SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 94 version of the Marlin Jam

ZigMar

Today, after putting 4 rifle rounds down-range on stage 1, my Winchester 94AE decided to to what I'm calling it's version of the Marlin Jam.  It managed to feed a round out of the mag-tube and UNDER the lifter when cycling.  I was able to get it and the remaining rounds still in the mag-tube cleared by removing the mag end plug, spring and follower, which was a refreshing surprise.  I thought I was going to have to take the whole back end of the gun apart, something I've done before, but don't look forward to doing.  The first photo is a picture where one can see the offending round in between the lifter and floor plate, not where it is supposed to be.  The second photo is after I got things cleared.  Any ideas on what the issue may have been and what an appropriate fix may be?

20210220_130757.jpg

20210220_131512.jpg

I had that happen when I used a '94 years ago.  The '94 action was developed for rifle cartridges and was not altered when the rifle was brought out in 45 Colt.  It can't be short stroked or modified to work as fast as a  '66, '73, or even a '92.  That was one of the reasons I switched to a '73 and '66. 

7 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I had that happen when I used a '94 years ago.  The '94 action was developed for rifle cartridges and was not altered when the rifle was brought out in 45 Colt.  It can't be short stroked or modified to work as fast as a  '66, '73, or even a '92.  That was one of the reasons I switched to a '73 and '66. 

Agreed that a Win 94 isn't the best for this game, but it's what I have.  I just find it odd that this particular gun has decided to exhibit this failure mode after I've been using it for CAS a couple of times a month for only 4-5 years.  Doesn't seem like it should be that worn that quick?

I looked at mine.  The tab at the end of the link at the bottom of the magazine follower, which keeps the next shell in the magazine tube when the carrier is up, may be worn.  That's probably why the shell slipped out of the magazine tube.  That's the only thing I can see that could cause the problem other than possibly short stroking the lever.

I agree, check that tab.  That was the source of the same Issue I had years ago.

--Dawg

19 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I agree, check that tab.  That was the source of the same Issue I had years ago.

--Dawg

That's what I'm afraid of.  Is there a fix or replace the whole bottom plate?

When I started shooting SASS you either used a 94 Winchester or a Marlin, very few Winchester 73's, and less Uberti's.  The Winchesters would jam all the time if you ran to fast.  When the Uberti's started coming good the Winchester 94 was a rear bird on the firing line.

Archived