SASS Wire Forum

"The Moment"

Subdeacon Joe

Glyphs.

image001.jpg

Image 1 - Coso Mountains

The Moment

Apr 08, 2016

Perhaps a 1000 summers have come and gone since this glyph was etched into the stone, and yet it story is as clear and precise as the day it was made. This story is a moment in time that was treasured by an individual. To truly understand this moment we must understand this ancient archer. This glyph was no doubt made by one person who had a name, a family and was an important part of his tribe. There were reasons that he chose this moment, this incident, to transmit to the ages. It’s all about what it meant to be an archer in this ancient bighorn sheep hunting cult. If we have some understanding of this lost art, this lost way of life we can better understand the depth of this moment, which is the thrill of the kill. While this concept might be repulsive to many people in our present machine age culture, this moment has depth in philosophy and spirituality in their ancient hunter gatherer worldview. I think there is much that our culture “cult” can learn from this glyph, this moment in time. In this way this moment that has transcended time, will have also transcended the human culture that etched it into the stone.

The small line representing the bow in this glyph doesn’t transmit the technology and craftsmanship that went in to this instrument to somebody that isn’t familiar with traditional archery. Archery is complex and in many ways it is the cradle of technology. To understand this petroglyph and the moment it preserves, we have to have some understanding of ancient archery. To do this we will explore two possible bows that this archer might’ve used to get some understanding of the technology and craftsmanship that went into these instruments. From there we might gain a deeper more meaningful understand of the philosophical and even spiritual implications that these bows would’ve had on these ancient archers and their culture as a whole.

It’s humbling to realize that nothing I create will last as long as these scratches on stone.  I also have a fossil fish about 3” long from Fossil Butte National Monument. It will still be here when memories of me don’t exist.  It gives one perspective.

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It’s humbling to realize that nothing I create will last as long as these scratches on stone.  I also have a fossil fish about 3” long from Fossil Butte National Monument. It will still be here when memories of me don’t exist.  It gives one perspective.

During a 1st semester Geology field trip to the Marble Mountains in CA I broke open a rock and found a trilobite fossil.  It struck me that this was the first time it had seen sunlight in half a billion years.  VERY humbling.  

Come on over to Price, Utah July 16-17 and shoot the "Castle Gate Robbery" a great shoot put on by the finest group of people you'll ever meet.  On a great Range paid for in part by Phillips Petroleum which by it's self is something to see and I'll personally take you though 9 mile canyon a whole day of Petroglyphs a trip well worth your time..    

Archived