SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 27? 32-20 pump. Legal?

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I've never been up on Marlins much, and had never heard of these or of anyone using one until I saw one for sale.  It has an exposed hammer.  And if legal, would it be legal to extend the short magazine to full length?  Last question, anyone own or shot one of these and have an opinion?   Thanks.

I'd never heard of the Marlin 27... sounds like a neat li'l shooter!  :)

The model started out as the model 27 in 1909, and with the improved safety as the 27S in about 1911. It was made up to WWI, and again after the war until 1932. The calibers were .25-20, .32-20, and .25 Rim Fire....

The model 27/27S was around longer than any other Marlin pump action rifle. They are very solid guns, and have a good reputation for quality, although they were never a high dollar item.

These guns were available in either full octagon or round barrels, of 24" length. Special sights, checkering, and engraving were optional on earlier guns, but post WWI era guns tend to have no special options, except sights. Only straight grip models were made.

The 27 was designed by John Marlin and LL Hepburn.

Gun Marlin 27-S Pump Action Rifle in 32-20 WIN

It was introduced by Marlin in 1910. 

I would expect it to be disallowed due to the rule in the Rifle Requirements section:

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or
slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,
incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.

Cool looking, seems pretty close to the Winchester 1906 pump rifle design.

good luck, GJ

As I understand the reasoning on Big Boy, it is considered a "commercial copy" of Marlin's 1894 design.   THAT certainly was not my idea of good enough.  But it has been our rule for several years.  And just because it's legal doesn't make it viable and competitive.

But a copy of a 1906 or an actual 1910 gun falls outside the date period allowed.

good luck, GJ

And I believe the "approximately" applies to 1860, and the 1899 cutoff is a hard date.  Perhaps a rules committee member would like to comment?

As always,  requests to your Territorial Governor would be a way to try to effect a rules modification....

Good luck, GJ

15 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And I believe the "approximately" applies to 1866, and the 1899 cutoff is a hard date.  Perhaps a rules committee member would like to comment?

As always,  requests to your Territorial Governor would be a way to try to effect a rules modification....

Good luck, GJ

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters. Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval. Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.

SHB p.32

"FMC"s are forwarded to the ROC for consideration based on a number of factors.

If a firearm or modification is prohibited by current SASS rules (requiring an actual rule change) it must go through the process of being approved as a "voting item" to be sent to the Territorial Governors for consideration.

I guess nobody has asked to make it legal before.  I'm not really a pump guy, but I like the 32-20 and these looked kind of neat, though the receiver is somewhat blocky.  And of course it won't hold ten as-is.  There are a bunch of them on gunbroker, so I guess they can't be too rare.  I was surprised I had never heard of them before.

I saw one for sale a few years ago, and as someone who already uses and loves the Lightning, and .32-20 caliber, it looked intriguing to me.   I do recall asking about its legality for SASS, but I don't remember what the verdict was.  Several pards did say they would not object if I showed up with one though.  They felt like how certain other "modern" designs that are evocative of guns of the era are legal, this one would be okay under the same line of thought.  Given how it only has a 7 round capacity, it does have a built in handicap, but so does the Spencer.    In the end, I decided against getting it, but they are interesting looking firearms.

19 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

must go through the process of being approved as a "voting item" to be sent to the Territorial Governors for consideration.

That'll take 2 years.

Trying to understand the FMC. Is it because its doesn't hit the 1899 date? It's a pump in an approved caliber, external hammer, and made by a recognized manufacturer.

The submission of an FMC would be the initial step to determine whether it might fall within the "approximate" mandated date range.

(I would suggest NOT referring to the Henry Big Boy rifles (or Ruger revolvers) in making an argument to legalize the Marlin 27)

This is the previous Wire discussion mentioned in an earlier post (July 2018):

Marlin 27S .32-20 Rifle - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The submission of an FMC would be the initial step to determine whether it might fall within the "approximate" mandated date range.

(I would suggest NOT referring to the Henry Big Boy rifles (or Ruger revolvers) in making an argument to legalize the Marlin 27)

This is the previous Wire discussion mentioned in an earlier post (July 2018):

Marlin 27S .32-20 Rifle - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

Hey, that''s the thread I started a couple of years ago.  Was nice to read it over again.  Funny, but a lot of it does touch on what you suggest not be discussed.   Sorry about all that if I made a boo boo.

I was wondering about how the 27-S was loaded, and from the other thread (thanks PWB, I must have missed that one) it appears to be loaded somehow through the magazine tube.  So now I'm curious, for those who have had them, as to whether you can load a round through the ejection port or not for a reload (or for loading 3 on the clock, one at a time).  If this pump became legal and even if it had a full length mag tube added, you would still need to be able to reload on the clock.  Other tube-loaded guns (Big Boy for example) can load a round through the ejection port.

Archived