just be very careful putting it in the pot, and NEVER aim the back of the pipe at your self, they make nice steam cannons!

33 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Lime, water, hair, who knows what else. But it sure makes nice soft lead once ingotized. Just be very careful putting it in the pot, and NEVER aim the back of the pipe at your self, they make nice steam cannons!

I always fill scrap lead into my big Dutch oven when it's cold and empty,  set it on the fire and walk away.  When I see it's stopped smoking and has black junk floating on top,  I come and check, clean, flux and start making ingots.  I don't add scrap lead into a pot of molten lead. 

I should do that also, but when I have 300 lbs of scrap to do I get impatient. So I just wear lots of protective gear and be as careful as I can. I have been a victim of the tinsel fairy on occasion. :)

I'm working at melting the lead pipe that I scored yesterday. Looks REALLY good.  Thick walls and clean inside.  I'm cutting it up with limb loppers.  

1733159215_LeadpipeinthepotFeb2021.jpg.203a19cfe332d9d8d822f00bbeea97e9.jpg

I could probably go right into the Lee 20lb pot but there is always a chance water is trapped in a coil. I'm set up and going now anyway. 

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Scored some MORE lead. This time pipe.

When we went to move some young guys from our church were helping us load. When they grabbed those 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights they almost died from shock!

And thanks for the idea of the limb lopper, never would have thought of that!

On 2/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Kid Rich said:

Ax or hatchet is the cleanest and easiest.

kR

Double bit axe. 

Archived