SASS Wire Forum

Of Redcoats and Grenades

Subdeacon Joe

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I once had a copy of "The Dirty Songbook" with, ah..., um...Interesting....versions of songs.  Songs like "Bless Them All," and "The Colonel Boogie March," and, of course, "The British Grenadiers." The closing verse:

And when he does retire,
To take his well-earned rest,
There burns an ancient fire,
To do what he does best.
And yet, the truth is bitter,
There's one thing he does fear,
It's the drip, drip, drip of the septic p***k
Of a British Grenadier.

As a young man, when I first joined the Ceremonial Guard of The Governor Generals Foot Guards, I paraded to that at The Changing of The Guard Ceremony on Parliament Hill, every day for the tourists.

Bearskin, (Busby) got awfully hot in July.

badge-governor-generals-foot-guards.jpg

20 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

They did not do well at the Battle of New Orleans!

Their hearts weren't in it, otherwise, you'd be speaking proper English.

Another Stir the Pot.jpg

couch.gif

LaughingSmiley.gif

2 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

I lot of us speak Cajun English

We call that FRANGLAIS.

Consider this: If American English speakers hadn't stepped up you Proper English speakers would be speaking German today. ;)

On 2/22/2021 at 11:25 PM, DeaconKC said:

Consider this: If American English speakers hadn't stepped up you Proper English speakers would be speaking German today. ;)

Possibly, but with the Channel, the RAF, the Royal Navy and the Commonwealth soldiery starting to pour into the UK, I doubt it.

That said, December 7, 1941, my Father told my Mother "We just won the war!" when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, but it's worth noting that at that time, the British Empire had been at war with Nazi Germany for 27 months.

While kicked out of France at Dunkirk and enduring a slow build up of men and material from overseas, including what was coming from the neutral United States it would have taken almost twice as long to defeat Nazi Germany, but it would have happened, although most of Europe would now be speaking Russian.

Archived