SASS Wire Forum

The Rain of Plane Parts

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/airplane-parts-fall-broomfield/73-298bbbf8-637a-42a5-8bd0-5ca9b03c0f19?fbclid=IwAR3Alzul44ltNxaoldGMIjXkEnynbAUTGSlWSjf3OxZuH3S1WswwqVHTB7w

BROOMFIELD, Colo. — Metal airplane parts fell from the sky on Saturday afternoon from a passing aircraft in the Broomfield area, according to law enforcement and fire agencies.

Broomfield Police said parts had fallen in Commons Park, the Red Leaf neighborhood and the Northmoor Estates neighborhood. That is in the areas of West 136th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard and East 13th Avenue and Elmwood Street. Photos showed one large piece in the front yard of a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxe4cQzUIY&feature=emb_err_woyt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk53jNLSdTw

Yikes (and a whole bunch of other words my Mom wishes I didn't use)!!

Thanks to the pilot and crew who found the ground without anyone getting injured.  Just as worthy of  praise and gratitude as Sully’s landing in the Hudson River, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Thanks to the pilot and crew who found the ground without anyone getting injured.  Just as worthy of  praise and gratitude as Sully’s landing in the Hudson River, in my opinion.

Also a big Bravo Zulu to Air Traffic Control for the juggling act they had to do to get him back on the ground.

One good thing about living here is we have flight paths the North of us and a few to the South but never have any traffic directly overhead. Just in case. Except for the occasional B-1 for some reason. But nothing could go wrong with a bomber right? -_-

(insert appropriate news articles)

There’re great pilots, and there are  lucky pilots! :blink:

Wife and I are scheduled to take a flight in the MidWest the end of March. She doesn't like flying very much anyway.  Although she watches the local news, I don't think she has seen this...I hope.  I really don't want to have to drive from Colorado to Minnesota!  Wonder who pays for repairs to the roof of the house that got hit? United Airlines? Boeing? Their homeowner's insurance (doubtful).  Better get some plastic over that hole before the next snow!  Was that pickup truck dinged?  Who pays the cleaning bills for the passenger's clothing?  

Congrats to the aircrew that got things under control and landed safely!  Everybody praises the pilot, justifiably, but I guarantee it took teamwork from the flightdeck crew!  I would imagine the passenger who took the videos of the engine will have the images turned over to NTSB for analysis!

Oh, well, any one you walk away from is a good landing! :blink:

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Wonder who pays for repairs to the roof of the house that got hit? United Airlines? Boeing? Their homeowner's insurance (doubtful).  Better get some plastic over that hole before the next snow!  Was that pickup truck dinged?  Who pays the cleaning bills for the passenger's clothing?  

Insurance will pay the bills. The companies will duke it out with each other over which company(s) pays what in a process called subrogation. 

You don't see that every day.

The 777 was designed with those big'ol engines so it would be fully certified for overwater flights. It's easily capable of flying on one. Having this happen on takeoff is just extra spicy and not only a testament to Boeing, but to the pilots. Ain't easy flying on just one! (don't ask me how I know that LOL)

Either there was a catastrophic engine failure or it sucked up something it didn't like. (I'm purty sure it'd take more than a bird to do that) Those engines have been in service over 20 years and are darned reliable. Unusual to see the cowling almost completely blown away and it was still running sorta! That fire is about where the combuster section is but the fire's s'posed to be on the inside hee-hee. With all the damage and the vibration that one heck of a pylon. Still held the ting on the wing!

3 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

You don't see that every day.

The 777 was designed with those big'ol engines so it would be fully certified for overwater flights. It's easily capable of flying on one. Having this happen on takeoff is just extra spicy and not only a testament to Boeing, but to the pilots. Ain't easy flying on just one! (don't ask me how I know that LOL)

Either there was a catastrophic engine failure or it sucked up something it didn't like. (I'm purty sure it'd take more than a bird to do that) Those engines have been in service over 20 years and are darned reliable. Unusual to see the cowling almost completely blown away and it was still running sorta! That fire is about where the combuster section is but the fire's s'posed to be on the inside hee-hee. With all the damage and the vibration that one heck of a pylon. Still held the ting on the wing!

Looking like failure rather than FOD.  Seems there is a bit of a history of blade failure, as well as poor inspection procedures:  http://aerossurance.com/safety-management/ndi-failures-b777-pw4077-fbo/?fbclid=IwAR2zvoHlgZxS4vokv5STefNMMhQCWeAn-DZtw2UFwIDCMxb6d9JNNJpjYC0

And, from a FB private group that is heavy in aviators/aviation mechanics, mostly with military background:

Do we have a P&W 777 grounding upcoming? It would appear that there are thousands of blades out there that received faulty inspections.
The OEM, Pratt & Whitney, does the actual blade inspections and recertification, not UAL Mx.
UA328 plane from yesterdays flight N772UA’s sister aircraft, N773UA, also a 777-222, experienced nearly the same event in 2018.
During the accident flight (2018) while in cruise at flight level (FL) 360, the flight crew heard a loud bang, followed by a violent shaking and warnings of a compressor stall.Two small punctures were found in the right-hand fuselage just below the window line. This occurred over the Pacific Ocean shortly before top of descent when en route to Honolulu
N772UAs NTSB report:
If you click into the article the NTSB report (issued 13 July 2020) reviewing P&W is somewhat scathing.
The records for the TAI inspection in July 2015 as well as an earlier TAI accomplished in March 2010 revealed a thermal indication in the same location as where the LCF crack occurred.
July 2015 TAI inspection was annotated ‘paint’ that, according to the inspector, was consistent with him accepting the indication because he thought it was an issue with the paint. Flaking paint was a regular issue, affecting perhaps 25% of blades
The 1st shift inspector was trained by the engineers who developed the process and the 2nd shift inspector, who was the one who last inspected the United Airlines fan blade that fractured, was trained by the 1st shift inspector. Both inspectors stated that their training on the TAI was about 40 hours of on-the-job training. In comparison, the certification requirements for the commonly used eddy current and ultrasonic inspections are 40 hours of classroom training and 1,200 and 1,600 hours of practical experience, respectively.
One NTSB inspector stated: The TAI training that he received never provided any reference material on what to look at. He was provided with some photos, but he said that they were very distorted. He did receive a study guide when he started the OJT that was about the steps to power up the machine
One inspector complained that the procedures for the inspection were “written for the lab rather than the shop” and had “lots of gaps”. They were on available electronically and it appears there was only one computer between two workstations.
in 2015 [when the last inspection on the failed blade], and still in 2018 when the incident occurred, P&W was still categorizing the TAI as a new and emerging technology after having inspected over 9,000 fan blades.
At one point, P&W did provide [formal] training on the TAI, however, neither of the two inspectors were permitted to attend the training so that they could work to clear out a backlog of blades in the shop
clearing the backlog appears to have been more important than formal training to do the inspection! It is also noted that the backlog resulted in ‘”a lot of overtime”, up to an 4 extra hours a day and 12 hours work on Saturday, begging questions of personnel fatigue.
The P&W lab itself only had one computer for the reference materials that was shared among inspectors and the labs windows caused false positive when afternoon sunlight shined on the inspection equipment.
Conclusion: The lack of training resulted in the inspector making an incorrect evaluation of an indication that resulted in a blade with a crack being returned to service where it eventually fractured.
Despite it being a critical inspection facility, only one inspector had seen the FAA visit the inspection facility
NDI Process Failures Preceded B777 PW4077 Engine FBO - Aerossurance

OhHO! LOL, thanks for that article Joe, I was kinda figuring that and it's gonna suck for the airlines (but the A&P people will be making bank on all the OT maybe LOL) Airbus A300/A330, B767 (dot mil ain't gonna like that one) B747-400. Imagine that. Or, if it was the GE engine, all those other planes can breathe easy because the 777 is the only one uses that I think.

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which link?

The first one. Oddly enough, when I clicked it again another ad popped up but the volume was automatically turned off and it was in English. 

In Broomfield 

The rain from the plane

Could hit you in the brain

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The first one. Oddly enough, when I clicked it again another ad popped up but the volume was automatically turned off and it was in English. 

Not odd at all.  The ads are not fixed in their content. 

Archived