SASS Wire Forum

Help, finding rifle rule change for hammer on safety notch

jeeper90

Page 14:

Safety & Handling Conventions – Rifles

• Rifles may be staged with the magazine loaded, action closed, hammer fully down on the empty chamber (NOT the safety notch), with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction (adheres to the 170° rule).

And in definition on page 42:

Cocked  hammer not fully down (full, half-cock or safety notch).

- Leaving the Loading Area with a cocked/loaded Rifle: In such instances, the shooter will be directed to point the rifle safely downrange, bring the hammer to full cock if it is in the half-cock/safety position, then pull the trigger. If no round is fired, the shooter will be directed to finish staging firearms in order to start the stage (No Call). If a round fires when the shooter pulls the trigger, the shooter will be assessed a STAGE DQ and directed to proceed to the unloading table.

SHB pp.11-12

- Initially staging a long gun with the hammer cocked/action closed (once it leaves the shooter’s hands).

- Second offense, in the same match, for “shooting out of category.”

- Changing location/moving with a live round under a cocked hammer or firearm with the hammer down on a live round.

- Changing location with a long gun with the action closed and the hammer cocked (exception for rifle from the loading table to the stage with no round chambered).

"Penalties Overview" (SDQ) SHB p.22

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Those are not rule changes.

Looking deeper, I agree. My quotes were for existing rules before the changes.

I don't know how you keep all of this in your head (changes versus existing), I'm still trying to catch up to the point the rules are at.

I did take a look in part because the manufacturer of my 1873 (Winchester, but actually Miroku), documents in the manual of arms storing the rifle at partial cock.

I have no issue with having the hammer down on an empty chamber in competition. As I read the rule change per your post, I get a free pass (no call) if I have my Winchester/Miroku at half cock when I leave the loading table as long as, when prompted, I fully cock it and demonstrate no round fires when I pull the trigger. And pray it was not a misfire, and the first cycle of the action at the the beep does not result in ejecting an unfired round... With a strike on the primer...

23 minutes ago, jeeper90 said:

Thanks, is there a section that show the TG changes?

Those are the changes based on the TG vote.

Additional clarifications (based on the rule change) can be found HERE

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

As I read the rule change per your post, I get a free pass (no call) if I have my Winchester/Miroku at half cock when I leave the loading table as long as, when prompted, I fully cock it and demonstrate no round fires when I pull the trigger.

...As long as the rifle has not left your control at any time after you left the loading table before it was realized that it was at half cock and you demonstrate that there is no round in the chamber...

Archived