SASS Wire Forum

Making Damascus barrels

J-BAR #18287

I found this silent black and white movie about Belgian craftsmen forging Damascus barrels in the 1920s on YouTube.  The background music is wonderful and the finished barrels are breathtaking.  When you have 25 minutes to spare, and you want to take the risk of wanting to add a Damascus shotgun to your collection...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9dlvRDuQU

At one time there was a youtube video of a gunmaker at Williamsburg, Virginia, making flintlocks from scratch. He made his own barrel from aq flat piece of steel. I don't think he forged the blank, but he did form the barrel on a mandrel. 

I love Damascus steel and have several shotguns with what i consider beautiful barrels.  I also have a few very well made Damascus knifes.  It's the craftsmanship not the utility most modern pieces are better because we learned to make better metal.    

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

Did you notice not one of them was wearing a glove.

OSHA inspectors would have a stroke.  These are not kids, and none of them are fat.  And the skills pretty much died with them.

20 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

At one time there was a youtube video of a gunmaker at Williamsburg, Virginia, making flintlocks from scratch. He made his own barrel from aq flat piece of steel. I don't think he forged the blank, but he did form the barrel on a mandrel. 

Saw that video. It's amazing that they could make hundreds of rifles that way, seems it would take forever and the war would be over by the time they produced enough!

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Saw that video. It's amazing that they could make hundreds of rifles that way, seems it would take forever and the war would be over by the time they produced enough!

Yeah, wasn't exactly a Henry Ford  production line kind of operation. 

On 2/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I tried to find it but couldn't. I remember it being posted here on the wire a few years ago.

Archived