SASS Wire Forum

Pens - need advice and recomendations please.

Raylan

I write everyday for work, pages and pages - work provided the awful generic capped ballpoints that were a pain to write with - thin, heavy pushing it over a page of writing, not convienent to carry. So I bought my own intially I used the liquid ink pens and loved them. Smooth, with clips that allowed them to disappear clipped to a t shirt collar, thicker barrel to hold onto, and flowed easily as you wrote accross a page. There are forms that I have to fill with writing at work and the paper or paper quality seemed to change - suddenly entire sections of paper couldn't be written on as the pen and ink would skip and not write, only to work fine on the next page or form. it got to be horribly frustrating. 

Eventually I found the G2 gel pens and they worked okay, better than the old awful generic ballpoints, but not as smooth as the liquid ink, yet wrote better than the liquid ink on the work forms. Yet now I am seeing more and more skipping on even the gel pens. Arrghh! 

Anyone have any recommendations for a refill for a pen and or a pen that writes easily but doesn't  skip - and a clip would be nice too.

A ball point pen that uses a Parker refill.

Replace the refill with a Fisher Space pen refill.

I sell a lot of them.

$50.00 

021.jpg

11 minutes ago, Raylan said:

I write everyday for work, pages and pages - work provided the awful generic capped ballpoints that were a pain to write with - thin, heavy pushing it over a page of writing, not convienent to carry. So I bought my own intially I used the liquid ink pens and loved them. Smooth, with clips that allowed them to disappear clipped to a t shirt collar, thicker barrel to hold onto, and flowed easily as you wrote accross a page. There are forms that I have to fill with writing at work and the paper or paper quality seemed to change - suddenly entire sections of paper couldn't be written on as the pen and ink would skip and not write, only to work fine on the next page or form. it got to be horribly frustrating. 

Eventually I found the G2 gel pens and they worked okay, better than the old awful generic ballpoints, but not as smooth as the liquid ink, yet wrote better than the liquid ink on the work forms. Yet now I am seeing more and more skipping on even the gel pens. Arrghh! 

Anyone have any recommendations for a refill for a pen and or a pen that writes easily but doesn't  skip - and a clip would be nice too.

I have found the PILOT G-2 refils to work quite well in my Pilot G-2 pens. Staples office supply has them on line for 4 pens @ $5.79 plus shipping. They also sell refills for them. I just refilled 5 pens myself. 

I ordered a fisher military space pen we'll see how it works. I have the G2 gel pens and they aren't working very well right now after being my go to pens after I had to give up my beloved pilot liquid ink pens. But still open to suggestions. Also how does one get the fisher refills to work in a Parker jotter?

I don't care for gel pens. Working in an industrial environment I'm not going to carry something that I'm not willing to lose or break.

I have been happy with the Zebra F301 pens.

Okay, here's one out of left field. Look at Pelikan fountain pens. Piston fillers that hold about a gallon of ink and write beautifully. Amazingly, one survived working as a Parole Agent!

My wife is a writer and she won't use anything but  a TUL pen. 

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

I ordered a fisher military space pen we'll see how it works. I have the G2 gel pens and they aren't working very well right now after being my go to pens after I had to give up my beloved pilot liquid ink pens. But still open to suggestions. Also how does one get the fisher refills to work in a Parker jotter?

They make a refill with a Parker adapter.

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Haven't used one in a good while, but Cross used to be mighty good. May be thinner than you like. I guess they're still around. Probably made in China if they are. :angry:

JHC

Cross refills are made in the USA. 

There are cheap Chinese copies available everywhere.

ink well and quill pen ? sorry had to throw that out - they always worked , as a kid the refillable quills were the norm , progressed through the cartridge models to those numerically sized drafting pens over the years , ive always preferred a pencil 

Howdy,

I have a space pen that lives in the glove box of whatever car I drive.

minus 20 f some winters and well over 100 in summer and it always works.

Go to the fisher site and look around. I bet you can find one that fits you well.

You dont have to buy the metal pen with a space ship on it....some are ten or so.

And check out the colors...colors of ink that is.

These are such a good deal that the Russians just buy them and dont knock off.

I imagine the chineeze have a knock off. I wouldnt know.

Best

CR

13 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Haven't used one in a good while, but Cross used to be mighty good. May be thinner than you like. I guess they're still around. Probably made in China if they are. :angry:

JHC

I have a Cross pen & pencil set in gold that my wife gave me when I was drafted in 1963. We were engaged and she said she wanted no excuses not to write her. :wub:

14 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Yes they are now made in China. I have 2 or three pre-Chinese ones I've had for decades.

Howdy,

Have you noticed that many places offer sanitized pens for you to sign with?

I bring my own. Ive carried my own for years. It was stolen at a gun show.

The bic Round  stic  M  is a fairly good cheepie.

Maybe try one and if it isnt too bad maybe your boss might buy them?

Nuff maybe in there??

Best

CR

I might have an old Cross if thats what you decide on.

Also probably some on ebay if you are careful and ask them.

They must have been marked....

Good luck.

I have some nice gold filled Cross pens and pencils as well as some silver from 40 plus years ago, they are very nice looking and heavy duty - but they are too thin and slick for me especially with all the writing I have to do. 

I bought a Fisher Space Pen - Non-Reflective Military Matte Black M4B- Cap-O-Matic as it wasn't as expensive as many others and will give it a try. 

I'm thinking at this point I will carry G2 pens with my work bag for work and then the Fisher Space Pen as part of my EDC clipped to my shirt, then if I come upon some of those unwritable sections of paper - I will put down the G2's and whip out the Fisher pen and see if it works. If the Fisher works for that, who knows maybe I will go back to my beloved Pilot liquid ink pens with the Fisher as backup.

I find the liquid ink pens write with ease across a page (though they can bleed through), the G2 gel pens are next for ease of use with lots of writing, and ballpoints are the hardest to push across pages and pages of writing. 

Not ideal to go with a two pen solution but better than having to use a ballpoint for everything, if only there was a liquid ink solution. And while I appreciate the fountain pen suggestion it isn't practical for me, and I would probably kill myself after hours of writing and scratching across the paper. The sound would leave me either suicidal or homicidal.

But I have a couple of dozen of the G2 gel pens so I need to use them up, they work pretty good, just frustrating as all heck when you have to fill out a specific section on a form and the pen won't write on that section of paper. Especially if you've been working for 12 to 20 hours, it just isn't what you want to have to deal with.

Per the problem of paper not taking ink or the pen skipping on sections of paper, I found this. Seems that oily or greasy paper often will not work with many pens. Especially those with roller balls. I wonder if someone handling the copy paper somewhere down the line had oily hands or used hand lotion while handling the paper?

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/9872/what-is-going-on-when-pen-stops-working-on-a-section-of-paper

Archived